Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New and Looking for Tips
trytobearunner34 08:43 AM 07-20-2017
Hi all! I have been an elementary school teacher and principal for the last 16 years. Before that I was a nanny, day care teacher, and babysitter since I was 13 years old.

My daughter (our first) was born in April and I have elected to stay at home with her but also would like to continue to bring in some form of income.

Beginning in August I will be caring for a two month old and a nine month old daily. Beginning in September I will also be caring for a three year old on Fridays.

I recognize that three babies (including my own) is a lot, though I should also that I am within my state's regulations and am in the process of becoming licensed.

I have, what I think is a good set up for napping, changing, feeding and playing, but am looking for any sage advice for anyone who has walked this path before.

Thanks in advance!
LittleScholars 10:58 AM 07-20-2017
My story is similar to yours! I opened a little over a year and a half ago so I could work from home with my infant son. Prior to that I taught and and worked in school leadership. This has been my absolute favorite chapter.

I would be to be sure my insurance company knows I'm caring for children and is willing to continue coverage. I would also purchase liability insurance. I'm not required to have liability insurance, but the risk concerns me. I had to shop around to find a company that would cover me with an in-home daycare. The company I was with didn't know I opened a daycare until I self-reported, but they would have dropped me if I filed a claim and they learned of the daycare. State Farm now provides home and liability coverage to home daycare owners in my area and I highly recommend them. I'm getting great insurance at a very good rate.

I would get CPR and first aid trained.

I would get Quickbooks right now and start documenting every single expense. You can write off the $10/month fee and it is so worth it. Don't wait until tax season or it becomes such a headache. Order Tom Copeland's tax books from Amazon and learn about the write-offs you are entitled to. You can write those books off, as well. I left so much money on the table the last two years.

With your experience, I don't think designing your program is the highest priority. I'm a rule follower and taxes and liability are my greatest concerns. Once you have systems in place to ensure you are protected in both of those areas I would start following this forum closely and snatching up tons of amazing ideas. The providers on here are beyond helpful and have so much insight.
LittleScholars 10:59 AM 07-20-2017
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
My story is similar to yours! I opened a little over a year and a half ago so I could work from home with my infant son. Prior to that I taught and and worked in school leadership. This has been my absolute favorite chapter.

Have you looked into getting licensed? If not, that would be my first step. I ask because in my state I would be out of compliance with those ages (unless I misunderstood something). If you aren't required to get licensed, be sure to understand the regulations and stay in compliance.

I would be to be sure my insurance company knows I'm caring for children and is willing to continue coverage. I would also purchase liability insurance. I'm not required to have liability insurance, but the risk concerns me. I had to shop around to find a company that would cover me with an in-home daycare. The company I was with didn't know I opened a daycare until I self-reported, but they would have dropped me if I filed a claim and they learned of the daycare. State Farm now provides home and liability coverage to home daycare owners in my area and I highly recommend them. I'm getting great insurance at a very good rate.

I would get CPR and first aid trained.

I would get Quickbooks right now and start documenting every single expense. You can write off the $10/month fee and it is so worth it. Don't wait until tax season or it becomes such a headache. Order Tom Copeland's tax books from Amazon and learn about the write-offs you are entitled to. You can write those books off, as well. I left so much money on the table the last two years.

With your experience, I don't think designing your program is the highest priority. I'm a rule follower and taxes and liability are my greatest concerns. Once you have systems in place to ensure you are protected in both of those areas I would start following this forum closely and snatching up tons of amazing ideas. The providers on here are beyond helpful and have so much insight.
Clearly I didn't read your post well. Ignore suggestion 1!
Cat Herder 12:49 PM 07-20-2017
I added some tags to the bottom of this thread that will take you directly to many other threads about opening a family childcare.

Welcome. Stick around.
LVG 10:00 AM 07-21-2017
I came into this with a teaching background as well...9 years as a special ed teacher. Started staying home after my second was around a year old. I also started with mostly babies and toddlers. I won't lie, if I had not just left a teaching career ending with a classroom full of kids with autism that had major behavior issues, the daycare would have been overwhelming! But that classroom had me more than prepared to take on baby world! Going from school aged kids to babies and toddlers is a whole new deal! So just go into it knowing that it feels chaotic, and that is normal. After a while that chaos will become your normal. You can write down this wonderful schedule, lesson plans, have everything organized, and well thought out, but it won't go as planned. Just accept that and keep on trucking! We followed a routine, that eventually led to a more concrete schedule. Lunch and naps were the two things I always did on time. Other than that, I had a plan, but it was a fluid plan that changed as needed. It's been a wonderful way to bring in additional income while I have been able to be there for my own kids. It's not a cake walk, but so worth it! Oh, and if you wake up feeling like a Mac truck hit you for weeks on end...it's just your body adjusting to the muscles it never used when you were just teaching! All that bending down to put on shoes, diapers, picking kids up, running after kids...it's a built in excercise program! Enjoy!!
trytobearunner34 12:04 PM 07-21-2017
Thank you all so much for the kind welcome and wise words! I will be sure to check out the tags.
knoxmomof2 08:07 AM 07-22-2017
Bahaha! Love this!

Originally Posted by LVG:
Oh, and if you wake up feeling like a Mac truck hit you for weeks on end...it's just your body adjusting to the muscles it never used when you were just teaching! All that bending down to put on shoes, diapers, picking kids up, running after kids...it's a built in excercise program! Enjoy!!

knoxmomof2 08:20 AM 07-22-2017
Welcome! I've been in this for 5 years, license exempt in my state since I keep less than 5, so I don't have a lot of advice in regards to licensing issues. My biggest advice is : follow this board. Read all the posts you can. Ask questions as you get them. These ladies know their stuff and are amazing!

If you don't have a backbone - you'll grow one or burn out! Lol... Payment and business hours (picking up on time) should be clear policies that are enforced from day 1 at the very least!

Good luck!
Tags:new business, new daycare, opening a child care, opening a daycare, opening daycare, opening new daycare, taxes, time space percentage
Reply Up