Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tax Return Example
Vanka 12:01 AM 04-17-2019
Hi everyone,
I am having a bit hard time understanding what taxes in home daycare providers pay.
I have searched the internet without luck, so maybe anyone can give me an example of how the whole tax system works.
Let's say I am married, filling jointly in the state of CA.
For the sake of simplicity let's say, the revenue from my daycare is 100k and my husband works and gets a salary of 100k.
Let's say I have calculated all my business related expenses which amount to 20k, so I am left with 80k taxable income.
Questions 1
I pay 15,3% self employed tax on the 80k. Right?
Question 2
I pay 24% federal tax on the 100k revenue? Or is this 24% also on 80k???

Question 3
Any other taxes I have to pay?? Any specific state taxes?
If you can share your own examples that would be great.
Thank you!
Michael 01:13 AM 04-17-2019
Welcome to the forum.

Here is a list of deductions that are searchable in our TAG search: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56549

And some threads regarding Time/Space Percentages: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ace+percentage
TomCopeland 09:08 AM 04-17-2019
Originally Posted by Vanka:
Hi everyone,
I am having a bit hard time understanding what taxes in home daycare providers pay.
I have searched the internet without luck, so maybe anyone can give me an example of how the whole tax system works.
Let's say I am married, filling jointly in the state of CA.
For the sake of simplicity let's say, the revenue from my daycare is 100k and my husband works and gets a salary of 100k.
Let's say I have calculated all my business related expenses which amount to 20k, so I am left with 80k taxable income.
Questions 1
I pay 15,3% self employed tax on the 80k. Right?
Question 2
I pay 24% federal tax on the 100k revenue? Or is this 24% also on 80k???

Question 3
Any other taxes I have to pay?? Any specific state taxes?
If you can share your own examples that would be great.
Thank you!
#1 - Basically, yes. When you file Form 1040SE you actually pay a tax equivalent to 14.1% of the $80,000.
#2 - You will add your profit ($80,000) to your husband's gross income ($100,000) on Form 1040. You won't pay 24% federal income tax on this. You will pay tax on your family's adjusted gross income. So you would subtract from $180,000 your standard deduction ($24,000 for a married couple) or your itemized expenses from Schedule A if they are higher. You would also subtract your qualified business income deduction, which is a new deduction for 2018.
#3 - You will also owe state income taxes on your family's adjusted gross income. Each state has its own rules about how to calculate your family's adjusted gross income.
Tags:deductions - list, tax advice, tax returns, time space percentage
Reply Up