Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! 9 month old who wont nap!!
lucky 11:20 AM 04-15-2013
I have been very blessed with children who nap well for several years. I have a 9 month old who will only nap for about 20 minutes after you lay her down. If I kept holding her she would nap easily 11/2- 2 hours. I am at a loss! I tried letting her cry but she screams awfully. As soon as I pick her up big smile and shes instantly fine. The problem is she is very vocal at quiet time and she is starting to be mobile. My older kids nap in the main playroom. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
preschoolteacher 12:02 PM 04-15-2013
I have the exact same situation to deal with... except the 9 month old is my own son!! I know how to get him to nap when it's just the two of us, but the challenge will be continuing good naps when our house is full of other kids.

Very much looking forward to advice on how to do naps with multiple children. I'll be opening my daycare in the fall, but I am taking on one other child in two weeks.
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 04-15-2013
I read the title of this thread and thought "Oh my! She can hear him all the way over there!"

I am in the same boat. I just lie them down and let them be until nap time is over. I go by the clock, not the child.

Mine only cries for a little while and then falls asleep but wakes up half way through, cries again for about 5 minutes and goes back to sleep for the rest of nap time.

Sorry you are dealing with this issue. It can be VERY frustrating and tough.

I would try to work with parent and ask about how the child is laid down at home. 9 out of 10 times, they are allowed to either nurse or drink themselves to sleep or are held and rocked until sleeping so the child has NO clue how to put themselves to sleep.

It is a process and it does take time. It goes twice as quickly if parents are on the same page.
irishdancer 12:21 PM 04-15-2013
I have the same thing here. My nine month old will sleep in the baby seat for 2-3 hrs but the minute I put her in pak n play she screams. Left her there for 45 mins and still screaming. (laid her back down every 10 mins or so). She is getting too big for her seat so I have asked the parents to not rock her to sleep as I can not do it here with 5 other kids. Last week she was severely constipated and this week she had her first tooth pop through so it has not been going well.
Cradle2crayons 12:39 PM 04-15-2013
I had the same problem with my 15 month old dkg when I first started watching her. Come to find out I had let her get over tired and that's why she could not fall asleep. I changed her nap schedule and it worked like a charm.
Reply Up