Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Mortgage and Loan for Windows
Kaylala 07:58 AM 09-12-2017
I have 2 questions.

1. When I claim my mortgage can I only claim how much I a supposed to pay or can I claim how much I actually pay. By this I mean we owe 700 a month but actually pay 1100. Which number do I use the t/s on.

2. We recently updated the windows in our home. We have a loan for the windows that we will repay monthly. Do I just use t/s on the monthly payment of the windows? And again do I claim what I owe or what I actually pay since we will pay extra on the loan.

Thank you so much!
TomCopeland 09:38 AM 09-12-2017
Originally Posted by Kaylala:
I have 2 questions.

1. When I claim my mortgage can I only claim how much I a supposed to pay or can I claim how much I actually pay. By this I mean we owe 700 a month but actually pay 1100. Which number do I use the t/s on.

2. We recently updated the windows in our home. We have a loan for the windows that we will repay monthly. Do I just use t/s on the monthly payment of the windows? And again do I claim what I owe or what I actually pay since we will pay extra on the loan.

Thank you so much!
1) You can deduct the time-space % of your mortgage interest, not your mortgage payment. Your mortgage payment also includes principal on your home. You deduct the principal by depreciating your home.
2) You can deduct the time-space % of the loan interest on your window loan. If you replaced less than half of the windows in your home, you can treat the cost as a repair and deduct the cost in one year, using your time-space? If you replaced more than half your windows you must depreciate the cost over 39 years as a home improvement. But, then you can use the 50% bonus depreciation rule and deduct half the depreciation in the first year.
Kaylala 11:58 AM 09-18-2017
So how do I figure out the depreciation of the cost of the windows over 39 years we are replacing them all? Also would you mind telling me how to depreciate my home? This is all very confusing to me. An
TomCopeland 11:08 AM 09-19-2017
Originally Posted by Kaylala:
So how do I figure out the depreciation of the cost of the windows over 39 years we are replacing them all? Also would you mind telling me how to depreciate my home? This is all very confusing to me. An
Here's an example: $5,000 to replace all your windows x your time-space% (let's say it's 40%) = $2,000. Claim half of this in 2017 using the 50% bonus depreciation rule = $1,000 on Form 4562. Depreciate the other half over 39 years: $1,000 divided by 39 years = $25 deduction each year.

Here's an article on how to depreciate your home: http://tomcopelandblog.com/how-to-depreciate-your-home
Tags:loans, mortgage depreciation, mortgage interest, time space percentage, tom copeland
Reply Up