Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Four Day Weeks
theycallmetaytor 03:25 PM 11-01-2016
I started to feel really burnt out and decided to close so I could take the opportunity to revamp and redo things in a way that'll make me happy and works better with my current situation. Ive come to the conclusion that a 4 day week would be best. Has anyone else done this? How has it worked out and what other changes have you made to make it work a little better for everyone? I'll be starting with a fresh group of families so this will be in effect from the start.
jenboo 03:34 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by theycallmetaytor:
I started to feel really burnt out and decided to close so I could take the opportunity to revamp and redo things in a way that'll make me happy and works better with my current situation. Ive come to the conclusion that a 4 day week would be best. Has anyone else done this? How has it worked out and what other changes have you made to make it work a little better for everyone? I'll be starting with a fresh group of families so this will be in effect from the start.
I've never done it, but i have had a few 4 day a week families. I entropy does it but she runs a preschool only program.
JackandJill 04:11 PM 11-01-2016
After one year of starting my daycare, I closed on Fridays. I also now only take part time families. No one is here more than 3 days each week. This way no one is here long enough in the week to make me not enjoy their company Yes it takes a while to find families who need a limited schedule, but it is well worth it.

All my families have very flexible work schedules. Their primary focus is on making sure their children are in care as little as possible and are home with at least one parent the majority of the week (which is how I think it should be). This also makes it easy for me to take time off and avoid burn out.

I love knowing that I have 3 days off in a row with my own kids. Fridays I can get any appointments out of the way, all my errands done and take my kids on a few play dates, without interrupting family time on the weekends.
Unregistered 05:29 PM 11-01-2016
Two years ago I switched to a four day week, M-Thurs, for the same reasons you have. This year I also switched to only offering part time care, 2 days, a week. I love it because I don't feel as burnt out. I have had a couple of my family ask if I am going to offer full time again, M-Thurs., because they see how much their child is gaining by being in my program, however right now I love my schedule, and they are still with me.
284878 07:45 AM 11-02-2016
I did to, after a year. This was always my goal since I started and read all the comments that other dc will term a pt for a ft. (which they have the right to do) The only reason why I did not do this right away was I could not find a pt family.
I do allow current families to do drop in on Fridays, the one family has done this five times this year. It makes for a light day and extra money (at drop in rate). (Dcd works out of state a week at a time, when he is home he works only 4 days.)
theycallmetaytor 08:28 AM 11-02-2016
Thanks all! I'll start putting feelers out in my area. My biggest worry is not being able to find enough families.
Reply Up