Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is Wrong With Parents
Great Beginnings 06:19 AM 11-13-2013
So last night about 8pm I get a text message from a parent that states:

Parent: Starting tomorrow from now on I will need you Tuesday and Wednesday eveings until 8:30.
Me: I'm sorry, did you mean to text me? I don't do evening care, my hours end at 5pm.
Parent: Yes, of course I did. Great now what am I going to do?

Ummm. Wth! Talk about guts! I don't do evening care for starters and second I am newly pregnant why would you think I'm going to work 7am until 8:30pm??? Not to mention I have these kids (2 girls ages 4,6) in the morning for an hour and she has an issue paying me $5 for the hour and half the time doesn't have money to pay me on Friday. Why would I work that late and it would be for a lot more than $5 lol!!

So this morning I get a text that wakes me up at 6:30am. Sorry we are going to be a bit early today. I didn't really process it but then 10 minutes later I hear banging on my windows and yelling hello!! Ummm my hours are 7am. I got up and took my shower lol and ignored them knocking. So I open the door 5 minutes early for them and the child who is 6 says to me in a very nasty voice. "What the heck took you so long, do you know how cold it is?" I said excuse you little girl but for starters you were early and I needed to take a shower before work and second you do not come into MY house and speak to me like that. The entire time the mother just sat there laughing like it was cute. No it's not cute or appropriate to have a CHILD speak to an adult that way

Why, why on earth do I seem to get all the wackos out of the word work??
TheGoodLife 06:23 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Great Beginnings:

Parent: Starting tomorrow from now on I will need you Tuesday and Wednesday eveings until 8:30.
Me: I'm sorry, did you mean to text me? I don't do evening care, my hours end at 5pm.

Ummm. Wth! Talk about guts! I don't do evening care for starters and second I am newly pregnant why would you think I'm going to work 7am until 8:30pm??? Not to mention I have these kids (2 girls ages 4,6) in the morning for an hour and she has an issue paying me $5 for the hour and half the time doesn't have money to pay me on Friday. Why would I work that late and it would be for a lot more than $5 lol!!

So this morning I get a text that wakes me up at 6:30am. Sorry we are going to be a bit early today. I didn't really process it but then 10 minutes later I hear banging on my windows and yelling hello!! Ummm my hours are 7am. I got up and took my shower lol and ignored them knocking. So I open the door 5 minutes early for them and the child who is 6 says to me in a very nasty voice. "What the heck took you so long, do you know how cold it is?" I said excuse you little girl but for starters you were early and I needed to take a shower before work and second you do not come into MY house and speak to me like that. The entire time the mother just sat there laughing like it was cute. No it's not cute or appropriate to have a CHILD speak to an adult that way

Ummmm, you know they are going to term on their own anyway... I would give them immediate term at pick up today! That blatant disrespect is over the top rude and I hope for your same you let them know loud and clear that they are no longer welcome at your home!!!
TheGoodLife 06:27 AM 11-13-2013
Also, they are dropping off at 6:40 and expect (from the text yesterday) you to work until 8:30?!?! I hope you reminded her that your closing time is 5:00 and of your late charge as well! If I were you, I'd be ready to charge that late fee AND hand her your term letter!!
Cradle2crayons 06:29 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
Ummmm, you know they are going to term on their own anyway... I would give them immediate term at pick up today! That blatant disrespect is over the top rude and I hope for your same you let them know loud and clear that they are no longer welcome at your home!!!
Yep, she'd have a lot more to worry about than afternoons are if that had happened here also!!

I have a wait list but I'm trying to get in one more infant and two two year olds for KY to play with (none of those on my list) so I can term this family of three.

Yes, during a slow time of the year lol.

I already have an interview today for a 6 week old boy for 10 am to 6pm. Awesome go me!! Lol.
littlemissmuffet 06:31 AM 11-13-2013

Instead of showering, I'd have spent that time printing off and filling out an immediate term form and handed it over when I opened the door. BUHBYE!
MotherNature 06:36 AM 11-13-2013
Also, they are dropping off at 6:40 and expect (from the text yesterday) you to work until 8:30?!?! I hope you reminded her that your closing time is 5:00 and of your late charge as well! If I were you, I'd be ready to charge that late fee AND hand her your term letter!!

Brooksie 06:38 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

Instead of showering, I'd have spent that time printing off and filling out an immediate term form and handed it over when I opened the door. BUHBYE!

crazydaycarelady 07:02 AM 11-13-2013
She thinks you work for her, rather than she is a client of yours.
Willow 07:05 AM 11-13-2013

SSWonders 07:15 AM 11-13-2013
I never cease to be amazed by what people think is ok. How anyone could think it would be ok to assume that you are going to do what they want, without even asking and just telling, and to allow their child to talk to you like that and laugh??? I DON'T THINK SO!

I am so LUCKY to have the kind, considerate families that I do.
daycare 07:16 AM 11-13-2013
How long has this family been with you? I had a new family try this stuff on me years ago. As soon as policy number 3 went broken, I realized that they had not read my PHB. At that time I didn't know any better to make sure that they fully understood all of the rules.

So I called DCM at work and talked to her about it. I was right, she had not read any of the PHB and was not even aware of the fact that she was breaking my policies. After an apology from her and a promise to read and follow the rules, the family was with me for 4 years. They were one of my favorite families.
Great Beginnings 07:25 AM 11-13-2013
They have been with me for 3 years so I don't know if she started doing drugs or is overwhelmed and not thinking lol!

I wrote up a strict termination warning letter regarding my times of operation. I also stated that any daycare related text after operating hours will not be addressed until the following morning at 7am.
daycare 07:29 AM 11-13-2013
They have been with me for 3 years so I don't know if she started doing drugs or is overwhelmed and not thinking lol!

I wrote up a strict termination warning letter regarding my times of operation. I also stated that any daycare related text after operating hours will not be addressed until the following morning at 7am.
Ok you can throw what I said out the window.

NOt sure if you really need to income, but if you do, I would do exactly as you are doing. Put your foot down. I would also tell the DCM that when she is there that you fully expect her to back your rules, which include being respect to all.

I had a DCK one time kick me right infront of their mom and mom said nothing. I was so angry I could not speak. The next day at pick up I told mom since you can't parent your child when you are here and allow him to hurt others, you will need to pick up outside from now on. She did not say a word. We did the outside program for the full summer and when we went back to the regular school season, I gave them another chance. Well I guess it worked, the child has not even breath wrong while mom is here picking up.
TwinKristi 08:24 AM 11-13-2013

Good for you! I would be seriously irritated if someone pulled that with me. I'm pretty relaxed but that's just plain rude. I cannot believe someone would do that after 3 years!
hgonzalez 09:34 AM 11-13-2013
Wow, they certainly have a lot of nerve. I would do as others suggested; clearly
state your hours and policies and that to continue to be enrolled in your daycare, they will need to follow those policies. Any violations are ground for immediate termination.

I found a way to stop the late night texts. I have clearly told my families that I will not accept text messages after 9 pm or before 6:30 am. I got one at 10:30 am last week; it woke me up and it was over something that could have waited until drop off. I decided not to respond until 5 am when I got up!!

I have not gotten another late night one since then!
daycarediva 09:35 AM 11-13-2013

Or at the very least, a warning letter and started advertising for their space.
Shell 10:09 AM 11-13-2013

DaycareMom 10:15 AM 11-13-2013

I have the same problem with a 4 yo DCG ... She talks in a nasty, demanding voice whenever DCM is here. DCM never says anything! Children need to be taught to be respectful and not like it's normal for a kid to talk like that.

Glad you are giving them a warning letter. That is just plain disrespectful.

Let us know how she reacts/responds. Good luck!
littlemissmuffet 10:37 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
I have the same problem with a 4 yo DCG ... She talks in a nasty, demanding voice whenever DCM is here. DCM never says anything! Children need to be taught to be respectful and not like it's normal for a kid to talk like that.

Does she talk to you like this at drop off? If so I'd say "You know what, Suzie, you're not allowed to talk to me like that in my house. Your mom is going to take you back outside and when you decide to show me some respect you can come back in." I'd open the door and usher mom and child back outside and close the door. If she's doing it at pick up put her on a 4 minute time out immediately and make mom wait it out.

Repeat as necessary. If mom doesn't want to deal with her child's disrespectful behavior on her own than MAKE her.
melilley 11:18 AM 11-13-2013
I can't believe that happened!
I love how you just got in the shower and didn't open the door, I had to chuckle!

Some parents think they are entitled to do, say, and act how they want because they pay us, and don't care if their children act the same way, it's sad. I would never even think of saying or doing what she did or let my kids talk to another person that way. What the?

Yes, let us know what she says tonight!
Angelsj 11:22 AM 11-13-2013

Absolutely they would be gone, probably this morning. Take your children and leave, you are no longer welcome here. Wow, what nerve!!
Great Beginnings 08:06 AM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:

Well I only have them for an hour in the morning and a roommate picks them up after an hour. So the following morning I gave mom the letter. They actually came on time, guess 20 minutes in the cold was enough to get it through their heads. Her look was dumbfounded, like she had no idea she had done anything wrong. She looked like she wanted to excuse her behavior but just kept her mouth shut and said ok thank you, laughed and said have a good day
Reply Up