Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Toddlers Sleeping on Belly
ValerieM 03:59 AM 07-26-2019
Why do child care centers make toddlers sleep flat on their bellies when it seems so uncomfortable? My Mom never made me sleep on my belly as a toddler. I always slept on my sides or my back. I am very uncomfortable trying to sleep on my belly. It seems that maybe children are trying to find their own comfortable position to sleep, and adults still try to tell them to get all the way over on their belly. If we want a good sound sleep, then we have to have the most comfortable position in order to get healthy sleep. If I had a child in day care, I would firmly talk to the care givers and managers about many concerns and would expect them to listen and obey me for the sake of my child's well being....
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 07-26-2019
Originally Posted by ValerieM:
Why do child care centers make toddlers sleep flat on their bellies when it seems so uncomfortable? My Mom never made me sleep on my belly as a toddler. I always slept on my sides or my back. I am very uncomfortable trying to sleep on my belly. It seems that maybe children are trying to find their own comfortable position to sleep, and adults still try to tell them to get all the way over on their belly. If we want a good sound sleep, then we have to have the most comfortable position in order to get healthy sleep. If I had a child in day care, I would firmly talk to the care givers and managers about many concerns and would expect them to listen and obey me for the sake of my child's well being....
Are you talking about a specific child care center?
If you have no children in care, how do you know that a center does this?
What state are you in?

Also I have never heard of any rule in any state like that.

There are safe sleep rules for infants under 12 months but no rules/regulations for position when sleeping for toddlers.

I will refrain from commenting on the firmly talk, listen and obey statments...
Cat Herder 09:00 AM 07-26-2019
Originally Posted by ValerieM:
If I had a child in day care, I would firmly talk to the care givers and managers about many concerns and would expect them to listen and obey me for the sake of my child's well being....
As the owner, I'd tell you I don't obey anyone's commands. I am hoping this is maybe an ESOL issue with translation.

Also, I put the nap mats out and the kids run and dive onto their mats on their own each day. I don't force anyone to lay on their stomach, but it is a rare child who does not. It is the most common position for kids because they want us to rub their backs, twirl their hair and tuck them in. Not because we are vicious and cruel. After back rubs, there are many wonky sleep positions they wake up in.
Blackcat31 09:27 AM 07-26-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
After back rubs, there are many wonky sleep positions they wake up in.
Heck many of mine end up on someone else's mat spooning them.
Cat Herder 09:45 AM 07-26-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Heck many of mine end up on someone else's mat spooning them.
Same.

Sibling groups are fun

Of course, I am admitting to a violation as they are supposed to be 2 feet away from one another. I am not pulling 2 yo little sister off her 4 yo sisters mat when they are cuddling so cute. Nope.
Tags:sleep positions, sleeping on stomach
Reply Up