Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Outdoor Time Included In T/S?
midaycare 11:53 AM 06-09-2017
We have 7 acres and our outdoor area for the kids takes quite a bit of upkeep since it is so wooded (constant raking and tree trimming).

Is this weekend work included in t/s? What about the work to maintain the trails we make for the kids in our woods?
AmyKidsCo 12:49 PM 06-09-2017
I think it depends on whether you'd do it without the daycare or not. For instance, we can't count the time spent mowing the lawn because we'd mow the lawn anyway. So if you're only doing the work for the daycare you can probably count it, but if you'd rake, trim, etc anyway you can't.
daycarediva 12:58 PM 06-09-2017
I think dc trails to run your business counts. My accountant said that bc my dc yard was separate dc only space, I could count that.
midaycare 02:26 PM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I think it depends on whether you'd do it without the daycare or not. For instance, we can't count the time spent mowing the lawn because we'd mow the lawn anyway. So if you're only doing the work for the daycare you can probably count it, but if you'd rake, trim, etc anyway you can't.
We've been spending days outside. To prepare for going from 6-12 kids, and we make trails just for dc use. But the time involved is extensive. Easily 40-50 hours a season just for trails.

I just don't want tax people coming back on me, saying nope!
TomCopeland 06:06 PM 06-10-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
We have 7 acres and our outdoor area for the kids takes quite a bit of upkeep since it is so wooded (constant raking and tree trimming).

Is this weekend work included in t/s? What about the work to maintain the trails we make for the kids in our woods?
You can count time if you would not be doing this work if you weren't in business. So, time to maintain trails that you wouldn't do if you were not in business would count in your time-space %. General upkeep of outdoor space (mowing law, trimming trees) that any homeowner would do, does not count as time.
midaycare 01:25 PM 06-11-2017
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You can count time if you would not be doing this work if you weren't in business. So, time to maintain trails that you wouldn't do if you were not in business would count in your time-space %. General upkeep of outdoor space (mowing law, trimming trees) that any homeowner would do, does not count as time.
Thanks Tom! All the outdoor time we spend on the daycare, particularly this year, as we are expanding the play area and making it nicer, will add another 2-5% on my t/s%, so I wanted to make sure I did it right!
Tags:deduction - landscape, time space percentage
Reply Up