Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unregistered Question
kimsdaycare 11:43 AM 06-16-2011
Maybe I've missed it, but I was wondering why people are allowed to post as unregistered on here? I know it's nice to have the anonymous option for long time members when posting about touchy subjects, but there seem to be a lot of issues with it overall. It's not like a username is the same as giving out your real name, so why not make it a requirement to even post?

Not referring to any specific instance here. Just always wondered why as it does seem that a bit more venom is spewed when there is no name attached to the comments.

Am I the only one that tends to gloss over comments made by "unregistered" because I automatically expect it to be an attack on someone?
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 06-16-2011
This issue has been addresses several times. Here is one link that can provide some response; https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28090

If you use the search function you should be able to find a few more threads that address this topic.

I also agree that unregistered users can sometimes be the cause of heated debates, but it is also wise to remember that it takes more than one to argue.
dEHmom 12:01 PM 06-16-2011
i'm going to suggest this again, as i have in the past, and i hope michael is reading this.

many other forums i've been to, allow you to search through the topics, or if you google something the forums will come up. but you CANNOT post unless you are registered.

Having the option to be posting anonymous while being a registered member allows for the anonymity, but i think if you are not a registered member logged in or out, you shouldn't be able to post.

maybe michael can set up a poll on this.
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 06-16-2011
This is Michael's response to this issue copied from another thread,

"Daycare.com is a global brand and gets lots of traffic be it American or Nigerian. Many come here to learn, read or partake once or many times.

My position comes more from the visitor standpoint since many are either thinking about starting a daycare or are caregivers that are looking for a simple answer. I know that when I am searching or read something that I want to impart some information, if the program asks for me to register I usually don't. I would have virtually thousands of accounts, all which would have my email and contact information.

Many times when I have that thought/answer in my head about what I want to comment on, the process of registering takes me out of my mindset.

I've set up this forum for what I believe is best for its members, users and “drop ins”.

I appreciate your feedback but have make up my mind a long time ago on this matter.

I did create the Members Only Off Topic thread. There are even options with this program for pass worded threads and fee based threads.

Currently this forum is free, moderated, advertisement free and open to all but spammers.

I would like to thank all the moderators that take the time to clear out the spam and keep this forum organized. We have increased our posts and traffic by 400% in the last few months!

Michael
Admin"

His reasoning in this topic is very logical. The easiest way to deal with posters with who you do not agree with both registered and unregistered is to simply ignore them. It is that easy.
Crystal 12:16 PM 06-16-2011
I understand everyone's feelings on this, but I wonder why, after Michael has explained it NUMEROUS times that people continue to challenge his decision about it. He's been pretty clear about where he stands on it. No offense to anyone, I just wonder why....just don't read/respond to the unregistered posts.
daycare 12:17 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I understand everyone's feelings on this, but I wonder why, after Michael has explained it NUMEROUS times that people continue to challenge his decision about it. He's been pretty clear about where he stands on it. No offense to anyone, I just wonder why....just don't read/respond to the unregistered posts.
lol i just love the entertainment aspects of it......lol
makes for great reading......
Michael 12:22 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
lol i just love the entertainment aspects of it......lol
makes for great reading......
;>. So true. I've been fielding several question from members on this topic today. You can always PM me if you want to speak in private.
countrymom 01:39 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
i'm going to suggest this again, as i have in the past, and i hope michael is reading this.

many other forums i've been to, allow you to search through the topics, or if you google something the forums will come up. but you CANNOT post unless you are registered.

Having the option to be posting anonymous while being a registered member allows for the anonymity, but i think if you are not a registered member logged in or out, you shouldn't be able to post.

maybe michael can set up a poll on this.
your right, the parenting forum that I'm a mod on is doing this now. They found that there were way too many unreg. users reading the forums. So now when you google the site up you can only read the chatter part of the forum and you can't post in it, you can't read anything else. I think because daycare is a big thing, we need to start doing this.
dEHmom 02:13 PM 06-16-2011
Michael has explained to me his reasoning, and I can respect that. Although I think it looks negative for people coming to the site for the first time and seeing some of the stuff that's posted. People don't always read the entire thread, they take what they take and they leave. If it's a negative comment or bickering between the posters, then they think negatively.

I also understand that we are just as much to blame, and as registered regular posters, we need to learn to just ignore it. BUT it's not going to work if someone responds. WE ALL have to ignore it.
Auntie 02:17 PM 06-16-2011
Is there a button in our profile section that gives us an option to IGNORE unregistered posters so we don't even see them?
Michael 02:40 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Auntie:
Is there a button in our profile section that gives us an option to IGNORE unregistered posters so we don't even see them?
Good point, but you can only ignore Members. BTW, I DO delete unregistered comments I feel are unwarranted in their approach. Realize the posts on this forum are vetted.
kimsdaycare 02:41 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
Michael has explained to me his reasoning, and I can respect that. Although I think it looks negative for people coming to the site for the first time and seeing some of the stuff that's posted. People don't always read the entire thread, they take what they take and they leave. If it's a negative comment or bickering between the posters, then they think negatively.

I also understand that we are just as much to blame, and as registered regular posters, we need to learn to just ignore it. BUT it's not going to work if someone responds. WE ALL have to ignore it.
This is part of the reason I asked the question. I'm not new here, yet have very few posts. Why? I honestly sometimes fear posting here because of how some threads turn out, especially when an unregistered person decides to drop-in and verbally slap someone then run off when the thread dies down. I'm just amazed that there would be reason to want that here.

I apologize that this subject has been covered before and apparently so often that Michael is feeling repeatedly challenged on the stance he chosen. I agree that I can ignore the negatives, which I do. I guess I was trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist lol.

Geesh, now I'VE stirred up the natives around here. I'll hit the search bar first next time, get my facts straight and slap the duct tape over my fingers before they go clicking away
Michael 02:48 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by kimsdaycare:
This is part of the reason I asked the question. I'm not new here, yet have very few posts. Why? I honestly sometimes fear posting here because of how some threads turn out, especially when an unregistered person decides to drop-in and verbally slap someone then run off when the thread dies down. I'm just amazed that there would be reason to want that here.

I apologize that this subject has been covered before and apparently so often that Michael is feeling repeatedly challenged on the stance he chosen. I agree that I can ignore the negatives, which I do. I guess I was trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist lol.

Geesh, now I'VE stirred up the natives around here. I'll hit the search bar first next time, get my facts straight and slap the duct tape over my fingers before they go clicking away
Now, now. Do I have to bring up the "Forum Cycle" thread? Oh why not.....
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28305

If you don't like where a thread is going, PM me. I don't read every post and thread. I have to skim them. You can help me out my letting me know your feeling on a thread or issue. I promise, I will spend the time reading over a thread if it concerns you. We also have several moderators that you can reach out to.
dEHmom 02:52 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Now, now. Do I have to bring up the "Forum Cycle" thread? Oh why not.....
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28305

If you don't like where a thread is going, PM me. I don't read every post and thread. I have to skim them. You can help me out my letting me know your feeling on a thread or issue. I promise, I will spend the time reading over a thread if it concerns you. We also have several moderators that you can reach out to.
thanks Michael. I still feel so honored everytime my thread is pulled back up!
jen 02:54 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
For the same reason we continue to debate paid vacations and if parents should leave kids in daycare for the max time in order to get down time! LOL!!!!
Blackcat31 03:10 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
For the same reason we continue to debate paid vacations and if parents should leave kids in daycare for the max time in order to get down time! LOL!!!!
Good point Jen!!!

I also think that for as many negative and nasty posts from "unregistered", there are an equal number of legit questions/threads and responses posted from "unregistered" as well. I also think that a many of us members were lurkers and simply browsed this site as an "unregistered" for some time before jumping in and actually joining.

Many people like the drama of stiring the pot and making comments and we, as members are doing nothing but satisfying them when we respond and continue the argument. It is super hard to ignore when someone is being downright mean and rude but as child care providers, I think we sould be pretty good at overlooking tantrums and outbursts.

If necessary, we can all go over to the off-topic members only area and vent about an "unregistered" post. that way we can vent about it, support one another but NOT give them the ammo to continue....kwim? Maybe we can get Michael to give us an "Oh no, she didn't just say that did she?" members only area?
kimsdaycare 03:24 PM 06-16-2011
Omg that link is funny and so true. I just sent the parents home today with their monthly reminder that the moon is out, better not hit that family restaurant. Even my dog goes nutty on me this time of the month.

Michael, don't worry about getting any angry pms from me ill ignore the drama before ill add to it. I really l don't take these things that seriously. Sorry if I sounded that way.

I blame it on the moon
Michael 04:00 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by kimsdaycare:
Omg that link is funny and so true. I just sent the parents home today with their monthly reminder that the moon is out, better not hit that family restaurant. Even my dog goes nutty on me this time of the month.

Michael, don't worry about getting any angry pms from me ill ignore the drama before ill add to it. I really l don't take these things that seriously. Sorry if I sounded that way.

I blame it on the moon
haha, I'm here because I enjoy it and sometimes also enjoy the drama. I also take time in my day for my "other" sites: http://www.ccin.com/about.html

A different type of drama for Whisky lovers too: http://whisky.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2
MyAngels 04:10 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Good point Jen!!!

I also think that for as many negative and nasty posts from "unregistered", there are an equal number of legit questions/threads and responses posted from "unregistered" as well. I also think that a many of us members were lurkers and simply browsed this site as an "unregistered" for some time before jumping in and actually joining.

Many people like the drama of stiring the pot and making comments and we, as members are doing nothing but satisfying them when we respond and continue the argument. It is super hard to ignore when someone is being downright mean and rude but as child care providers, I think we sould be pretty good at overlooking tantrums and outbursts.

If necessary, we can all go over to the off-topic members only area and vent about an "unregistered" post. that way we can vent about it, support one another but NOT give them the ammo to continue....kwim? Maybe we can get Michael to give us an "Oh no, she didn't just say that did she?" members only area?
This is a really good idea. I know I have become very good about just not responding when something is said that hits me the wrong way , but it would be nice to be able to post about it elsewhere so as not to add fuel to the fire.
Michael 04:13 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
This is a really good idea. I know I have become very good about just not responding when something is said that hits me the wrong way , but it would be nice to be able to post about it elsewhere so as not to add fuel to the fire.
I ue to have just two main threads. One for Providers and one for Parents. We have several now and everyone seems to always post in the Providers area. There is an Off Topic Members Only thread. Make whatever title thread you want: https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
MyAngels 04:38 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
I ue to have just two main threads. One for Providers and one for Parents. We have several now and everyone seems to always post in the Providers area. There is an Off Topic Members Only thread. Make whatever title thread you want: https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
You definitely don't need to make up a new area just for this . Shoot, I have trouble remembering to check all of the new areas as it is.
PitterPatter 06:09 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is Michael's response to this issue copied from another thread,

"Daycare.com is a global brand and gets lots of traffic be it American or Nigerian. Many come here to learn, read or partake once or many times.

My position comes more from the visitor standpoint since many are either thinking about starting a daycare or are caregivers that are looking for a simple answer. I know that when I am searching or read something that I want to impart some information, if the program asks for me to register I usually don't. I would have virtually thousands of accounts, all which would have my email and contact information.

Many times when I have that thought/answer in my head about what I want to comment on, the process of registering takes me out of my mindset.

I've set up this forum for what I believe is best for its members, users and “drop ins”.

I appreciate your feedback but have make up my mind a long time ago on this matter.

I did create the Members Only Off Topic thread. There are even options with this program for pass worded threads and fee based threads.

Currently this forum is free, moderated, advertisement free and open to all but spammers.

I would like to thank all the moderators that take the time to clear out the spam and keep this forum organized. We have increased our posts and traffic by 400% in the last few months!

Michael
Admin"

His reasoning in this topic is very logical. The easiest way to deal with posters with who you do not agree with both registered and unregistered is to simply ignore them. It is that easy.
Sounds great to me. Maybe Michael can have this detailed at the top somehow so people wont ask over and over again. Like even as a beginning sticky thread maybe? If it is already there I give my apologies for msising it.
dEHmom 04:44 AM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
You definitely don't need to make up a new area just for this . Shoot, I have trouble remembering to check all of the new areas as it is.
just click new posts at the top. whatever posts you haven't read will come up.
Unregistered 10:30 AM 06-17-2011
I have a question for Michael that I think the other forum readers should be part of as well. Why is it ok for you to allow registered users to call others names on this forum, but when unregistered's post back defending themselves, you delete them? You allow your registered users to call others trolls, etc. They are downright mean almost 100% of the time. I read on this forum regularly and can and will provide backup where registered users are downright mean almost 100% of the time on the parent forum when parents post questions. Of course, parents are going to post unregistered! Why would they register? By registering, everyone on the forum can read all your previous posts and pretty much figure out who you are and where you live, which is not anonymous at all. And some of us like to be anonymous. I take HUGE offense that the users think all unregistered users stir the pot, etc. I personally think there needs to be moderation of the registered users posts more where they are screened and adhere to some sort of conduct rule - they are downright rude sometimes and nickpick parents posts and usually don't even answer parents questions, they just concentrate on picking on the parent's post.
jen 11:32 AM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a question for Michael that I think the other forum readers should be part of as well. Why is it ok for you to allow registered users to call others names on this forum, but when unregistered's post back defending themselves, you delete them? You allow your registered users to call others trolls, etc. They are downright mean almost 100% of the time. I read on this forum regularly and can and will provide backup where registered users are downright mean almost 100% of the time on the parent forum when parents post questions. Of course, parents are going to post unregistered! Why would they register? By registering, everyone on the forum can read all your previous posts and pretty much figure out who you are and where you live, which is not anonymous at all. And some of us like to be anonymous. I take HUGE offense that the users think all unregistered users stir the pot, etc. I personally think there needs to be moderation of the registered users posts more where they are screened and adhere to some sort of conduct rule - they are downright rude sometimes and nickpick parents posts and usually don't even answer parents questions, they just concentrate on picking on the parent's post.
Seriously, do you not see that as a two way street? I am constantly seeing unregistered posters rip on providers, yet NEVER offer the least bit of support when a parent does something ridiculous. If unregistered posters were being even handed in their posts there wouldn't be an issue. If a parent wants to come on the forum and constantly be rude and degrading without ever offering any positive feedback, you shouldn't expect any more than you are currently getting.
Blackcat31 11:40 AM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I surely hope you were not referring to my post because I did not say ALL users, I said many people....and I was talking about both unregistered users as well as members. I was also sticking up for unregistered posters by stating that many of them DO post great questions and answers.
Michael 12:06 PM 06-17-2011
@unregistered

Members are unmoderated and post freely. My suggestion to you; PM me if you have been offended (PS: you must be registered to use Private Messaging)

Conclusion: Membership has it's privileges
Tags:forum question, period, unregistered members
Reply Up