Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Make Your Own Light Table?
Josiegirl 02:55 AM 11-15-2017
Has anyone made their own light table before? If so, how and did it work well? I remember trying to make something like that with a clear tote and lights inside but it was just an okay thing, didn't work all that great. But I go to price them and I cannot find anything under $250.
I just received a gift card at Lakeshore for $200 but can't justify spending it all on one item, plus more of my own $$ when there are other things I need too.
Any input?? Thanks!
DaveA 03:08 AM 11-15-2017
Never made one, but it should be a simple build. I would grab a sturdy shadow box, replace the glass with plexiglass, and put a short length of LED Christmas lights inside. You'd have to notch a groove to run the light plug in out, but otherwise no really construction.

Hope that helps.
Cat Herder 04:27 AM 11-15-2017
LED, thin, desktop version $24. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EBA8ZX8...a-319713367323
nanglgrl 06:16 AM 11-15-2017
Do you have an ikea nearby?
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 11-15-2017
I just got a grant and had listed this as one of the items I want:
https://www.amazon.com/Constructive-...VY0VNDG8SVAEKD

It's listed for $150.95

nanglgrl 06:57 AM 11-15-2017
I think this is the under cabinet light I saw at IKEA and thought it would make a good light table if you attached it to one of the trofast storage tables. I already had a light table so I didn't look at it too close but the one I saw was a good size and sturdy.
Attached: IMG_6429.PNG (113.2 KB) 
MyAngels 09:20 AM 11-15-2017
I saw an idea once where they used a glass top end table from a thrift store, replaced the glass with frosted plexiglass (Menards sells it here) and then stapled some white lights underneath as the light source.
AmyKidsCo 12:36 PM 11-15-2017
I've seen homemade ones that were basically a wooden box with a bottom, florescent lights or a LED light rope inside, and white plexiglass screwed on top. One I saw had a light switch on the side to turn it on and off, another had a hole for the cord to come out and the on/off switch was on the cord.
flying_babyb 05:58 PM 11-15-2017
done this! bought a shadow box, inserted a cheap under cabinate light ($8 at walmart) and used a drill to make a hole. worked well till the kids broke the cover. Replaced it with part of a Florescent light cover. was pretty cool
Josiegirl 02:14 AM 11-16-2017
Thank you so much for the great ideas!!! I do have a Walmart and Lowes to shop at but no Ikea. Will have to see what I can find. I never thought of using a shadow box! And I love the idea of recreating something out of a glass top table(to think of all the ones I've passed up along the way )
BC, I did see some on Amazon like that but am thinking that'd be more for 1 person at a time? I can see the arguments now. I will figure it out because I can't see spending 250 or more, plus stuff to use with it. Lakeshore, to me, is so expensive. I shouldn't 'look a gift horse in the mouth' but I do wish the state would either give cash or a different kind of gift card as an incentive, ya know>
Josiegirl 09:48 AM 12-13-2017
Update: got a bit lazy and Lakeshore offered a 30% off one item so I bought a light table that can go on the floor or a table and it changes colors via remote. It's pretty cool! I bought that and a set of first light toys, plus a CD, cost me just 25 bucks of my own money. The kids love it but all the 16 mo wants to do is climb on it. I do need to buy some more toys to go with it though. It's really pretty cool and gives me some rest and play time because I sit right beside them on the floor.
CityGarden 02:28 PM 12-13-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Update: got a bit lazy and Lakeshore offered a 30% off one item so I bought a light table that can go on the floor or a table and it changes colors via remote. It's pretty cool! I bought that and a set of first light toys, plus a CD, cost me just 25 bucks of my own money. The kids love it but all the 16 mo wants to do is climb on it. I do need to buy some more toys to go with it though. It's really pretty cool and gives me some rest and play time because I sit right beside them on the floor.
That is great!!! Will you share the link of the one you got.
Josiegirl 03:20 PM 12-13-2017
https://www.lakeshorelearning.com/pr...=1513207131445

Hope this worked.
Tags:arts and crafts, light tables, wood furniture
Reply Up