Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Hard Is Your Job?
christinaskids 05:02 AM 01-26-2012
In relation to other jobs you have had, how hard or stressful would you say being a daycare provider is? For me, it is pretty stressful working so many hours and constantly dealing with difficult kids but it works for me and i make more than if i worked outside the home. I often have 10-12 kids (the max) and its hard for me to keep them constantly entertained and from tattling on each other. Its not so bad in the summer, this job is way fun in the summer with all the outings! What about for you?
Meyou 05:08 AM 01-26-2012
I have a really good group right now so I would say easier. I've had high pressure jobs in the past with alot of traveling involved. Being home with my kids and dh is a huge draw for me even after days and days of rain when the kids are climbing the walls. That makes it seem easier even when it's hard.
Breezy 05:10 AM 01-26-2012
I never have had more than 4 kids (usually infants and toddlers) so I no where nearly have the stress level that you do. I find this job difficult somedays (or even some hours if you were to ask me at a different time of the day). It was more difficult when I was afraid to stand up for myself. It is more difficult on the days that the infant is here compared to the days its just the toddlers. So, it varies. But at the end of the day: it is a job that lets me be home with my son all day and not miss his milestones.
morgan24 05:25 AM 01-26-2012
Right now not very hard. I have 10 kids enrolled, but never have more than 5 here at a time. I worked retail for 15 years before I started my daycare and I would never want to go back to that. People were rude then I can't imagine what they are like now.
melskids 05:41 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by morgan24:
Right now not very hard. I have 10 kids enrolled, but never have more than 5 here at a time. I worked retail for 15 years before I started my daycare and I would never want to go back to that. People were rude then I can't imagine what they are like now.
Me too! I did the whole retail thing too.

Its one thing to only have to deal with obnoxious adults at drop off and pick up....its another thing to deal with them for 8 or 9 hours. You would be surprised at how rude they can be. I would NEVER work retail AGAIN.
Ariana 05:58 AM 01-26-2012
I worked retail and people weren't very rude to me at all, maybe only 2% of customers so I guess I was lucky. I also worked at daycare centres so my job now is not that much different. But I'll still comment!

I do find there are pros and cons to both. At home everything is my responsibility, cooking, cleaning, finding resources, accidents, chatting with parents about policies etc. At a centre a lot of that was handled by other people so it was easier to focus more on the kids. There is also a 'team' to help and co-workers which is a big plus. At home I don't get nearly as sick (haven't had more than a mild cold since I started) and a centre I was sick constantly and missing work because of it. At home I get to make my own rules and do my own thing in regards to programming. I also don't have to commute!! At a centre I had 8 kids in my group which is HARD. So many different personalities and behaviors but it was a lot less hands on. I was only 1 on 1 with kids at circle and lunch. At home gives me much more hands on with kids and I can really get to know them.

I would say it's easier to be home.
countrymom 06:10 AM 01-26-2012
its not too bad now, I find that my job never ends. When I use to work, I can leave my job and go home, but now I feel like I never leave my job.
Daycaremomof2 06:11 AM 01-26-2012
I was an AVP for a very large worldwide bank before I chose to stay home to care for my own children (actually- didnt have much of a choice, my daughter was the one that wouldn't cut it in daycare). Anyway, I can tell you that it is MUCH MUCH MUCH EASIER to take your children to the sitters everyday, go to work, and then pickthem up at the end of the day. MUCH easier.

In the corporate world, if you work hard, you get recognition, praise, awards, raises, promotions, etc. You get a lunch break (which I would use to work out), and lots of mini-breaks throughout the day. You get a quiet car ride (if you choose), to be alone in your car on the way to work, and have time to yourself to just think. You get to dress up and wear cute clothes that won't be messed up chewed up goldfish and milk. So much easier! And even though I worked 45-50 hours a week, it wasn't so bad, because I could directly see my income increasing. I had the power to make $100 an hour if I wanted to...

I now make $3.33 per hour per child. I wake up earlier. My days are longer. I do not get a lunch break, I do not get to wear cute clothes or socialize. I do not get promotions, or raises (unless I give them to myself). I do not get to exercise in the middle of the day. I do not get alone time. I do not even know what quiet time is...

BUT.... I do get to see my child take her first steps and say her first word. I do get to read to her all day, every day (thats her favorite right now). I have become a pretty good cook! I have become "domesticated." AAAK! I am teaching my 3 year old to read and write. I have taught my 1 year old to sign. And I get to teach a lot of other children the same thing! There are lots of rewards to this job, and the best is that I can stay home with my kids, which are the most precious treasures of all.

So... is childcare easier? HECK NO! But is it a lot more meaningful? Yep! We get to shape the future, one child at a time.
cheerfuldom 06:15 AM 01-26-2012
the hardest thing for me is the monotony and isolation. i love to learn new things, challenge myself with personal goals and have that daily interaction and change and that is all polar opposite of daycare.
Daycaremomof2 06:15 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I never have had more than 4 kids (usually infants and toddlers) so I no where nearly have the stress level that you do. I find this job difficult somedays (or even some hours if you were to ask me at a different time of the day). It was more difficult when I was afraid to stand up for myself. It is more difficult on the days that the infant is here compared to the days its just the toddlers. So, it varies. But at the end of the day: it is a job that lets me be home with my son all day and not miss his milestones.
That is exactly it- you get to be with your son

When he starts kindergarten, you can always get back out in the job market if you want to (that's my plan anyway), and know that you sacraficed to provide him with the best foundation possible. You are doing what you have to do now for your family, but it won't be forever (unless thats what you want-I'm done at kindergarten)
Meeko 06:41 AM 01-26-2012
I once took time off from child care and managed a store in the mall that sold blown glass. One of our specialities was cake toppers for wedding cakes and glass LDS temples. I thought it would be so much fun to help brides pick out the perfect piece or help them design something and have our glass artist make it.

NO!!!!

Bride-zilla every single day.

I went back to day care after 6 months.
greenhouse 06:45 AM 01-26-2012
It's not so much hard as it is not challenging. I miss having a staff and being creative. I had so much responsibility and constant trouble shooting. My brain has turned to pudding staying home with the babies all day. I miss adult conversation so much!!! I also just care for 2 and don't plan on having more than 3 or 4 ever. I would go bananas with the 9 my state allows!
godiva83 06:55 AM 01-26-2012
I would say less stressful in someways - and in others more!

I was supervisor at a centre with 170 children, it was a lot of paper work, organization, working with the government on mandated rules, a whack load of phone calls, computer work, banking, books, reports ect I never really had the hands on time with the kids and I desperatly missed that, I only saw the sick or naughty ones who were sent to my office. I missed running circle, creative, gross motor, and all the daily fun kids can bring.

Running a HDC I get the best of both worlds ) I am my own boss and get to hang out with my kiddies all day.
Sometimes I get stressed with all the cleaning, prep work and isolation but hands down would take it any day.
familyschoolcare 07:40 AM 01-26-2012
parts of my job are a lot easier than other jobs I have had... I no longer have to consult "the boss" this makes dealing with things easier.
Sunchimes 07:43 AM 01-26-2012
I've been my own boss--or worked alongside my husband--since 1980, except for 2 years that I taught school. I've never worked as hard as I'm working now. There is a temporary lull right now with a maternity leave and temporary assignment changes, so it's a piece of cake. But, it should go back to 65 hour weeks in another month. In my previous business (17 years) most of my work was done from home. I had 2 days a week set in stone with no flexibility, but the rest of the work was done when I wanted to do it. DC has been an adjustment. Every. single. day I dance to someone else's tune. But, I have decent parents (I griped until I found the forum and your stories!) and I adore my babies.

For years, I've heard women say that they were going mad staying at home with kids. I always secretly sneered at how neurotic they were (I'm so sorry. I owe so many apologies to so many women!) But guess what? I get it. I do. Some days I think that if I hear "uh oh" or "peek a boo" one more time, I'll cry. But then, one of them will do something they've never done before, or use a new word, and I think how cool it is that I either taught them that or am the first one to see them figure it out! I'm lucky because my husband is semi-retired, so he is home more than most and I can lean out the play room door and exchange greetings now and then.

I've said before, I'm overworked, grossly underpaid, and sometimes feel like a toxic waste dump covered in snot and drool, but in my 40+ years of work, I've never had a job that included so much laughter. It's a pretty decent trade off!!!
youretooloud 07:53 AM 01-26-2012
It depends on the group. I have one hard child now, but she's been very sick, and it's probably going to be a while before she's feeling 100%. She was hospitalized, and she needs a lot of attention, and she also hated other adults because she assumes they are going to hurt her.

Other than that, this group is awesome and easy.

Honestly, I think this job is easy. I don't think I would have the energy to work at a center or outside the home, but even though I work very hard, at least I know I have the flexibility.

For instance, today, I don't really feel all that great. So, I'm going to let the kids watch tv for a while. Then, they can play playdough or color...but, I'm not planning on doing any projects. It's just going to be a freeplay day all day.

But, if I worked outside the home, or went to school fulltime, I think I'd have to stay home and rest up.
christinaskids 09:40 AM 01-26-2012
I think my own son is the worst part about my job honestly. He is 18 mos and is a little turkey. Throws fits all the time and screams constantly. Everytime i cook, he is throwing a tantrum the WHOLE TIME EVERYTIME cuz he really loves to eat and wants it now. Its hard to get him to go play cuz he doesnt want to play with toys, he wants to play with the toilet brush and clean the toilet like mommy does, he wants to sweep like mommy does. Hes constantly in the cupboards to play with the pots and pans and gets in the fridge to open food and pretend to cook like mommy does. I let him stir food as i cook sometimes and he wants to do it all the time. Ive called my hubby crying because of him before and when you add a colicky baby it is not fun. I hope he grows out of it soon. Aye.
Ariana 09:42 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
the hardest thing for me is the monotony and isolation. i love to learn new things, challenge myself with personal goals and have that daily interaction and change and that is all polar opposite of daycare.
This is exactly why I went back to university! It helps a LOT to have something mentally stimulating to look forward to!!
Heidi 11:00 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by christinaskids:
I think my own son is the worst part about my job honestly. He is 18 mos and is a little turkey. Throws fits all the time and screams constantly. Everytime i cook, he is throwing a tantrum the WHOLE TIME EVERYTIME cuz he really loves to eat and wants it now. Its hard to get him to go play cuz he doesnt want to play with toys, he wants to play with the toilet brush and clean the toilet like mommy does, he wants to sweep like mommy does. Hes constantly in the cupboards to play with the pots and pans and gets in the fridge to open food and pretend to cook like mommy does. I let him stir food as i cook sometimes and he wants to do it all the time. Ive called my hubby crying because of him before and when you add a colicky baby it is not fun. I hope he grows out of it soon. Aye.
yeah...bench, chair, or playpen off to the side=crying spot. It's probably time! If you need to cry, you can cry here. I will come get you (or you can come back) when you are are done.

My dc twins are 18 mo's. They are also into everything they can get their hands on. There are a lot of closed doors and gates up in this house right now. I just started a crying spot because one cries at the table all the time, too, then gets everyone else going. I put him on the bench, and said "when you are done, you can come back to the table. This happened 3x in one day, twice during the same meal, and then he got it...no crying at the table bub!
lovelife 11:40 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
its not too bad now, I find that my job never ends. When I use to work, I can leave my job and go home, but now I feel like I never leave my job.
I feel the exact same way.
cheerfuldom 12:12 PM 01-26-2012
countrymom, I used to have a really hard time with that too. Its a whole new world when you have a dedicated daycare area. I close the door at the end of the day, head upstairs and I am home! I dont let the daycare kids run loose upstairs and get on the furniture so that area feels separate from daycare area.
MNMum 12:22 PM 01-26-2012
I've worked for 10 years as a NICU nurse. Always parttime after having children. So I'd work 2 or 3 days at the hospital, then come home and "work" taking care of the kids, house, husband. Now I'm doing daycare 4 days/week.

Is it harder? Yes. I don't sit down except to give a bottle (and that is always interrupted with walking bottle feeding to deal with something else) from 7am-1:30pm.

More stressful? Right now it is. I'm new at this, so figuring out what rules I want parents to abide by has been difficult. I've been a pushover most of my life and while I want to help out the working parents...they are going to have to pay for the extras. The babies have been REALLY HARD! I'm not very good at tuning out loud screaming babies. My own three children rarely cried, and never to the point of me not being able to figure out what they needed. Personally, I think babies should be with their mommies, but our society has nixed that for so many babies.

On the other hand, at the hospital, sometimes I wouldn't sit for 8 hours straight, except to put a few numbers into the chart. At least I'm at home, occasionally getting a few home things done, and not having to commute. I'm doing this as much for my husband as I am for myself, and my children. I think it's made his working life a little easier, and lightened his load at home. And my children are getting a lot out of it. My 9 yo and 5 yo daughters love to "run" the daycare when they are home (and they are good at it!) My 2 yo asks about his friends when they aren't here on the weekends.

As for money...I'm working about twice as many hours to break even with my RN job...
wdmmom 12:22 PM 01-26-2012
The benefits to working from home by far outweigh being in the working field. Here I can "show up for work" without having my hair combed and be wearing sweats. I don't have to worry about a boss liking me or being written up for bologna reasons. If there's something I don't like, I know it's up to me to change it and I like having that choice.

The downfalls are not being able to leave, having to do all the shopping in the little off time you have, working long hours, and don't even get me going on the germs!

But, I'm making more money from home than I would in the working world, I'm home if my own kids need me and I'm able to keep up on the housework!

I can't even imagine my life being gone from the house 10 hours a day, coming home, tending to the housework, dinner, etc. I think that would be more nerve wracking!
saved4always 12:23 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by Daycaremomof2:
I was an AVP for a very large worldwide bank before I chose to stay home to care for my own children (actually- didnt have much of a choice, my daughter was the one that wouldn't cut it in daycare). Anyway, I can tell you that it is MUCH MUCH MUCH EASIER to take your children to the sitters everyday, go to work, and then pickthem up at the end of the day. MUCH easier.

In the corporate world, if you work hard, you get recognition, praise, awards, raises, promotions, etc. You get a lunch break (which I would use to work out), and lots of mini-breaks throughout the day. You get a quiet car ride (if you choose), to be alone in your car on the way to work, and have time to yourself to just think. You get to dress up and wear cute clothes that won't be messed up chewed up goldfish and milk. So much easier! And even though I worked 45-50 hours a week, it wasn't so bad, because I could directly see my income increasing. I had the power to make $100 an hour if I wanted to...

I now make $3.33 per hour per child. I wake up earlier. My days are longer. I do not get a lunch break, I do not get to wear cute clothes or socialize. I do not get promotions, or raises (unless I give them to myself). I do not get to exercise in the middle of the day. I do not get alone time. I do not even know what quiet time is...

BUT.... I do get to see my child take her first steps and say her first word. I do get to read to her all day, every day (thats her favorite right now). I have become a pretty good cook! I have become "domesticated." AAAK! I am teaching my 3 year old to read and write. I have taught my 1 year old to sign. And I get to teach a lot of other children the same thing! There are lots of rewards to this job, and the best is that I can stay home with my kids, which are the most precious treasures of all.

So... is childcare easier? HECK NO! But is it a lot more meaningful? Yep! We get to shape the future, one child at a time.
I feel the same way you do...it was often easier in the corporate world (definitely much more $$ and often more praise) and much less lonely with all the coworkers to talk to and I usually enjoyed my 45 minute commute so I could listen to my books on tape. I started doing the childcare in my home gig a couple years after I quit my job to stay home with my newborn daughter. There are times it is easier or more difficult depending on how many kids I have. Now I only have 3, no infants, so it is a very enjoyable, easier season. My daughter is now in school (actually for years now....she is in 4th grade...lol!) so I may re-enter a workplace soon. I love the children I watch but it may be time soon to get out of my house to do my job.
saved4always 12:29 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
countrymom, I used to have a really hard time with that too. Its a whole new world when you have a dedicated daycare area. I close the door at the end of the day, head upstairs and I am home! I dont let the daycare kids run loose upstairs and get on the furniture so that area feels separate from daycare area.
This is what I do now, too. I have moved most of the toys and supplies to my finished basement (that my family rarely uses). We use my front room (used to be my rarely used dining room, now a "sitting room") for drop off and pick up, the kitchen for snack and lunch and the basement play room for everything else. I only keep one basket of toys on the first level to keep the childern occupied for drop off and pick up so there is not much on the main level to "hide" so it is back to "my house" after the kids leave. So much better than when I used to use mostly my main part of the house.
MsMe 12:48 PM 01-26-2012
I am the opposite as most of you! I find Daycare SO much more stimulating and exciting then office work.

I started college as for Elem Ed. I worried that I would be a 'bad' teacher and switched to Accounting three years in. I got a job with a small builing company and did reception and accounting work for 6 months before I went completley NUTS!!!! It was SOOO quite, cold, and BORING (oh and I hated the dressing up everyday too! ). There were a few ladies there that were nice enough but I knew after a few months sitting behind a desk was NOT for me. Thankfully my Mother had the great idea of opening a daycare home and I quit the VERY NEXT DAY!!!

Stressfull --Yes Sometimes under apperciated--YES but so so so happy to never have to sit behind a desk every again. I need to play, laugh, move, be messy, silly, and comfy.

The best part is I haven't even gotten around to having my own kids yet!!! The best part is yet to come!
Angelmichelle 02:10 PM 01-26-2012
I'm just now going back to daycare. For the past two and a half years I've been working as a pediatric nurse; I've worked on a brain trauma injury unit with pediatrics on a 3:1 ratio (at the busiest point) and as a private duty nurse in pediatric patient homes on a 1:1 basis. Both of those jobs were fun, challenging, exciting, and except for the occasional code or non-operational/dysfunctional vent not very stressful. I recall daycare being much more stressful for many, many reasons: the non-payment of some parents, the inspections, the paperwork, the rude parents, the unruly children (not many, but enough)... the list goes on. I enjoyed what I did, I did it well and I was sad when I had to close up. Despite what I may have felt like on a bad day I also felt like I made a difference. I was able to keep my house, be home with my children, and make a livable wage. When my husband and I decided to re-open our home our children were ECSTATIC. That means it's more than worth the added stress for no other reason than knowing that I am doing what's truly best for my family.
JenNJ 02:17 PM 01-26-2012
Very unstressful! I have an excellent group of parents and kids who know the routine.

I come from a background of retail, waiting tables, and working the 2.5-3.5 year old room in a center. At the center, I had 2 pothead assistants, so I did it ALL myself without a lunch break (never left the kids alone with those two!). I had 26 kids in that class and worked 10 hours a day. That was stressful!
Countrygal 02:49 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by christinaskids:
In relation to other jobs you have had, how hard or stressful would you say being a daycare provider is? For me, it is pretty stressful working so many hours and constantly dealing with difficult kids but it works for me and i make more than if i worked outside the home. I often have 10-12 kids (the max) and its hard for me to keep them constantly entertained and from tattling on each other. Its not so bad in the summer, this job is way fun in the summer with all the outings! What about for you?
Well, I've only been doing it for four months now (third time in my life). I've worked all service-oriented jobs, a lot of retail and food, and three professional jobs.

In the retail and food my stress was not due to customers, but to bosses. On a scale of 0(lowest) to 10(highest stress), I'd give my retail and food service jobs an 8 - 9.

Along the professional vein, the stress was created by a push to succeed, do better, do more, etc, etc (I am a driven person ) and dealing with employess. Rate it a 7.

In-home Daycare? So far a 2. Only that high because SAHM was a definite 1 for me! I'll deal with the late payments, the parents cancelling at the last minute, the drop-ins, sick kids, etc, etc, all in order to be home and be training young minds again! LOVE IT!!!! The more you love it, the less stress it is!

In the summer I thoroughly expect it to drop to a 1!!!!

However, if I didn't have the wonderful dcparents I do, it would definitely be higher, but NEVER as high as working outside the home was! Not for me!
AfterSchoolMom 06:07 AM 01-27-2012
I'm down to one infant, so right now it's as UNstressful as can be. I am feeling the cabin fever after 7 months of just being a SAHM, but I'm able to get housework and things done during naptime...and there's a lot of naptime lately!

I've worked retail, waitressed, telemarketed, and spent four years as a real estate agent. This is the best job I've had so far. I'm also lucky right now that the family that I have is awesome. I think that makes ALL the difference (I've had some horrible DCP's in the past, and they really ruin the experience).
Lianne 08:49 AM 01-27-2012
I used to be a nanny (lived in for 5yrs then out for 9yrs)

Nannying was similar to home daycare but more stressful because there was only one child and they often wanted a play partner. Home daycare is busier in that I'm now caring for 5 kids needs at once. At least with a home daycare, if my housework doesn't get done because the kids are needy or I'm lazy, my 'boss' won't get upset with me and I can just do it the next day
Daycaremomof2 08:53 AM 01-27-2012
ALM- you said it! My oldest will be in kindergarten next year and my youngest is 1, but we are TTC #3 so I am in it for a few more years
Zoe 09:46 AM 01-27-2012
Like every job, there are pros and cons.

I've worked in retail, customer service, elementary and special ed teaching, and now daycare. I LOVED retail but knew I didn't want to do it for the rest of my life. Teaching was my dream but it quickly faded after getting into it. I hated it.

I've always been a home-body and hate being told what to do. I'm quieter around multiple adults, thus making the teaching interviewing process darn near impossible.

It never occurred to me how perfect daycare was for me until I started watching a friend's baby while I was at home with my own newborn. I'm my own boss, get to stay home with my own kids, get to stay in the house (no commute! no suits!), play all day with wonderful children, my dogs don't have to be cooped up all day, the list goes on!

I haven't had as many problem families as some of you have had. Maybe because I don't take crap from people, maybe from sheer dumb luck. IDK! The only downside I have is the constant cleaning and feeling like I'm never really off duty. But when I hear anyone complain about their job outside of the house, I realize just how lucky I am.

So to answer your question, I don't think my job is that hard at all. And I'm in it for life.
Meeko 08:51 PM 01-28-2012
I work long, hard hours. I deal with difficult parents. I get thrown up on. I get snotted on. I even get pooped on.

And it's the most satisfying job ever and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Here's to another 27 years......
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 01-29-2012
I my job. I even went back to school and earned my teaching degree and I am still in the child care business.
I have grown children who no longer live at home and am still in the child care business.
I've had my share of tough kids and difficult parents (although those have been a very rare thing in the last several years)....but I still never threw in the towel.

I have dedicated daycare space, I have specific hours I work, I have parents who are respectful and are appreciative of me and what I do, I have daycare children who LOVE coming everyday and who have made life long friends that they have "grown-up with" at daycare.

I have a job my DH can participate in.

I have a job where I am the boss.

I have a job that can be the worst job in the world or the best job in the world and whether it is the greatest or the worst is strictly up to me!!

(.... psst, to those of you who are wondering,^^^^ THAT is the key to whether you love or hate this job! Recognizing that YOU have the power to make it great or not.)
Sunchimes 07:21 AM 01-29-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

THAT is the key to whether you love or hate this job! Recognizing that YOU have the power to make it great or not.)
So, so, so true!!! Sadly, I didn't know this when I started. Oh how different this past year would have been had I found the forum last January instead of this fall. I approached this as a service job. "My job is to be at your beck and call and do things your way." I've found the start of a backbone and made some small changes that have changed my whole outlook. To my surprise, the most important changes have been in my own head. As my current families leave or go off to school, the next family will come in to handbooks, enforced rules, and a teamwork approach. I am a business owner not an employee. I'm already happier at my work than I was 3 months ago!
permanentvacation 07:08 AM 01-30-2012
To me, doing daycare is much easier, yet more stressful. Easier because I can sit on my butt most of the day and do what I want, when I want. No boss over my shoulders, no co-workers/office politics. I can go outside when I want, I'm not stuck in some stuffy office. I run the show here, if the kids are misbehaving, I can change activities, put the tv on, or have them take a nap. I can hire my substitute to do my job for me whenever I need/want a break or don't want to deal with my job.

However, it's more stressful because I am the business owner here. It's up to me to make or break my business. I am constantly advertising - even when I am grocery shopping, I am trying to drum up clients! I work/think about my business almost all day and night til I go to sleep! If I were just an employee somewhere, I'd show up at work, punch in, do my 8 hours, punch out, and forget about my job for the night and not even think about it all weekend long! I have to create a curriculum - well, it's not required. They can just play all day, but I don't believe in that. I feel that I should teach them. So, I have to create a curriculum. Yes, I can call my sub when I need to, but I am not going to call her over daily, so when the babies are having a rough day and want to cry all day, I have to deal with that while I'm trying to tend to the preschoolers - BIG HEADACHE by the end of the day! Simply the liability on my shoulders is enough to cause you a stroke! I am always monitoring the daycare area for little pieces of anything that the kids could choke on, worry when the children decide to do sumersaults! etc. that I don't allow, but they get the bright idea to do!

So, yeah, the day to day job of doing daycare, in my opinion, is a easier job than others, however, being a business owner which makes you have your business on your mind for the majority of your day, evening, and weekends, especially being the business owner of a company who is liable for the safety of other people's children makes it very stressful.
renodeb 04:57 PM 01-30-2012
Way harder of a job to be a provider hands down! I love the summer (outtings!) and hate the winter. I have 3-5 kids any given day.(6 is the max for me) It can seem like twice that many when they are bored. You hit it right on the head permanent vacation!
Debbie
sariejohnston 07:40 PM 01-30-2012
My Job right now is pretty stressful i love working with Kids and teaching them, i work with 2 year olds they are a fun group, but this years class is a little more stressful i have a mixture of kids that like to kick, bit, pinch, hit each other every chance they get, and some how they always seem to do it, so i am dealing with always filling out accident reports because someone got bite or someone got hit, one kid normally is doing the biting and no matter what i try times outs talking to her mom, talking to her about it on her level she does it i think for attention.. There some other stuff that goes on at my daycare that i don't like and i am not happy about such as raises, things never being the same, some people not really doing their job the best the can, i feel like we can be and do so much better. .... I edited this due to some personal reasons.
Mary Poppins 08:30 PM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
So, so, so true!!! Sadly, I didn't know this when I started. Oh how different this past year would have been had I found the forum last January instead of this fall. I approached this as a service job. "My job is to be at your beck and call and do things your way." I've found the start of a backbone and made some small changes that have changed my whole outlook. To my surprise, the most important changes have been in my own head. As my current families leave or go off to school, the next family will come in to handbooks, enforced rules, and a teamwork approach. I am a business owner not an employee. I'm already happier at my work than I was 3 months ago!

I feel exactly the same way. This forum has been a godsend and totally changed how I approach this business. For the better!!
Tags:burnt out, difficult job, hard time, stress
Reply Up