Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh!! Shingles!
jessrlee 11:06 AM 05-16-2013
So my assistant just called.... what we thought were spider bites on her forehead is shingles! She has been here 3 days with them!! I am calling all of the parents and getting ready to bleach the daycare. Any advice?
Cradle2crayons 11:09 AM 05-16-2013
Take a breath....

http://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/co...fact_sheet.htm
rmc20021 11:18 AM 05-16-2013
I had interanal shingles....the pain was the most horrific I've EVER felt, and I've given birth to 6 very healthy babies (including a 12 pounder) and had multiple surgeries.

Hope she feels better soon...but I'm not sure that it's contagious, especially for children.
canadiancare 11:24 AM 05-16-2013
You and the kids will be fine. If they haven't had chicken pox or the vaccine maybe they'll catch that but shingles themselves aren't contagious. She is probably in a fair amount of pain, though. Oldest son had it when he was 12 and he was hurting.
Oneluckymom 11:48 AM 05-16-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
You and the kids will be fine. If they haven't had chicken pox or the vaccine maybe they'll catch that but shingles themselves aren't contagious. She is probably in a fair amount of pain, though. Oldest son had it when he was 12 and he was hurting.
Exactly. I have heard it is excruciating.
itlw8 11:54 AM 05-16-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
So my assistant just called.... what we thought were spider bites on her forehead is shingles! She has been here 3 days with them!! I am calling all of the parents and getting ready to bleach the daycare. Any advice?
You can not tell the parents about her medical condition. It violates her privacy. the only children that would need to worry is an unvaccinated child. and then it is just wait and see. She would have had to had open sores that come in contact with the unvaccinated child from what I read.
jessrlee 12:32 PM 05-16-2013
I can tell the families their child has been exposed to the chickenpox virus, just not who did the exposing. I feel the families have the right to know. I would be livid if someone didn't tell me. It's pretty obvious that my assistant isn't here.

FWIW. We feel VERY badly for her. Hubs took her a week's worth of frozen casseroles for her family and we are still giving her 1/2 pay. I'm not heartless, I just need to know what I need to do to limit exposure.
mema 12:42 PM 05-16-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
I can tell the families their child has been exposed to the chickenpox virus, just not who did the exposing. I feel the families have the right to know. I would be livid if someone didn't tell me. It's pretty obvious that my assistant isn't here.

FWIW. We feel VERY badly for her. Hubs took her a week's worth of frozen casseroles for her family and we are still giving her 1/2 pay. I'm not heartless, I just need to know what I need to do to limit exposure.
That was nice to bring her some meals! Hope she feels better soon!

I would let them know of exposure, but not from whom. Obviously if she is there a lot, they will figure it out, but I wouldn't be the one saying names.
Reply Up