Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is this Allowed?
Maggie 02:43 PM 05-12-2015
I have a dcg whose older brother just started driving and mom wants him to start picking her up on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He's only 17. I've never had this situation but I'm pretty sure there is a regulation that pick up person has to be at least 18. Does anyone know?
Rockgirl 03:03 PM 05-12-2015
It may depend on your state. I don't know of any rule against it where I am.
Blackcat31 03:14 PM 05-12-2015
I won't release a child to anyone under age 18. Too much liability involved.
Thriftylady 04:46 PM 05-12-2015
It likely depends on the state, but I would err on the side of caution. IF I did it, I would want a signed statement from the parents notarized.
kitykids3 04:50 PM 05-12-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
It likely depends on the state, but I would err on the side of caution. IF I did it, I would want a signed statement from the parents notarized.
This, but obviously he'd have to be put on the form in the file as a pick up person also.
daycare 05:13 PM 05-12-2015
another one here that agrees, depends on the state..

In ca, a new driver can not drive with minors in their car for one year.

Licensing also requires an authorized adult to pick up a child.

check with licsening
Maggie 03:24 AM 05-13-2015
Thanks for your replies, I will call licensing today. I'm really not comfortable with him picking her up but mom got an attitude when I told her it may not be allowed so I'm hoping licensing rules will take it out of my hands.
Second Home 03:25 AM 05-13-2015
In MD the first whole year is a provisional lic , you can not drive with anyone under 18 unless it is a family member .

But I would be weary of having someone under 18 pick up , I would worry that something could happen and it will come back on you because the pick up person was a minor . Though I have never seen anything saying only 18 or older can pick up .

If you decide to do this I would get something in writing that this is her new pick up person , he is still on a provisional lic , you accept no liability ,he is under 18 , etc...

You can also contact your lic rep and see what she has to say if you are thinking of allowing it .
LysesKids 04:33 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I won't release a child to anyone under age 18. Too much liability involved.
What if the parent is a minor? You can't legally keep a 17 year old mom from picking up her baby if she has a drivers license...
BTW, I had it happen to me - 3 moms in the same year... one 16, two were 17 (small town in IL in 2009).
Not saying I liked it, but the girls were the parents; I also had their moms co-sign the contracts
DaveA 04:41 AM 05-13-2015
Like others have said, it varies state to state. Regardless, I tell parents that minors are not allowed to pickup DCKs. Even if regulations don't prohibit it, if your are uncomfortable with the situation it's ok to tell a DCP that something isn't going to be allowed.
Annalee 04:48 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
What if the parent is a minor? You can't legally keep a 17 year old mom from picking up her baby if she has a drivers license...
BTW, I had it happen to me - 3 moms in the same year... one 16, two were 17 (small town in IL in 2009).
Not saying I liked it, but the girls were the parents; I also had their moms co-sign the contracts
I had a 14 yr old mother once (she is now 19 on her third child) and she came once to pick up her child when 14....I would not let her take him. The grandma came and apologized...just thought it would be ok But once the mom got her license, I allowed her to pick up
LysesKids 04:51 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I had a 14 yr old mother once (she is now 19 on her third child) and she came once to pick up her child when 14....I would not let her take him. The grandma came and apologized...just thought it would be ok But once the mom got her license, I allowed her to pick up
Oh heck... at 14, no way lol. Once a mom has a license, I don't see how someone can not let them pick up. I had one mom who use to walk a mile to me every morning because she had no license - daddy always picked up in evenings, but it never failed rain or shine, she was there at 7:30a
LysesKids 04:54 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by Second Home:
In MD the first whole year is a provisional lic , you can not drive with anyone under 18 unless it is a family member .

But I would be weary of having someone under 18 pick up , I would worry that something could happen and it will come back on you because the pick up person was a minor . Though I have never seen anything saying only 18 or older can pick up .

If you decide to do this I would get something in writing that this is her new pick up person , he is still on a provisional lic , you accept no liability ,he is under 18 , etc...

You can also contact your lic rep and see what she has to say if you are thinking of allowing it .
Back when I got a MD license ( '76) we could just hop in the car and go get our friends to celebrate the minute we passed, now that can never happen
bklsmum 05:08 AM 05-13-2015
I would call licensing to make sure it isn't against the rules for your state and if they okay it I would ask Mom for a signed permission form that is notarized to release you from liability and I would allow it after that.
Blackcat31 07:10 AM 05-13-2015
The wording in my licensing rules state a child may be released only to their parent or "adult" guardian.

So I am guessing "parent" covers anyone who isn't 18.
LindseyA 07:28 AM 05-13-2015
I also had really young mother (15) who would always get rides from grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins to pick up and drop off her baby. I always admired the family members who would give the rides, because it probably was a hassle but did it anyway. Young mom would always seem grateful and often embarrassed if other parents came at the same time. I have to give her props. She had the attitude of "I got myself in this mess, I have to deal with it and work hard for my child"
I would def call licensing though
Thriftylady 09:23 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by Maggie:
Thanks for your replies, I will call licensing today. I'm really not comfortable with him picking her up but mom got an attitude when I told her it may not be allowed so I'm hoping licensing rules will take it out of my hands.
I would tell her it is against the rules then, I doubt she will check herself.
Fiddlesticks 10:14 AM 05-13-2015
Hm. I have never had this situation come up at daycare, and I would be interested to know if it against licensing rules. Here we can have a high school student leave class to pick up an elementary/middle school sibling if they have to leave school early. I know because my son fainted during mass at school, my husband was out if town, I was here with 10 daycare children I was unable to transport, and my daughter left high school, brought my son to me, and went back to class. When I called the high school to see if that was a possibility they said, "Sure, it happens all the time, we will send her out right away." My son was fine, by the way, my children are just like fainting goats, over heated? Standing too long? See something that turns their stomach? Over they go.
Blackcat31 10:26 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
Hm. I have never had this situation come up at daycare, and I would be interested to know if it against licensing rules. Here we can have a high school student leave class to pick up an elementary/middle school sibling if they have to leave school early. I know because my son fainted during mass at school, my husband was out if town, I was here with 10 daycare children I was unable to transport, and my daughter left high school, brought my son to me, and went back to class. When I called the high school to see if that was a possibility they said, "Sure, it happens all the time, we will send her out right away." My son was fine, by the way, my children are just like fainting goats, over heated? Standing too long? See something that turns their stomach? Over they go.
We are in the same state.

Licensing rules say something along the lines of "release of child to an adult or assigned party" but does not legally spell it out.

However, for insurance and personal liability reasons I would never agree to allow a child to be released to a minor. Even if a parent gives permission.

Parents can't waive their rights to sue you should something happen and a signed permission slip will not protect you.

My licensor said it should always be a parent, adult, guardian or assigned adult.
daycarediva 11:45 AM 05-13-2015
As a teen Mom myself, I was legally emancipated and could sign contracts as an adult.

My daughter was in daycare when I was 16 and yes I picked her up and dropped her off. Thankfully no one ever made me feel 'less' or gave the impression that they didn't like releasing my child to me, because I was/am a very good parent.

I would check with licensing and CYA, but if it's legal and the parents sign him on as an authorized pick up person, you can't withhold the child. My own daughter is almost 16 now and FAR more responsible than most of my daycare parents.
Thriftylady 01:13 PM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
As a teen Mom myself, I was legally emancipated and could sign contracts as an adult.

My daughter was in daycare when I was 16 and yes I picked her up and dropped her off. Thankfully no one ever made me feel 'less' or gave the impression that they didn't like releasing my child to me, because I was/am a very good parent.

I would check with licensing and CYA, but if it's legal and the parents sign him on as an authorized pick up person, you can't withhold the child. My own daughter is almost 16 now and FAR more responsible than most of my daycare parents.
To me a 16 yr old parent should be able to pick up their child because they are the parent. That is the difference. I would ask a parent to cosign the contract to CYA. But if not the parent I would have issues with it.
crazydaycarelady 01:29 PM 05-13-2015
I had an older brother that used to pick up his two younger siblings on occasion. I did not have a problem with it. That is what worked best for the family on those days and he was on the pick up list.
Unregistered 03:14 AM 05-14-2015
Honestly, if you tell the parents that you wont allow it I expect that they will term shortly. Parents do what is convenient for them. If the 17 year old is convenient for them to pick up then that is what they will do. I suspect they will find a place that will have no issue with the 17 picking up.
Play Care 03:24 AM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I had an older brother that used to pick up his two younger siblings on occasion. I did not have a problem with it. That is what worked best for the family on those days and he was on the pick up list.
This.
I fail to see how *I* would be liable if the dcp's want the sibling to pick up, and sign off on it, provided it's allowed by licensing. I would make sure they sign a waiver. FWIW, while a waiver won't keep you from being sued, it can save your butt if you are sued - Say 17 yo sibling gets into an accident on the way home from dc, and younger child is hurt. Parents sue you saying you shouldn't have let younger child leave with older child - you have the waiver showing they wanted this arrangement...
LysesKids 03:27 AM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Oh I never withheld the babies at pick up and my 16 parent was more responsible than the two 17 year olds (some feuding crap that got both booted within 6 months) - none were emancipated that's why the grandparents had to cosign the daycare contract

BTW, my oldest dd had my first grandchild just after she turned 17 (she's 30 and has 4 kids now)... she too was emancipated and a very responsible parent; she had already graduated High school and had a job and an apartment. She now makes more $ than any other person in the family lol
daycaremum 08:46 AM 05-14-2015
I would certainly check with licensing (I am in Ontario Canada and can be legally independent, so the decision would be mine alone).

If it was up to me, I would have absolutely no problem releasing a child to their teenage sibling as young as 13 if that is what the parents requested of me. Of course a 13 year old sibling would be walking them home, but an older one may be driving. I would also check the driving laws, in Ontario there is a tiered licensing system and each tier has different rules about who may be in the car with the young driver…

If it's all "legal" and the parents request it and fill out a form that the individual is allowed to pick up the child, I would have no problem.
KIDZRMYBIZ 09:00 AM 05-14-2015
I laughed when I read OPs post. When I was 15-18yo in the early 90's, I picked up 2 kids (2yo and 5yo beginning) from an in-home daycare after school and took them to their home around the block till their mom and dad got home. I usually walked us, but if the weather was bad, my dad would drive us in his mail jeep before I got my own car at 17. Yep, mail jeep, meaning no car seats, no seatbelts, not even seats! Just an open area with wheel wells to sit on. Was it ever fun! Times, boy how have they ever changed.

I remember the daycare lady not being so keen on the arrangement. But then, she had a pot-bellied pig running around loose, so who's to judge?!

Maggie 09:38 AM 05-14-2015
I'm still waiting for a call back from my licensor to confirm but I read through the regulations and there's nothing about an age requirement just parent, guardian or person approved by parent or guardian. I told mom to write a letter saying that the brother is now an approved pick up person. I know it's none of my business but I've had this family for 12 years, the older brother from age 5-10 and 10 year old dcg since she was born so I know I'm going to be worried sick every time I see them pull away.
Blackcat31 10:40 AM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by Maggie:
I'm still waiting for a call back from my licensor to confirm but I read through the regulations and there's nothing about an age requirement just parent, guardian or person approved by parent or guardian. I told mom to write a letter saying that the brother is now an approved pick up person. I know it's none of my business but I've had this family for 12 years, the older brother from age 5-10 and 10 year old dcg since she was born so I know I'm going to be worried sick every time I see them pull away.
It might be a good idea to contact your insurance company too and see if your liability coverage has any specifics.

Honestly, if I had any doubts or concerns about the kids (both DCK's and the ones picking up) I'd have to share my thoughts with the parent. If something happened, I would have a hard time living with myself.

In this day and age and in this business especially we have to follow rules/regulations/laws but we also have to listen to our instincts and conscious too.
Annalee 10:50 AM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I laughed when I read OPs post. When I was 15-18yo in the early 90's, I picked up 2 kids (2yo and 5yo beginning) from an in-home daycare after school and took them to their home around the block till their mom and dad got home. I usually walked us, but if the weather was bad, my dad would drive us in his mail jeep before I got my own car at 17. Yep, mail jeep, meaning no car seats, no seatbelts, not even seats! Just an open area with wheel wells to sit on. Was it ever fun! Times, boy how have they ever changed.

I remember the daycare lady not being so keen on the arrangement. But then, she had a pot-bellied pig running around loose, so who's to judge?!

I showed my mom this and she said when dad and her would come home each weekend from the military they would pack the back seat floor board with clothes to make it even with the backrow seat and my brothers and I would play the entire way home and sometimes fall asleep. Of course this was in the late 60's early 70's. Times do change.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:50 AM 05-15-2015
I have an uncle (15) and aunt (13) that pick up little one on occasions when grandma is running late. I have a written note that they are ok to pick up. They are my neighbors so picking up is just walking her up the hill. The aunt and uncle are much more responsible for little one than her mom is (who does not have custody) I anticipate that once uncle turns 16 he will be picking up more often- to meet grandma in town etc.
If parents say their 17 yr old is ok. I would release the child to him. If I saw anything that concerned me - inability to safely secure child etc then I would have a discussion.
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:37 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I showed my mom this and she said when dad and her would come home each weekend from the military they would pack the back seat floor board with clothes to make it even with the backrow seat and my brothers and I would play the entire way home and sometimes fall asleep. Of course this was in the late 60's early 70's. Times do change.
Yes! My folks had a Datsun hatchback, and my siblings and I would fight over who got to ride in the way back, which was basically the trunk of the car! This was in the late 70s and early 80s. Now, it gives me a heart attack to even think that a child might not be in a proper seat or positioned correctly in said seat! How did we ever survive?! I don't know!
Reply Up