Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Post Interview Follow Ups?
MG&Lsmom 07:16 AM 08-11-2011
I had what I thought was a great interview Monday night. I sent mom a follow up email with the references she asked for and said to email or call if she thought of more questions. She's contacted neither reference, nor have I heard back. I've done follow up emails/calls before and I've left it alone. Neither seems to bring more or less results. What do you all do post interview?
Zoe 07:20 AM 08-11-2011
I have a list of references I give out (if asked for) during the interview. Then I ask them to call me either way. I don't want to give them a time limit to think about it, but in my mind, if I don't hear from them in a week, then I assume they don't need me. I don't want to have to stress about it for very long so that's the amount of time I give myself to think about it. Long enough.

Some people are going to be rude and never contact you again no matter what you do, so I don't bother with contacting them again.
wdmmom 07:43 AM 08-11-2011
I do a 3 interview process before I enroll.

If the first interview went well, I usually wait about 48 hours and send a follow up email thanking them for their time.

I usually leave it up to the parents to figure out when they want to do the second interview. If I really want the job, I'll offer them a few times I have available the following week to see if they want to come back.

I can usually get a good indication after the first interview if these are parents/children I want to work for, if I'll hear back, etc.

I also tell them that I would like to fill the spot by (date), that usually prompts them to make a decision a little quicker. Especially if I have tons of ads up, then they feel like they need to jump on the offer or take a chance of losing the spot to someone else.
flightlessbird11 08:12 AM 08-11-2011
If the interview went well, I will send a follow up email the next day, thanking them for coming and meeting with me, and if they have any further questions to not hesitate to call. I will also usually throw a compliment to their child in there also, saying how sweet so and so seems and that I feel they would be a good fit for my program. I'll end by saying "looking forward to hearing from you".

I've had four interviews the last 2 weeks, 2 went VERY well ( one of which enrolled!!YAY! 3month old G) and 2 were ok. One DCM said she wanted her DS2, to start next week, and that she would drop off paperwork this week.....haven't heard a word. The other soso interview live right down the block from me and wanted to start Monday...nothing.

My interview last night went sooooooo well, and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. Awesome family, beautiful son, very open about everything, and shared my families beliefs, values, and parenting style. I won't know till Monday, but I'm just praying she chooses my program. I've not had the best of luck with DCfamilies.

You never know though sometimes,huh? Another thing I may do after interviewing a family, is to tell them I do have another family interviwing for that spot, ( even if I don't) just to speed up the response. I'm horrible I know, but that's the only white lie I will tell!

Sorry so long
KBCsMommy 08:46 AM 08-11-2011
I hate interviewing!! I think its the worst part about daycare!!
I always have great interviews, parents tell me I have a lovely home, family etc. they will call in a few days. Then never hear from them again!!

I had a infant spot over the summer and interviewed 6 families!! Only one mom called back to tell me they were going w another provider. Eventually I did fill the spot.

I do call back after a day to tell the families they are a good fit etc. but if they are not interested they wont call back.

Good Luck and keep advertising!
permanentvacation 12:30 PM 08-11-2011
I give parents one shot! I tell them when they first call me that I only schedule interviews if they are able to bring the first weeks payment in cash with them to the interview and they need to start within 2 weeks of the interview. If they are 10 minutes late, I call them and let them know that I only allow people to be 10 minutes late and that I am leaving now to go out. Then I tell them to call me if they are simply running late and are on their way. If they call me immediately and are on their way, I decide based on their reason for being late as to whether or not I will stay and wait for them to arrive. If they call me the next day after simply not showing up and not calling to let me know they weren't going to make it to the interview, I tell them that I do not re-schedule interviews. I let them know that they have already shown me the type of client they will be and I do not want to work with them.

For those who do arrive to my home on time for an interview... I used to be hired on the spot for every interview that I had. However, I moved to a smaller place (due to getting divorced) and it has hurt my business. I knew I wouldn't do well doing daycare here! So, now, many people on the interview tell me they are interviewing a few places and will get back with me, or they need to discuss it with their husband and will call me later. If I don't hear from them by the 2nd evening after the interview (if I wanted the kid!), I call them. Of course, if they hadn't called me, it usually means they didn't want to hire me! So, typically me calling them is a waist of my time. However, I have had a couple of people say they were glad I had called because they had lost my number (why they couldn't look up my ad again, I don't know!) and they hired me.

I have noticed that almost none of the parents that bring the grandmother along on the interview hire me at all. I HATE it when they bring the grandmother and I really believe it shows in my mannerisms during the interview even though I try not to let it show. I personally feel that it's sad that a grown adult who lives alone or with a spouse/significant other and has had a child is incapable of making parental discisions for that child. I honestly think to myself during the interviews whether the parent of the child needs grandmom to tell her what to prepare for the child's meals, what clothing to put on the child daily, etc. I know, I'm being a prude! But it really irritates me that the parent is not able to be a parent and needs their mommy to help them be a parent to their child.

I am moving by the end of the month to a bigger home. I really hope (and believe) it will help my business! I really should have kept my single-family house with it's huge fenced yard and nicely designed playground instead of selling it after the divorce! Now I'm starting over in a tiny place with not much to offer! But I'm working on things!
mom2many 02:10 PM 08-11-2011
I give out references at the initial interview and wait to hear back from them. I have never done any follow up calls or emails. I usually give them a few days to get back to me and if I don't hear anything, I assume they've found a better fit somewhere else.

I have had several first time moms not understand it's critical to get back to me in a timely fashion or they may lose out on a spot. A few years ago a mom left it open ended when she left the interview saying she'd call me back. When I didn't hear from her, I continued interviewing and filled the spot immediately. Several weeks later, she finally called back to say she was interested in the spot. Fortunately, she only needed p/t care, so I was able to accommodate her. I did let her know she was lucky the other family I'd just signed on with was also p/t...otherwise the spot would have been gone!

In another case, a mom said she'd call me back, but didn't and I heard through a current dcm that this mom was definitely interested and was shocked she'd never conveyed that to me. She eventually called me and was lucky I still had an opening!
nannyde 03:09 PM 08-11-2011
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I give parents one shot! I tell them when they first call me that I only schedule interviews if they are able to bring the first weeks payment in cash with them to the interview and they need to start within 2 weeks of the interview. If they are 10 minutes late, I call them and let them know that I only allow people to be 10 minutes late and that I am leaving now to go out. Then I tell them to call me if they are simply running late and are on their way. If they call me immediately and are on their way, I decide based on their reason for being late as to whether or not I will stay and wait for them to arrive. If they call me the next day after simply not showing up and not calling to let me know they weren't going to make it to the interview, I tell them that I do not re-schedule interviews. I let them know that they have already shown me the type of client they will be and I do not want to work with them.

For those who do arrive to my home on time for an interview... I used to be hired on the spot for every interview that I had. However, I moved to a smaller place (due to getting divorced) and it has hurt my business. I knew I wouldn't do well doing daycare here! So, now, many people on the interview tell me they are interviewing a few places and will get back with me, or they need to discuss it with their husband and will call me later. If I don't hear from them by the 2nd evening after the interview (if I wanted the kid!), I call them. Of course, if they hadn't called me, it usually means they didn't want to hire me! So, typically me calling them is a waist of my time. However, I have had a couple of people say they were glad I had called because they had lost my number (why they couldn't look up my ad again, I don't know!) and they hired me.

I have noticed that almost none of the parents that bring the grandmother along on the interview hire me at all. I HATE it when they bring the grandmother and I really believe it shows in my mannerisms during the interview even though I try not to let it show. I personally feel that it's sad that a grown adult who lives alone or with a spouse/significant other and has had a child is incapable of making parental discisions for that child. I honestly think to myself during the interviews whether the parent of the child needs grandmom to tell her what to prepare for the child's meals, what clothing to put on the child daily, etc. I know, I'm being a prude! But it really irritates me that the parent is not able to be a parent and needs their mommy to help them be a parent to their child.

I am moving by the end of the month to a bigger home. I really hope (and believe) it will help my business! I really should have kept my single-family house with it's huge fenced yard and nicely designed playground instead of selling it after the divorce! Now I'm starting over in a tiny place with not much to offer! But I'm working on things!
That's interesting what you say about the gma's.

I don't mind them coming. Back in the day nearly all of my interviews included at least the maternal gma.

One thing about gma's is if they are the ones paying all or part, are doing the picking up, have been the primary caregiver in the past for free OR they have a LOT of face time with the kid (weekends/evenings)... then it's really important for them to be on board with the decision of the kid coming to you.

A parent going against their parents decision works for the initial decision BUT over time... if the gma doesn't agree and she is doing a bunch of special special for her kid... she will ultimately get her way. In the meantime she can make your life a misery.

You are better off to have them there from the begining and have them bless your gig then to have them be upset because they didn't get input or the choice on the pick.

BTDT and had to term over it. NOT fun.

It used to be SO common to get calls for 2 year olds who had been with gma for free. Then over time it got to where you would get calls for babies about 9-10 months who had been at gmas's for free. Gma would do it for their kid but once the grandbaby got mobile they either decided to go to work or they didn't want to do it anymore.

Now it's not so common to get kids who have been with gma. This generation of Granny's have Facebook now. They have had at least a decade of the wide wide world web They aren't so easily convinced that it is their obligation to help their kids. Dr. Phil has convinced them that they don't OWE it to their own child.

So when you run into one that is actually caring for their grandkid... even on times when it's not when the parent is working... you have a unique deal. The gma KNOWS from what she sees with her agemates and what she knows from tv and society that she isn't obligated to help. She knows she has way funner stuff to do...

So when she comes your way with an opinion that is earned by doing the HARD work that we do every day for free... it's best to give her the acknowledgement from the go. It's just better to have her on your team.

If she is the Daddy's Mama and the DIL decides on you and there is a riff between the DIL and MIL belive me... the MIL will ultimately win IF she is doing special special for her kid.

Just don't underestimate her power in it IF she is doing free. If you can get them in the interview then gear the interview equally to her. If she senses you aren't digging her spot in the deal then she will be very influential in her kids choice.

That may be what you are seeing. By the time someone is a granny they KNOW from the go whether or not they will bless you. If the granny doesn't get a shot at putting in her opinion she can blow it up later. If she gets a shot at it and doesn't like you then she will blow it up right away.

Better to make nice and have her on your side.
MG&Lsmom 03:44 PM 08-11-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I do a 3 interview process before I enroll.

If the first interview went well, I usually wait about 48 hours and send a follow up email thanking them for their time.

I usually leave it up to the parents to figure out when they want to do the second interview. If I really want the job, I'll offer them a few times I have available the following week to see if they want to come back.

I can usually get a good indication after the first interview if these are parents/children I want to work for, if I'll hear back, etc.

I also tell them that I would like to fill the spot by (date), that usually prompts them to make a decision a little quicker. Especially if I have tons of ads up, then they feel like they need to jump on the offer or take a chance of losing the spot to someone else.
I also have a 3 part interview process, thanks you ladies! I do the initial after hours, with parents and child. We do all the businessy stuff then. If I get a good vibe, I invite parent and child back for a 30 min playdate so they can see me in action and I can get a bit of idea of how child behaves with parent present. Finally I invite them back for an hour to play without the parent present to see how they separate and if any red flags come up.

I had a full house Tues and Wed and told mom this. It was short notice but I said it was the perfect time for them to come for the 30 min playdate. Mom was not working and she thought so too. Nothing. I might give her a call or send another email next week. If I don't get another FT child by the end of the month, I'm going to close for a while and look for a PT job, sub at school or just enjoy some time off.
Cat Herder 03:52 PM 08-11-2011
I LOVE Grandparents.....

Probably 80% of my Daycare Facebook page is Grandparent activity.

I even mail Grandparents artwork from time to time. Some have mailed me back AWESOME books, puzzles, toys, CD's and art supplies.

Every one of my DCK's Grandparents have been in my home.

It may be a Southern thing, though....

OP, I would email and let her know that you have someone interested in the slot but wanted to verify with her that she was not planning on taking it, first.
permanentvacation 04:20 PM 08-11-2011
Nope. I feel that if the people that made the baby are incapable of being parents - which includes making decisions for their child, then I don't want them as a client. Grandmom should not be interviewing daycares or paying the daycare! That's the parent's responsibility!

A parent should be a parent! A grandmother should be a grandmother - which in my book does not include making daily decisions for the child.

I want to work with parents that are grown-ups themselves. Parents that are mature and capable of making decisions for their child. I do not want to work with someone who has to constantly tell me "I'll have to ask my mom first before I can let you know" or "my mom said this or that". No! You are the parent! ACT LIKE ONE and stop running to mommy! The parents that do this make me feel like they are more like the child's brother or sister (not their mom or dad) and that the grandmother is actually the mother. I feel like I have to constantly ask the child's sister(supposed to be the mother) to relay messages to the mother (actually grandmom) and then I have to wait for a response to come back! The entire time I'm thinking, "Lady, are you or are you not this child's mother!?!!? Are you serious, you can't tell me if he needs a 2 or 3 hour nap? Or you can't tell me if you are able to afford an increase in pay?"

I feel that yes, a person is going to discuss things with their parent and ask their opinion and advice, but they should not take the grandmother with them to pick out a dentist, doctor, daycare, etc. It's one thing to ask advice, it's another to have the grandmother pretty much be the parent.

Grandparents are extremely important in children's lives. I don't want you to think I'm anti-grandparent! But a grandparent should not be doing the parent's job. My parents never raised the grandkids. Neither did my ex-husbands kids. The parents in my family are the parents and the grandparents are the ones who have a big Sunday dinner every couple of weeks to get everyone together. We went to grandma's to bake cookies and play outside with her. But she didn't help pick out our daily activities - that's what parents are for.

When I do have a grandparent overly involved in my daycare kid's daily activities, the parent and child are typically VERY HAPPY with everything that goes on in the daycare. However, grandmom nit-picks, puts words in peoples mouths, changes/tweaks the story, mis-understands, etc. and simply causes problems for everyone involved!
snbauser 04:55 PM 08-11-2011
I do not follow up. I give them everything they need at the first interview. I tell them at the interview that I continue to advertise and interview until the paperwork and deposit are turned in and if they have any questions to feel free to email or call me. When I first started out I would follow up, wait for responses, and turn away potential clients while waiting to hear from someone that interviewed only to never hear from them again.
Tags:interview, interview follow up
Reply Up