Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Use Toddler Stairs?
Indianadaycare 11:23 PM 08-16-2015
for the changing table - something like this? http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...HAQ&kpid=29792 My back gets sore from lifting 3-4 little ones for diaper changes all day every day, and I'm looking for ideas to avoid lifting when possible. The walkers walk everywhere; I don't carry them. I do have two that are not walking, so I have to carry them (One weighs just over 18 lbs!!), but all four are in diapers. I've tried the mat on the floor, but don't like all that up and down, either. I'd really like to find a way for the littles who are able to, to climb onto the changing table for the diaper change, like the changing tables that have stairs built in. (Those are way too expensive for me) I'm wondering if anyone has used something like these stairs I showed above, and if so, was the cost worth it? Did they work well?

Any other ideas are appreciated, too!
LysesKids 04:05 AM 08-17-2015
I use my changing pad on the floor;http://www.amazon.com/PooPoose-Wiggl...ords=poo+poose I can keep it hidden under the couch due to space issues. My walkers have all been taught to lay down for Nana when they need clean nappies lol (one is 35 lbs at 18 months). I play on the floor with them anyway so it's not a big deal even with a bad leg - just part of the job even at this milestone age (Birthday is Labor day weekend - I'll be 55)

I wish I had space for a changing table with steps, but it won't happen in this house lol
childcaremom 04:22 AM 08-17-2015
I change on the floor, as well. I don't lift the dcks unless I have to.

I have seen the toddler stairs but don't have any experience with them. I've seen models where the stairs sort of tuck away, too. Those look nice (but pricey!). If your back is really tender they may be well worth the investment.
Play Care 04:36 AM 08-17-2015
Once my kiddos get to be about 1 or so, diaper mat moves to the floor and I change them there. I don't know that if I had dedicated space I would purchase the stairs. I gradually move the changing pad to the bathroom and have the kids "wait" on the potty while I ready the diapers. I guess my feeling is that if they can climb up to the table and lay their patiently, its time to move to the next step...
midaycare 05:53 AM 08-17-2015
I change everyone on the floor. Saves space and my back.
mim 06:50 AM 08-17-2015
I change on the floor too. I use a travel changing pad. Saves on tons of space.
Scribbles 07:26 AM 08-17-2015
I use a changing mat on the floor too. There are several kids in my care that I would not physically be able to assist up and down stairs and then onto the changing table without risking their safety or my own due to their larger size so I feel better and safer just using the floor.
Laurel 10:39 AM 08-17-2015
Originally Posted by Indianadaycare:
for the changing table - something like this? http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...HAQ&kpid=29792 My back gets sore from lifting 3-4 little ones for diaper changes all day every day, and I'm looking for ideas to avoid lifting when possible. The walkers walk everywhere; I don't carry them. I do have two that are not walking, so I have to carry them (One weighs just over 18 lbs!!), but all four are in diapers. I've tried the mat on the floor, but don't like all that up and down, either. I'd really like to find a way for the littles who are able to, to climb onto the changing table for the diaper change, like the changing tables that have stairs built in. (Those are way too expensive for me) I'm wondering if anyone has used something like these stairs I showed above, and if so, was the cost worth it? Did they work well?

Any other ideas are appreciated, too!
I had that problem so started changing on a mat on the floor also. It was a little hard to get up for me as I was in my 60's but I could do it.

I have never used steps. My first thought is that they might play on the steps when it wasn't diaper time so that would be a negative.

One thing I was considering was buying a used coffee table at a garage sale and putting mat on top of that. That would be low enough for them to climb up on but you'd probably have to kneel to change them. Would that be easier than getting all the way down on the floor for you? I never actually did it because I was close to retiring and could get up off the floor. (Just took longer )

Laurel
racemom 12:31 PM 08-17-2015
We use them! Being a center we are not allowed to change anywhere but a changing table. I love ours! It definitely saves my back from picking up heavier kids all day. One question I do have on the one you picked is do the steps go high enough? We use one like that for the sink for handwashing, but the one for the changing table has steps which go higher so the can climb onto the table without being lifted.
Indianadaycare 12:50 PM 08-17-2015
Originally Posted by racemom:
We use them! Being a center we are not allowed to change anywhere but a changing table. I love ours! It definitely saves my back from picking up heavier kids all day. One question I do have on the one you picked is do the steps go high enough? We use one like that for the sink for handwashing, but the one for the changing table has steps which go higher so the can climb onto the table without being lifted.
I looked for one with more steps, specifically for the reason you gave, and couldn't find them ~ at least the steps that were not part of a changing table. Do you know where I could find them? Where did your center buy them?

And thanks everyone, for your responses. Sounds like if I can't find stairs high enough, I'll have to transition to a mat on the floor, which would def free up some space, which would be a good thing!
Indianadaycare 12:59 PM 08-17-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I had that problem so started changing on a mat on the floor also. It was a little hard to get up for me as I was in my 60's but I could do it.

I have never used steps. My first thought is that they might play on the steps when it wasn't diaper time so that would be a negative.

One thing I was considering was buying a used coffee table at a garage sale and putting mat on top of that. That would be low enough for them to climb up on but you'd probably have to kneel to change them. Would that be easier than getting all the way down on the floor for you? I never actually did it because I was close to retiring and could get up off the floor. (Just took longer )

Laurel
Thanks Laurel! Using a coffee table or similar height really wouldn't help in my situation... it would still put a strain on my sore back. It's a good idea, though, if it wasn't for that part.
kitykids3 01:04 PM 08-17-2015
I have that exact one for the changing table. I originally used my QRIS grant to get it for the sink, but it's too big for the small space by my sink so I use it now for the changing table. I have ddd in my lower back and both knees need surgery so the floor is too hard (still got to bend the lower back when changing on the floor). The ones that can walk, get to the top stair and then I don't have to bend as much to lift them on to the changing table. They wouldn't be able to climb on it anyways because we have to have the sides of the table be 6 inches high. It helps having it, but I also didn't have to spend any personal money on it.

ETA: I do wish it had one more stair higher, but then I guess it would take up more floor space. My one dcg is very heavy so this helps take some pressure off the back when putting her up there.
racemom 03:47 PM 08-17-2015
Originally Posted by Indianadaycare:
I looked for one with more steps, specifically for the reason you gave, and couldn't find them ~ at least the steps that were not part of a changing table. Do you know where I could find them? Where did your center buy them?

And thanks everyone, for your responses. Sounds like if I can't find stairs high enough, I'll have to transition to a mat on the floor, which would def free up some space, which would be a good thing!
We got ours from Kaplan. Here is the one we have https://www.kaplanco.com/product/70676/changing-table-stairs?c=1%7CFC1041. It works great because they can climb right up by themselves.
spedmommy4 06:05 PM 08-17-2015
I have some bigger two year olds and have been thinking about getting this one that IKEA just came out with.
http://onlinecatalog.ikea-usa.com/US/en/IKEA_Catalog/

- the step stool the child featured on the front page of the catalog is standing on.
Reply Up