Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Children, Poverty and the Holidays
Sugar Magnolia 11:59 AM 12-02-2011
I recently read an article in the local paper that 1500+ children in our city are homeless. The next day I read how our city has one of the deepest gaps between the "haves" and the "have-nots" in our state and perhaps in the country. The official "average income" is $130,000 a year, BUT if you take out the investors and only count working people, it goes all the way down to under 30,000. I have a hard time digesting these stats, especially with the holidays approaching. These stats are directly reflected in the children I care for. We have some very wealthy families, and some very poor families on state assistance. I love them all equally. The "have-nots" will not be having a good Christmas. They need new clothes, food, and above all, toys. I can't afford to buy them gifts. Its crushing me. With the state of the economy in the country these days, charity has decreased and kids will suffer. Not just my students, all kids in need. Its so heartbreaking to see some kids with the absolute very BEST of everything and some with taped shoes and no jackets. This city is paradise, but for many, its just another sh***y day in paradise. The sense of helplessness is weighing heavy on me this year. Thanks for reading.
Ariana 02:15 PM 12-02-2011
Yes the discrepancy between the rich and the poor is slowly getting worse and worse. Hard working people are barely able to make ends meet
Meeko 07:58 PM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I recently read an article in the local paper that 1500+ children in our city are homeless. The next day I read how our city has one of the deepest gaps between the "haves" and the "have-nots" in our state and perhaps in the country. The official "average income" is $130,000 a year, BUT if you take out the investors and only count working people, it goes all the way down to under 30,000. I have a hard time digesting these stats, especially with the holidays approaching. These stats are directly reflected in the children I care for. We have some very wealthy families, and some very poor families on state assistance. I love them all equally. The "have-nots" will not be having a good Christmas. They need new clothes, food, and above all, toys. I can't afford to buy them gifts. Its crushing me. With the state of the economy in the country these days, charity has decreased and kids will suffer. Not just my students, all kids in need. Its so heartbreaking to see some kids with the absolute very BEST of everything and some with taped shoes and no jackets. This city is paradise, but for many, its just another sh***y day in paradise. The sense of helplessness is weighing heavy on me this year. Thanks for reading.
You are such a sweetheart. It's hard to see kids in need.

I must be very jaded recently. I need to watch some Christmas videos and find my Christmas spirit....

I had a day care mom boast to me last year that her kids "made out like bandits" at Christmas. She hit up Toys For Tots, Sub for Santa, United Way and just about every other charity and church group she could find. She was claiming as a poor single mother with three kids. The fact was the father of two of them lived with her and had a good job. They never married because it benefited them financially. I was so shocked and upset.

And since then I wonder how many kids are really in need and how many have parents who just figure other people can buy the gifts even though they could easily do it themselves. Makes me very sad to think that kids that REALLY need help may be turned away because freeloaders have already used up the resources. Grrr!
littlemommy 06:16 AM 12-05-2011
Sad, indeed. It's sad that so many people abuse the system when they don't need it. I've had several daycare families that have been this way, and they always seem to be so open about it! Then there are families who DO need it, but feel bad getting assistance so they don't.
lil angels 06:45 AM 12-05-2011
I had someone tell me that she went and got boot snow pants and hats and mits from a charity just because she didn't want to spend her own money on them.She was onother provider and her husband had a great job. It makes it really hard to donate to things like this when you know there are people out there that are cheating the system.
Sugar Magnolia 10:52 AM 12-05-2011
I've never met a parent who would scam a charity and brag about it.. Especially during the holidays. I've met plenty of parents who truly need it and are embarassed or ashamed to ask for it. Not all people who are needy are scammers or have huge senses of entitlement. On the FLIP side, I've come across many ultra-wealthy that will rub it in your face and smile about it, and teach their children to care more about "things" than than people. Sad. My son goes to a public school, one that is at least 80% wealthy students. They have school uniforms, and you'd think that would be a great equalizer. Wrong. The "haves" will constantly point out they have better shoes, jackets and lunch boxes than the "have-nots". My son came home upset one time because a little girl at aftercare was getting teased her parents are "poor" because she told them her new shoes came from Kmart. I just WISH during the holidays, the "haves" will show more charity, not less.
Tags:homeless, needy, poor
Reply Up