Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Lice Help!!
cara041083 03:07 PM 04-03-2014
The 3 year old that I watch had what looked like nits all over her had. I looked and didn't see any bugs or black spots. So I don't know if it is lice or what. What else could it be? Its not dandruff because they are stuck to the hair like nits. What do I need to do in terms of my house and own kids? Now Im freaking out. What do the parents need to do if there isn't any bugs yet? will the shampoo kill the nits?
TwinKristi 03:13 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
The 3 year old that I watch had what looked like nits all over her had. I looked and didn't see any bugs or black spots. So I don't know if it is lice or what. What else could it be? Its not dandruff because they are stuck to the hair like nits. What do I need to do in terms of my house and own kids? Now Im freaking out. What do the parents need to do if there isn't any bugs yet? will the shampoo kill the nits?
http://thehairangels.com/

I don't know where you're located but maybe see if there's a service like this near by.

A little boy in my DC had lice, but barely had any nits. I checked him two separate times and honestly thought it was skin. Even pulled one out and looked closely at it. His mom took him to the place I linked and they found like 4 nits. His grandma was covered though. I checked all my kids, myself, my dh... we don't have it. I would start with just using the shampoo on everyone, bag up any of his linens, extra clothes, etc. and wash on THE HOTTEST setting you have. Lice need somewhere to live AND eat, they won't just live wherever. They make a spray you can use, a cream you can put in the hair to prevent it once you've gotten rid of it.
cara041083 04:15 PM 04-03-2014
Well mom just called and said it was dried hairspray from last night. Ok Im not stupid and I know what nits look like! So now I don't know what to do. Do I let her come tomorrow? My gut says no
TwinKristi 04:26 PM 04-03-2014
Well mom just called and said it was dried hairspray from last night. Ok Im not stupid and I know what nits look like! So now I don't know what to do. Do I let her come tomorrow? My gut says no
I would insist she either a) see a dr and get cleared or b) use the shampoo.
Luvnmykidz 04:38 PM 04-03-2014
Never dealt with that..but if your gut is saying no, listen to your gut. Request for her to see a Dr and maybe have a form filled out to verify its not lice. I thought a member here mentioned a doctor verification form before, but I could be wrong.
craftymissbeth 05:56 PM 04-03-2014
http://www.kdheks.gov/bcclr/applicat..._Exclusion.pdf

You have to exclude for untreated head lice.

So I'm guessing if she treats for it she can come back? I'd maybe require dcm bring in a receipt for lice shampoo or something just to CYA and prove she treated.
craftymissbeth 05:56 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I would insist she either a) see a dr and get cleared or b) use the shampoo.

debbiedoeszip 11:36 AM 04-06-2014
The policies I've seen require that the hair be 100% lice and nit-free upon return (with the provider or teacher checking). I've never seen a policy that required chemical treatment, though. Between how harsh the chemicals can be, and that lice are becoming resistant to those chemicals in some areas, some opt to use chemical-free methods of getting rid of the lice.

IME (DS had lice once per school year from gr. 2-6), nits are one of those things that you know them when you see them, so if you're pretty sure what you saw were nits, then they were most likely nits (IOW, mom's probably full of it; trust your gut).

I've only once seen one actual louse in my DS' hair. Every other time it's been nits that were seen. Lice are very quick and very good at hiding so I'm not surprised that you found only nits. The person would have to be heavily infested for you to easily find a louse in their hair.

As for what to do with your home, if it's cloth and can be put through a hot drier, then do so. If it can't be dried but can be bagged, then bag for two weeks. If it can't be dried or bagged, then vacuum the daylights out of it.

It's not advisable that you do a chemical treatment on yourself or your family unless you find nits or lice in your/their hair. The chemicals are very harsh, and also, they are literally poison. Don't use them unless you have to.

Lice infestations are emotionally hard and they are tedious to get rid of, but pose no health risks so don't go overboard. Check heads and dry/bag/vacuum, and then go about as normal.
craftymissbeth 12:36 PM 04-06-2014
Debbie, KS regs say it has to at least be treated before they can return. We used this more as a prevention measure... my niece had lice and thankfully we never ended up getting it, but we used this product just in case. It is pesticide free and non-toxic.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/lic...d-00005caf4030
Cradle2crayons 01:54 PM 04-06-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Debbie, KS regs say it has to at least be treated before they can return. We used this more as a prevention measure... my niece had lice and thankfully we never ended up getting it, but we used this product just in case. It is pesticide free and non-toxic.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/lic...d-00005caf4030
Schools and daycares here require PROOF of purchase of lice shampoo and treatment and a head check before they are allowed to return.
craftymissbeth 01:57 PM 04-06-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Schools and daycares here require PROOF of purchase of lice shampoo and treatment and a head check before they are allowed to return.
I agree... like I said above I would require a receipt or some sort of proof.
Cradle2crayons 02:05 PM 04-06-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I agree... like I said above I would require a receipt or some sort of proof.

Tags:lice, lice removal, nits
Reply Up