Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fast Question
mrsnj 05:00 AM 02-13-2015
One of my school kids poked her eye on the school bus with a valentine yesterday evening. Today there is no school and she just arrived for the day. It is red. She said it was slightly crushy in the corner when she woke but doesn't itch or hurt etc. Not swollen. No discharge. You can see where it is more red in the section she said she poked. I am thinking she just scratched the eye with the card. (it was fine yesterday morning. She said it was fine up till she poked it) Would you keep her? Or send her home?
NoMoreJuice! 05:03 AM 02-13-2015
I would keep. Just advise her not to touch it, and to wash her hands very often just in case.
lovemykidstoo 05:15 AM 02-13-2015
My daughter had her eye poked with a piece of paper on teh bus a couple of years ago. She wore an eye patch for a week because she could barely open it and it constantly watered and hurt. I would not exclude.
Blackcat31 05:20 AM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
One of my school kids poked her eye on the school bus with a valentine yesterday evening. Today there is no school and she just arrived for the day. It is red. She said it was slightly crushy in the corner when she woke but doesn't itch or hurt etc. Not swollen. No discharge. You can see where it is more red in the section she said she poked. I am thinking she just scratched the eye with the card. (it was fine yesterday morning. She said it was fine up till she poked it) Would you keep her? Or send her home?
As someone who does NOT take my eyesight for granted, I would contact the parents and ask that she be seen by an ophthalmologist just to make sure.

Even the tiniest little scratch or injury to the eye can be dangerous.

I don't feel this is something I would exclude for but I WOULD feel uncomfortable having her there until she saw the eye Dr.

She could further injure her eye over the course of the day and that could come back to being an issue for you.

The eye Dr can give here drops to numb the eye so that she doesn't "feel" any scratches or irritants so she doesn't scratch, rub or bother her eye more.
lovemykidstoo 05:25 AM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
As someone who does NOT take my eyesight for granted, I would contact the parents and ask that she be seen by an ophthalmologist just to make sure.

Even the tiniest little scratch or injury to the eye can be dangerous.

I don't feel this is something I would exclude for but I WOULD feel uncomfortable having her there until she saw the eye Dr.

She could further injure her eye over the course of the day and that could come back to being an issue for you.

The eye Dr can give here drops to numb the eye so that she doesn't "feel" any scratches or irritants so she doesn't scratch, rub or bother her eye more.
Yes, she should be definitely seen, (wonder if she has been) but I wouldn't worry that she has something contagious or anything. LIke I wrote before my daughter had something almost identical and also my husband a year ago in the middle of the night somehow, someway scratched his cornea. They did the drops like you talked about to numb it and sent him on his way. He felt like someone was stabbing him in the eyeball, horrible pain. The numbing drops really helped him for awhile, till they wore off
Kabob 05:31 AM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Yes, she should be definitely seen, (wonder if she has been) but I wouldn't worry that she has something contagious or anything. LIke I wrote before my daughter had something almost identical and also my husband a year ago in the middle of the night somehow, someway scratched his cornea. They did the drops like you talked about to numb it and sent him on his way. He felt like someone was stabbing him in the eyeball, horrible pain. The numbing drops really helped him for awhile, till they wore off
I scratched my eye 2 years ago and it wasn't painful at first but then I started to rub it unconsciously and then by the morning my eye crusted over and I went to the dr to find out that it was infected and I did more damage over the course of 1 day. I should have gone in right away but didn't because it was just sore and watery at first and I didn't want to waste a dr visit...lesson learned.

While it isn't contagious, it does hurt and it could get further damaged or infected which could affect her vision. I'd have her parents take her in to be safe...
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:33 AM 02-13-2015
I would request the parents get her in because you are worried for her eyesight but I would keep her until the appointment if that was needed.
butterfly 08:41 AM 02-13-2015
I wouldn't exclude unless the child was bothered by it and complaining of pain.

I worked in the optical industry for many years before daycare. If a client called and asked us, we'd instruct them to be seen. Typically a contact would be placed on her eye and it would act as a bandage. In most cases it would be removed the next day and the patient would be fine. But infection is always a concern.
spud912 10:55 AM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I would request the parents get her in because you are worried for her eyesight but I would keep her until the appointment if that was needed.
This is what I would do.
Reply Up