Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Gifts From Parents
lovemykidstoo 09:18 AM 12-22-2016
Happy Thursday! We're almost to Christmas woohoo! So has anyone received any gifts from your parents? Always nice to be appreciated and I most definitely do not expect anything at all. My one family gave a bottle of wine, lavender essential oil and 2 bath soaks, another gave me an ornament with their childs name on it and the other game me a $15 gift card.

The ornament is cute, but not sure what to do with it since I don't even have the ornaments that my kids (now 18 and 16) made when they were little. lol
JackandJill 09:24 AM 12-22-2016
All my parents have given me gifts this am - mostly chocolate and Dunkin Donuts gift cards

I have wine for all my parents and goodie bags for all my kiddos! Love this time of year!
Pepperth 09:29 AM 12-22-2016
I've been very spoiled this year. Gift cards, chocolates, coffees, a beautiful hand knit hat. They make me feel rather guilty all the years I gave my daycare provider really small presents.
Heart12 09:31 AM 12-22-2016
Last day before Christmas break begins, woo hoo!!!!

I received a bottle of local wine, a gift card, & a framed poem & some Christmas treats! The families also bought my own child some goodies which was super sweet!
midaycare 09:48 AM 12-22-2016
I've had 2 families give me something so far, but I'm also open tomorrow.

Family #1 gave me a pair of soft nice socks - I have a thing for funky socks, a bottle of wine, nice chapstick and hand lotion, and a few chocolates (it's kind of like they live in my brain).

Family #2 gave me a $100 gift card to a restaurant.
Rockgirl 09:53 AM 12-22-2016
Ornament, bottle of homemade Baileys Irish Cream--yum! And this morning, a card with a $100 bill.
daycarediva 09:53 AM 12-22-2016
One gave me two weeks pay ($400!)

Three gave me $100 gift cards

One is having toys delivered here today. She put the tracking info and gift receipt in my card. No clue what it is though, she whited it out.

One gave me a $50 dinner gift certificate, $50 movie gift certificate, mani/pedi gift certificate AND a $50 gift certificate to a boutique clothing store downtown.

My SA dcp's got together and did a photo book with a $100 gift card.

My other dcp bought me 6 bottles of wine with customized labels, about me/their child.

Favorite gift though?

A dck that left for K in June came walking in first thing this morning. She wanted to give ME the gift she made at school. They brought me my favorite coffee, too.

OH MY GOSH. Ok, they really DO appreciate me. My mascara's been running all morning. And to top off the day, most are picking up early, AND I have FOUR paid days off AND I get to spend them with my family.

Play Care 09:54 AM 12-22-2016
Family 1 (3 boys) $150 Visa GC

Family 2 (ft infant girl) $50 to local organic grocery store

Family 3 (pt infant girl) 1 "week" pay

Thankfully no ornaments. I used to have a small DC tree I kept in the foyer just for DC ornaments. But it broke and I haven't replaced it. Our main tree is for family.
Play Care 09:55 AM 12-22-2016
Nice! Enjoy your holiday!
daycarediva 10:06 AM 12-22-2016
I have so many dc ornaments from kids over the years. I have a tabletop tree that I put them on (it was like $3 on clearance one year). I won't put dc things on my family tree.
lovemykidstoo 10:06 AM 12-22-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Family 1 (3 boys) $150 Visa GC

Family 2 (ft infant girl) $50 to local organic grocery store

Family 3 (pt infant girl) 1 "week" pay

Thankfully no ornaments. I used to have a small DC tree I kept in the foyer just for DC ornaments. But it broke and I haven't replaced it. Our main tree is for family.
Oh my gosh I want your parents!!! How nice! I was kinda surprised by the one family with the ornament with their childs name on it. I am going to sound like a total brat lol, but it would have been nicer if it accompanied a gift card lol. Also the child that gives me hell every single day, 50 hours a week, she walked in and handed me a $15 gift card. Not even in a bag or a card, just handed it to me. That rubbed me the wrong way. It was like she grabbed it from the gas station on the over. Made me feel really unappreciated.
Play Care 10:21 AM 12-22-2016
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Oh my gosh I want your parents!!! How nice! I was kinda surprised by the one family with the ornament with their childs name on it. I am going to sound like a total brat lol, but it would have been nicer if it accompanied a gift card lol. Also the child that gives me hell every single day, 50 hours a week, she walked in and handed me a $15 gift card. Not even in a bag or a card, just handed it to me. That rubbed me the wrong way. It was like she grabbed it from the gas station on the over. Made me feel really unappreciated.
This was a good year. . But 2 of my families are teachers and one I've had since the oldest was an infant (he's 7)
Ask me about the used socks, or the ornament with their kids pictures...
BumbleBee 10:23 AM 12-22-2016
$15 Little Ceasars GC, Norwex body pack, GC for a 1 hr massage, Pack of AA batteries, Pack of AAA batteries, pictures the kids made for me, $50 Amazon GC, cookies, puzzle for the dc, Jimmie John's sub, calendar, cards, mug, brownie mix, essential oils, $400 cash.
Blackcat31 10:23 AM 12-22-2016
I've gotten:
I've got a couple I haven't opened.....yet...
Play Care 10:23 AM 12-22-2016
Best gift!
Attached: image.jpeg (133.5 KB) 
lovemykidstoo 10:29 AM 12-22-2016
Best gift!
I LOVE that!!!
momofboys 11:07 AM 12-22-2016
$500 bonus. I work as a pt nanny so just have one family. I earned that $500
finsup 11:11 AM 12-22-2016
One brought me an iced coffee on Tuesday (their kiddos last day before they went on vacation). Totally good with that lol. Seriously, little things make me happy.

Second family gave me 100$, year membership to the children's museum for my kids, 25$ Dunkin card and fudge. I'm still kind of shocked. It was very generous of them!
jenboo 11:14 AM 12-22-2016
My last group showered me in gifts which wasn't necessary but nice.

I don't think ill get anything from this group.
daycare 11:20 AM 12-22-2016
I have not open most, but one family that is no longer with me sent me a video that almost made me cry. they are giving me their vacation rental in Tahoe for 5 days to use at no expense, fully catered, including ski lift tickets for my whole family.

My cats got a gift from one of my families that is a vet. he gave them both flea drops for one year and two free health check ups! OMG so sweet.

I will open the rest on christmas.
Mad_Pistachio 11:23 AM 12-22-2016
we gave ours on Tuesday because we skipped Monday (doctor's visit) and then were planning to skip Wednesday (passport application), no one knew if we'd go on Thursday, and Friday the daycare is closed. a little early, but better than late.
I wish I could give wine, but not sure if it's appropriate in our case
Jupadia 11:37 AM 12-22-2016
I'm open tomorrow and the kids will be having a party then. But one family (the granny who picks up) dropped off a gift for each of the kids (4 kids including mine), a gift card 50 for walmart for me and a birthday present for my youngest who's 1 on the 30th. There a great family who have brought gifts for all the kids the last few years had the older brother before now have the littler one in care.
Baby Beluga 11:58 AM 12-22-2016
I am open tomorrow (then closed all next week!! ). One family gave me two weeks pay in the form of a gift card and two bottles of my favorite lotion.

Question: I know we are supposed to claim gifts like money and gift cards on our taxes. When doing so do we include it in the total amount of tuition the parents paid or do we claim it elsewhere?
Controlled Chaos 12:19 PM 12-22-2016
I have been so spoiled this year!!! I thought about starting a post like this a few days ago, but didn't because I was worried it would just sound braggy - because seriously - so spoiled!

$100 cash (This parent is hilarious- she said she ran out of time but she was going to make an ornament out of broken crayons glued together and pretend it was my present just to see my face )
Spa gift card - enough for a massage!!!
GC to a brew pub I love - enough for DH and I to have a fun date!
Tickets to the cinema pub!
I really nice card
A really nice coffee thermos and coffee

I feel super appreciated. I expressed to a daycare dad at pick up that I was feeling overwhelmed by their generosity he just shook his head and looked really serious and said "We just don't know how you do it..." he sounded generally perplexed. It was sort of adorable lol
Unregistered 12:37 PM 12-22-2016
Family 1- $50 gift card to Target & 2 hand knit hats. She also randomly gives me gifts whenever she visits other states, which is pretty often.

Family 2- $10 gift card to Caribou & $30 nail salon gift card.

Family 3- $10 Starbucks

Family 4- $ 100 bill. I was really shocked to see that!

I worked at a center for 6 years before doing in home. The parents there were so unappreciative and had some of the worst behaved kids.
These families are so generous!
Baby Beluga 12:57 PM 12-22-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I have been so spoiled this year!!! I thought about starting a post like this a few days ago, but didn't because I was worried it would just sound braggy - because seriously - so spoiled!

$100 cash (This parent is hilarious- she said she ran out of time but she was going to make an ornament out of broken crayons glued together and pretend it was my present just to see my face )
Spa gift card - enough for a massage!!!
GC to a brew pub I love - enough for DH and I to have a fun date!
Tickets to the cinema pub!
I really nice card
A really nice coffee thermos and coffee

I feel super appreciated. I expressed to a daycare dad at pick up that I was feeling overwhelmed by their generosity he just shook his head and looked really serious and said "We just don't know how you do it..." he sounded generally perplexed. It was sort of adorable lol
Awww
Blackcat31 02:26 PM 12-22-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

Question: I know we are supposed to claim gifts like money and gift cards on our taxes. When doing so do we include it in the total amount of tuition the parents paid or do we claim it elsewhere?
http://tomcopelandblog.com/the-busin...eceiving-gifts
284878 02:38 PM 12-22-2016
Woo hoo - I got 2 handwritten Thank you cards from 2 of my 3 families, plus some other stuff from them. But I love the cards. Woo hoo
Josiegirl 02:40 PM 12-22-2016
I have very wonderful dcparents and received some generous gifts. Every one of them came with a card that expressed their appreciation in many heartfelt ways. Those were the best part because while the gifts are so appreciated and will definitely be used/spent, those cards will always be kept and reread on tough days, when I need a boost to my mood.
Madeline 03:00 PM 12-22-2016
We gave our provider a heated throw blanket (really for her hubs who complains that she steals all the space heaters for the playroom), a donation of a flock of chickens through heifer international (she has chickens and my daughter LOVES them), and $50 for her trip to visit her son.

She fussed at me as we bought her an instant pot as "an early Xmas gift" this summer.

I was surprised that she said she was most touched by the chickens! ❤️❤️
Miss A 03:50 PM 12-22-2016
DC family 1 (ft toddler, ft infant) is out of. Maternity leave, to return in January. Mom is very young, and doesn't grasp the idea of giving gifts to teachers. But, I really don't expect a gift, or need one from them to know I am appreciated.

DC family 2 (ft infant) mom got stuck at work and had to call dad to pick up. I don't expect a gift from this family though, either.

DC family 3 (ft infant) forgot the gift on the table this AM as she rushed out the door late to work. I am sure this gift will be fantastic, as they are my best DC family, and have given me random gift cards throughout the year just to say thank you.

DC Grandpa picked up infant tonight though, and almost made me cry. He told me how much he appreciates all I do for his grandbaby, told me he can see how much I love and care for her, and thanked me for sharing photos and videos of her on our FB page. He didn't have to say any of that, and the fact that he did melted my heart.
Leigh 04:31 PM 12-22-2016
Originally Posted by Miss A:
DC family 1 (ft toddler, ft infant) is out of. Maternity leave, to return in January. Mom is very young, and doesn't grasp the idea of giving gifts to teachers. But, I really don't expect a gift, or need one from them to know I am appreciated.

DC family 2 (ft infant) mom got stuck at work and had to call dad to pick up. I don't expect a gift from this family though, either.

DC family 3 (ft infant) forgot the gift on the table this AM as she rushed out the door late to work. I am sure this gift will be fantastic, as they are my best DC family, and have given me random gift cards throughout the year just to say thank you.

DC Grandpa picked up infant tonight though, and almost made me cry. He told me how much he appreciates all I do for his grandbaby, told me he can see how much I love and care for her, and thanked me for sharing photos and videos of her on our FB page. He didn't have to say any of that, and the fact that he did melted my heart.
I had a grandma pick up on Monday and tell me how much her family appreciates the care that her granddaughter gets here-THAT was probably one of the best gifts ever.

One a more greedy note: I had 2 moms (they're friends) give me a $100 gift certificate for LuLaRoe-I wear Lula every day at daycare (it's just SO comfy!), and they noticed. I really mean it when I say that having them make the effort to notice what I like and get me something that they KNEW would make me happy means more than the gift itself. This can be such a thankless job, and knowing that they care about me means the world (and the card they gave me made me cry). They brought a gift for my son, too, which meant a lot, too. Those two moms make all the hard part of my job worth it-they're both golden, they're kind and considerate, and their kids are the best! Clients like that make this job worth all the hard work and hassles!
sharlan 05:29 PM 12-22-2016
Dcf#1 - mom, nothing, never has in 5 years, not even a thank you. Dad, usually gets me something, tomorrow is his day to pick up. Grandma, $50 gift card and a car emergency kit.

Dcf#2 - not a thing.

Dcf#3 - not a thing.
sharlan 05:58 PM 12-22-2016
Dcf#1 - mom just picked up. As I was closing the door, she turned around and said, "Oh, she won't be here tomorrow. I don't have to work." No Merry Christmas or anything.
MyAngels 08:26 PM 12-22-2016
All gift cards this year in varying amounts. The one that really surprised and touched me was the GC in the amount of a week's pay - $300 - from the family that can least afford it, along with a lovely note.
DaveA 04:01 AM 12-23-2016
Best gift!

One center I was at a DCD gave me a bottle of Jack Daniels. The director FREAKED OUT when I showed her when she came in.

1 family gave me a plate of homemade cookies/ candy and a Dairy Queen gift card. So far that's been it.
childcaremom 04:59 AM 12-23-2016
This is the first year in 15 years that i've gotten gifts. This is the best group of kids and families I have had since my original families when I first opened.

One family got me a GC to a craft store.

The other 3 (even my termed family) pooled together and got me a gc to a yoga store.

They know me.

The best part of the gifts was the handwritten notes, thanking me for the care I give their children. I am more appreciative of that then the actual gifts.
racemom 05:56 AM 12-23-2016
I work in a small center, and am surprised at how many families by gifts for all the employees! One family gave each of us gift cards to a local restaurant, several families gave us bath and body works soaps, and lotions. One gave us all christmas towels, another an ornament. They give their child's teacher a more expensive present, but it is nice they give us all something.

My room only two families gave me gifts, one gave me a bottle of wine, and the other gave me a box of candy and a wooden pencil holder with a snowman on it. But I do agree, the handwritten thank you sentiments mean the most!
Baby Beluga 06:01 AM 12-23-2016
Originally Posted by Miss A:

Those are some of my favorite moments. One family of mine has grandparents who visit often. When in town the grandparents drop off and pick up frequently. They always thank me. Last time the grandfather hugged me, thanked me for all I do for their grandchildren and wished me a Happy Thanksgiving. It was so simple but so nice. I *might* have gotten a little emotional when they left
midaycare 06:34 AM 12-23-2016
Reading this made me go buy an online Amazon gift card for my son's teacher. A nice big one. I usually do something small and thoughtful (if a teacher likes hats, we buy a hat), but not this year...
Unregistered 06:41 AM 12-23-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Dcf#1 - mom, nothing, never has in 5 years, not even a thank you. Dad, usually gets me something, tomorrow is his day to pick up. Grandma, $50 gift card and a car emergency kit.

Dcf#2 - not a thing.

Dcf#3 - not a thing.
nothing here. Not a card or even a 'merry christmas' from 4 families
Ariana 07:22 AM 12-23-2016
Dcf#1 - mom just picked up. As I was closing the door, she turned around and said, "Oh, she won't be here tomorrow. I don't have to work." No Merry Christmas or anything.
some people are so pathetic and this says so much about her greedy rotten soul

I had a DCF for 3.5 yrs and I basically got the same gifts as the bus driver
midaycare 07:32 AM 12-23-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
nothing here. Not a card or even a 'merry christmas' from 4 families
I don't care if I get gifts, but their darn well better be a "Merry Christmas" or Happy Holidays" followed by a hug or thank you.

I understand I provide a service, but I provide the most important service available. I say 'Happy Holidays' to everyone this time of year, cable service repair person included.
sharlan 07:36 AM 12-23-2016
That dcm is my least favorite in 31 years of daycare. It's very obvious that we don't care for each other.
Blackcat31 08:26 AM 12-23-2016
That dcm is my least favorite in 31 years of daycare. It's very obvious that we don't care for each other.
Isn't that funny/weird? I have a DCF right now that have been my longest attending family. I currently care for the 2 youngest out of 4 kids... and they've been a full time familiy continuously for 9.5 yrs now.

I have never ever received a gift, a card or any remote display of appreciation from this family. Not even timely payments (as they've never paid a dime for their care out of their own pocket).

The mom is not one of my favorite parents... I honestly dont even like her much which says alot because I truly do like almost everyone I meet/know.

I like DCD and I love the kids but Ive never ever received a single gesture of appreciation, thankfulness or any type of friendly wishes for ANY holiday or birthday from them.

Different strokes for different folks I guess...
lovemykidstoo 08:33 AM 12-23-2016
A couple of years ago one of my daycare families gave me $100 in a card for Christmas. I thought that was great. I had their 2 girls. Then I had dinner with my friend that works for him. He owns a company in town. She got a $1,000 bonus for Christmas. I was put off by that. I mean, I cared 40 hours a week for their 2 kids. Man lol
midaycare 08:40 AM 12-23-2016
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
A couple of years ago one of my daycare families gave me $100 in a card for Christmas. I thought that was great. I had their 2 girls. Then I had dinner with my friend that works for him. He owns a company in town. She got a $1,000 bonus for Christmas. I was put off by that. I mean, I cared 40 hours a week for their 2 kids. Man lol
That $1000 was a write off. Yours wasn't. I'm guessing that's the difference...
lovemykidstoo 08:48 AM 12-23-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
That $1000 was a write off. Yours wasn't. I'm guessing that's the difference...
I figured, but still. Even $200 would have been awesome lol
Josiegirl 04:01 AM 12-24-2016
I know everyone is different but I find it so sad to not even get a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays out of a person.
Are they that neglectful of others around them; that focused on only their little world??
lovemykidstoo 05:52 AM 12-24-2016
That is terrible. Shame on them. I would be torked about that too. I hope you don't do any special favors for these people the rest of the year. It cost nothing to say Merry Christmas.
Tags:gifts from parents, holidays - over it
Reply Up