Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to End The Interview?
KEG123 01:30 PM 04-02-2013
So this never happens, but I have 3 interviews this week. Normally I fill up slowly. But I will have to only take 1 or 2 of these families based on the ages.

Family 1 will be part time 3 days a week. 19 month old.

Family 2 will be full time. 18 month old and 8 month old.

Family 3 will be part time. 5 days a week, 4 hours a day. 13 months old.

I can only have 3 kids under 2, and my daughter is almost 18 months old.

Given JUST this information, you can see I'd prefer to take family number 2. Coincidentally, they are also the family that interviews Friday. Meaning the other 2 families interview first.

Now, I don't want to give family 1&3 false hope. I think I should be honest, let them know I have other interviews and that full time families take precedence? Should I give family 2 a time frame? Like, let me know by XYZ date because I have others in line?
Evansmom 01:48 PM 04-02-2013
I think you can explain that you have other interviews and that's all you have to say. Tell the other families a date when you will have reached your decision and then after you interview the full time family you can make your decision. I mean, what if the full time family interviews horribly? You don't want to burn bridges with the other families.
AmyKidsCo 02:15 PM 04-02-2013
I'm upfront about full time taking precedence over part time, and would tell the families that. I would also let them know I had other interviews, and would let them know by a certain date.
KEG123 02:20 PM 04-02-2013
I agree on all the points above, which is why I have scheduled the other interviews anyways. Because, like you said, what if the full time family is just horrible?! Anyways, it seems like my thoughts were right about what you guys were thinking too...
daycarediva 03:27 PM 04-02-2013
As I end interviews, I hand them my business card and say "If you have any further questions, feel free to email me. I am conducting more interviews for the spaces available and will CALL and let you know by DATE and TIME. It was lovely meeting you and your family, thank you for your time."

I hate having to make the 'I have decided another family was a better fit at this time..." phone call. I always explain why (almost certainly FT over PT, sometimes age, sometimes not quite ready for my program but I would love to have them in the future, etc) and I offer them a place on my waiting list if they are interested in a future space.

I have 3 kids in care currently pulled from that waiting list and all three were interviews I turned down. Hey, ya never know!
KEG123 04:00 PM 04-02-2013
So assuming the FT family's interview goes well, what should I tell them? Should I tell them to let ME know if they'd like the spot? Like, "Please call before Monday the xyz date if you'd like the open spot... " or what? Just end it ike you said daycarediva? And then call them and tll them I'd love to have them enroll?
KEG123 04:11 PM 04-02-2013
And so since I have the interviews wed, thurs and fri, how long would be a good timeframe to give them? A week? A few days?
Evansmom 05:05 PM 04-02-2013
I like what daycarediva says. Just say nice to meet you, I am conducting other interviews the rest of this week and will make a decision by X day. Don't leave them hanging too long in case they have to look for other care. If it were me I would make a decision by Monday.

If you decide to go with the full timers just state that when you make the call to the other two. I always leave it as "can I put you on my wait list?" And they usually say yes. That way if the full time family falls through you can tell the others a spot came up, if you want to.
Tags:interview - how to end it, interview - ideas
Reply Up