Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>How Long Is To Long
Heatherw711 06:55 AM 06-28-2011
My child is 2 1/2 and she is potty training. She is almost fully there but still has a few accidents. She is in a 3K class at daycare since they considered her "accelerated" for her age. Her morning teacher told her that she better not potty in her pants for the rest of the day or she was going to be in trouble the next morning. My child tee teed in her pants after she left and the afternoon teacher left a note for the morning teacher. This morning when I was dropping my daughter off the morning teacher told my child that she was going to have to hold the fence while the other kids were playing on the playground. My question is how long is to long to punish a child or going potty in their pants. I told her teacher that I took care of it last night but she seemed adamant about her holding the fence. Should I talk to the director?
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 06-28-2011
Personally, I think it is wrong to punish a child for toileting accidents. I even think in many states it maybe against the licensing rules to do so. I would talk to your director immediately. In this situation, I would also have a problem with the morning teacher punishing my child for something that occured the day before with the afternoon teacher. Talk to the director!
Cat Herder 08:09 AM 06-28-2011
Punishing toileting accidents at 2.5 years is inexcusable.

Licensing would be on me so fast I would not know what happened.

Check your states rules and regs.

My personal advice, Leave work now and go talk to the director.
SilverSabre25 08:16 AM 06-28-2011
a child should not be punished for a toileting accident no matter what age they are...especially not at 2.5, and especially not more than 12 hours later!!!!!

I agree with catherder...go talk to the director--NOW.
Cat Herder 08:27 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
a child should not be punished for a toileting accident no matter what age they are....
I left it open because there is an exception to every rule. I have a 7 year old family member who would do it on purpose in the car to keep from having to go to school. Also in stores when told no to a toy/candy request.
nannyde 08:40 AM 06-28-2011
No potty punishment.

She would go back into pull ups here until she had two weeks of accident free.
Heatherw711 08:45 AM 06-28-2011
Thanks you guys. I called the director & talked to her & is going to talk to the teacher. I don't think they have a license because it is a Private Christian School & Daycare. I wasn't sure if it was just my mommy hackles or if it really didn't seem right. Apparently she looked directly at the teacher and tee teed in her pants instead of telling her that she needed to go. While that does not deem being punished over 12 hrs later it does deem losing a privilege right then especially when she will & can tell you that she has to potty.

Her teacher does not want her in pull-ups except during nap time because she said that it "confuses" the kids when they bounce in between them & panties.
Christian Mother 10:54 PM 07-05-2011
My guess is that this little one is scared of her teacher. I work with 2 1/2 yr olds and they will regress bad if there is any form of punishment or discipline in training. There still so new in training at that age that only positive reinforcement should be made. She should be in pull ups until she is able to go successfully all day staying dry and then move to dry undies after 2 weeks. I sometimes move them right away to undies but I am 4 to 1 ratio in my daycare. I normally have them completely potty trained after 2 weeks. If there is any kind of punishment while potty training i feel that is wrong. Specially at that age. It is a good thing you talk to the director as being a Christian Facility I can't believe they are permitting that kind of behavior in the classroom. My son is 8 yrs old and still sometimes pees the bed. Guess what his punishment is??? He gets to put his sheet in the wash so I can wash it. lol!! Not a big deal we don't make a big deal. And that is the whole point...TO NOT MAKE A BIG DEAL. It's an accident. I don't think your daughter was trying to upset the teacher. I think it was the teacher getting up set and punishing her for having an accident.
Unregistered 07:01 PM 07-09-2011
Originally Posted by Heatherw711:
My child is 2 1/2 and she is potty training. She is almost fully there but still has a few accidents. She is in a 3K class at daycare since they considered her "accelerated" for her age. Her morning teacher told her that she better not potty in her pants for the rest of the day or she was going to be in trouble the next morning. My child tee teed in her pants after she left and the afternoon teacher left a note for the morning teacher. This morning when I was dropping my daughter off the morning teacher told my child that she was going to have to hold the fence while the other kids were playing on the playground. My question is how long is to long to punish a child or going potty in their pants. I told her teacher that I took care of it last night but she seemed adamant about her holding the fence. Should I talk to the director?
I did not read all the posts but here in MN you can not punish a child for toilet accidents. Period. I would remove your child from that daycare immediately. Being accelerated and being physically ready to control their urine/bowels is completely different. It is a learned skill and like other muscles needs to be worked for kids to understand how it works. Your daughter needs time to work that muscle and practice the feeling of holding it and releasing it. Find a new daycare today!
sharlan 01:59 PM 07-10-2011
No young child should be punished for having an accident. Yes, I did make my 3 yo wipe up the bathroom floor when he INTENTIONALLY peed in front of the toilet because I wouldn't give him anothe popsicle.

No child should have a punishment held over their heads overnight, or even hours.

Whatever needs to happen, needs to be taken care of then and there. The morning teacher has nothing to do with what happens in the afternoon.
CheekyChick 06:32 PM 07-10-2011
No child should EVER be punished for an accident, no matter what their age. That is so very wrong and I would probably pull my child from that daycare if they didn't change their policies.
Tags:punishment - age appropriate, punishment - toileting
Reply Up