Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling Overwhelmed...Maybe Too Many??
SunflowerMama 11:48 AM 10-28-2010
I just added my 8th kid on Monday a 12 month old. I've been feeling a bit more stressed on edge than usual for sure.

One day this week my only 2 dgbs (brothers) were out in the morning and I couldn't believe the difference. Things were so quiet and laid back. The kids didn't bicker as much and I was more calm and less stressed.

I'm really wondering if maybe I'm watching more than I can comfortably handle at once or if maybe the addition of the new baby has thrown the wrench in things. My nap time has been non-existent since she started and her and the other baby (15 months) have been fighting for my attention since she started.

I'm just feeling very overwhelmed throughout the day and I hate to feel like this.

It's almost Friday I guess .
kidkair 12:08 PM 10-28-2010
My guess is that it is the new kid. I get very stressed and overwhelmed if I loose my quiet time to sit and veg on the computer and since the new one has caused more chaos I'd blame the fact the kid is new. Give it some more time and the other kids will come around as will she.

When I added a 10 month old in the summer it was a crazy first couple weeks mainly because the 2 year old took to screaming his head off everytime he was in the room by himself or at the table with the other kids for food. It took a couple weeks before I sat the 2 yr old right next to me at the "big" table and let my husband feed the baby. After that the 2 yr old calmed down even during play times and the stress level in the daycare went down. Then school start and the SA was gone and the stress went even further down.

I have also learned that 6 is my sanity limit and I can only add one child every two months so I plan accordingly. Maybe your limit is 6 or 7 but I'd give it some more time before making any changes. If you have a two week trial period you may want to use your out. One way I decide if it's worth the stress keeping a new kid is counting smiles and stresses. I divide a piece a paper and mark the top smiles/stresses. I put tally marks under smiles everytime I find myself really enjoying the new kid and tally marks under stresses anytime I feel the new kid has caused an extra stress in my day. If the stress tallies are out numbering the smile tallies by the end of the first week I consider ending it but often the smiles are equalling and begin to out number the stresses in the second week. Good Luck and hang in there!
momofsix 12:31 PM 10-28-2010
Are you allowed to have 8 all by yourself? We can only have six, financially I would love to have eight-but it might be too much!
I think Kidkair has the right idea
WImom 12:57 PM 10-28-2010
We can have 8 here if all over two (Which is my age group) but I only go with 6 as my limit. In the summer with my own two is 8 and that is going to be hard enough.
SunflowerMama 01:05 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Are you allowed to have 8 all by yourself? We can only have six, financially I would love to have eight-but it might be too much!
I think Kidkair has the right idea
I'm licensed for 12 alone but would never have that many.
momofsix 11:08 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I'm licensed for 12 alone but would never have that many.
Wow! (picking my jaw up off the floor!) it's crazy the differences in regs from place to place!
momofboys 11:35 AM 10-29-2010
There is no way I could handle 12. I could not handle 8 either IMO. I just wonder how one provider can give the necessary attention to so many kids, unless they are all school-agers. If you think it is too much or are feeling overwhelmed my guess is you really should re-think your numbers. Good luck!
BentleysBands 11:38 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
There is no way I could handle 12. I could not handle 8 either IMO. I just wonder how one provider can give the necessary attention to so many kids, unless they are all school-agers. If you think it is too much or are feeling overwhelmed my guess is you really should re-think your numbers. Good luck!
wowzers , i could never do that many and give the best quality care. but thats me...i know my limit is 6 but only 1 baby...my head would blow off LOL

if the current fam is a good fit but you have a child u have been 'thinking' of terming , i would do that.
sahm2three 12:46 PM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I just added my 8th kid on Monday a 12 month old. I've been feeling a bit more stressed on edge than usual for sure.

One day this week my only 2 dgbs (brothers) were out in the morning and I couldn't believe the difference. Things were so quiet and laid back. The kids didn't bicker as much and I was more calm and less stressed.

I'm really wondering if maybe I'm watching more than I can comfortably handle at once or if maybe the addition of the new baby has thrown the wrench in things. My nap time has been non-existent since she started and her and the other baby (15 months) have been fighting for my attention since she started.

I'm just feeling very overwhelmed throughout the day and I hate to feel like this.

It's almost Friday I guess .
HUGS! It's FRIDAY!!!! I have 12 full timers but just downsized to 8. I think it will be MUCH more manageable. Don't let it go too long so you are so frazzled you can't stand it! But maybe it will just take a bit longer for everyone to get into a good routine? Hugs?!
DCMomOf3 01:12 PM 10-29-2010
Go with your gut. some can handle more than others. I prefer 6, 7 max. I would try to give the baby a chance, he's getting used to you as well as your getting to know him.
Tags:overwhelmed, tgif, too many infants
Reply Up