Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outdoor Playtime In The Winter
Neekie 11:55 AM 10-21-2013
For those of you who live in areas where there is quite a bit of cold weather and snow in the winter, do you take your dcks outside to play everyday? If you do how do you fit outdoor play time into your already busy schedule when it takes so long to get dressed and undressed to go outside? What time of day do you go outside and how long do you usually stay out? What do you do with infants and toddlers? How do you play in the snow with the kids if you have infants who can't even walk yet or toddlers that can't make it through the snow? I know that I asked a lot of questions. Sorry! I am just really struggling with trying to fit in outdoor play everyday in the winter and still get everything else done that needs to be done. I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me.
Michael 12:12 PM 10-21-2013
Some more helpful threads on Outside Winter Activities https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...de+play+winter
Neekie 12:16 PM 10-21-2013
Thanks Michael!
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by Neekie:
For those of you who live in areas where there is quite a bit of cold weather and snow in the winter, do you take your dcks outside to play everyday? If you do how do you fit outdoor play time into your already busy schedule when it takes so long to get dressed and undressed to go outside? What time of day do you go outside and how long do you usually stay out? What do you do with infants and toddlers? How do you play in the snow with the kids if you have infants who can't even walk yet or toddlers that can't make it through the snow? I know that I asked a lot of questions. Sorry! I am just really struggling with trying to fit in outdoor play everyday in the winter and still get everything else done that needs to be done. I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me.
I don't take infants but when I did, I just bundled them up and took them outside with us.

As far as the other kids go, they all know how to dress themselves for the most part.

I will zip, snap, tuck and button for them but they know how to get 90% of their winter gear on.

We dress as a group and it goes something like this:....
"Everyone put their snow pants on!"
"Okay, now your boots"
"Now do your jackets and hats"

Then I come along and button them all up.

We go outside in the mornings for atleast 30 minutes and then again in the afternoon for another 30 minutes...longer if the weather is nice.

My DH keeps the snow piled high for sliding and climbing and he snowblows paths around the yard for the kids to play in.

Living where I live, most my kids are pretty skilled at outdoor play in the winter pretty early on.

All my kiddos played outside this morning for almost an hour....we got lots of snow last night and it is still falling.
dingledine 12:40 PM 10-21-2013
I put my littles in strollers, until they can walk well enough, when it is cold/wet/miserable, and I kept them near me, mostly under the patio. I am in Seattle area. The part I disliked the most, is getting them all, and the other kids... bundled up. Then the big girls crying about how cold they are, etc. I think I need to have extra dry gloves on hand. It gets about 45 here, and wet, so their gloves get cold and wet. No fun.
Play Care 01:00 PM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't take infants but when I did, I just bundled them up and took them outside with us.

As far as the other kids go, they all know how to dress themselves for the most part.

I will zip, snap, tuck and button for them but they know how to get 90% of their winter gear on.

We dress as a group and it goes something like this:....
"Everyone put their snow pants on!"
"Okay, now your boots"
"Now do your jackets and hats"

Then I come along and button them all up.

We go outside in the mornings for atleast 30 minutes and then again in the afternoon for another 30 minutes...longer if the weather is nice.

My DH keeps the snow piled high for sliding and climbing and he snowblows paths around the yard for the kids to play in.

Living where I live, most my kids are pretty skilled at outdoor play in the winter pretty early on.

All my kiddos played outside this morning for almost an hour....we got lots of snow last night and it is still falling.

This. Except it has not snowed here yet
grandmom 02:43 PM 10-21-2013
In Washington we are required to go outside every day for a minimum of 30 minutes, unless it's 20 or below. Seriously.

But what if the parents don't want the child outside when it's that cold? We were told, it was our job to educate the parents.

But what if the parents don't bring coats or hats? We were reminded of the 20 minute requirement every day.

Some areas of Washington get very cold, for months at a time.

Ugh.
LK5kids 03:46 PM 10-21-2013
I must go out 1 degree or warmer if I have all 2 yr olds and up. I must go out 20 degrees or up if I have infants and in the mix. I have a really young group and I do not do snow suits. Everyone will have to have boots, hats, mittens, etc. and we will take a walk around the block. Totally allowed.

If we don't have tons of snow we will play in the back yard too.
dingledine 04:04 PM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by grandmom:
In Washington we are required to go outside every day for a minimum of 30 minutes, unless it's 20 or below. Seriously.

But what if the parents don't want the child outside when it's that cold? We were told, it was our job to educate the parents.

But what if the parents don't bring coats or hats? We were reminded of the 20 minute requirement every day.

Some areas of Washington get very cold, for months at a time.

Ugh.
Yes, I am in Seattle area... it blows, kids wet hands, wet mittens, and now with the Early Achievers it is one hour or more.....................
Neekie 04:02 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I must go out 1 degree or warmer if I have all 2 yr olds and up. I must go out 20 degrees or up if I have infants and in the mix. I have a really young group and I do not do snow suits. Everyone will have to have boots, hats, mittens, etc. and we will take a walk around the block. Totally allowed.

If we don't have tons of snow we will play in the back yard too.
Very helpful information. I am really confused because my licenser says that I need to take the older kids out even if it is too cold for the kids under two. When I asked her how I am supposed to do that, she said I could either let the older kids including my two year old go outside by themselves or leave the little ones indoors by themselves and just take a monitor out with me. Now I never have done that and I refuse to start doing that now. I am uncomfortable with that especially since my day care is on the second floor. I am sure I would have injuries and angry parents and then I would be in trouble cause somebody got hurt on my watch. I would probably be written up for lack of supervision by licensing and sued by the parents. No thank you! What you say makes a lot of sense and that is what I am going to do. If it's legal for you than it's legal for me cause I think we are both in the same state.

What do you do when walking with non walking children though and the sidewalks are covered with ice and snow and you can't push a stroller through it? I have thought of getting a jogging stroller, but my husband said NO!
Familycare71 04:11 AM 10-23-2013
Very helpful information. I am really confused because my licenser says that I need to take the older kids out even if it is too cold for the kids under two. When I asked her how I am supposed to do that, she said I could either let the older kids including my two year old go outside by themselves or leave the little ones indoors by themselves and just take a monitor out with me. Now I never have done that and I refuse to start doing that now. I am uncomfortable with that especially since my day care is on the second floor. I am sure I would have injuries and angry parents and then I would be in trouble cause somebody got hurt on my watch. I would probably be written up for lack of supervision by licensing and sued by the parents. No thank you! What you say makes a lot of sense and that is what I am going to do. If it's legal for you than it's legal for me cause I think we are both in the same state.

What do you do when walking with non walking children though and the sidewalks are covered with ice and snow and you can't push a stroller through it? I have thought of getting a jogging stroller, but my husband said NO!
She told you to leave awake children alone in your house!?!? Or let a 2 year outside alone!?!? That is insane!!!!
MamaBearCanada 04:42 AM 10-23-2013

You could use a sled or some wagons come with skis you can switch out with wheels. Some people use baby carriers but i worry about slipping myself and falling with a baby. I have also taken an exersaucer outside with a tarp under it for my own non- walking child to play in or an empty plastic sandbox.
Cradle2crayons 05:27 AM 10-23-2013
Another reason I'm glad I'm legally unlicensed.

I determine when it's too cold for the kids to go outside, not the state.

I require parents bring the one piece snow suit type outfit to leave here forth very cold days. Or coveralls, whichever they prefer.

They also come in coats and shoes so if its not as cold, we use that. I also require hats.

I may be in the south but we have brutal winters also. Mainly due to the humidity. Yes, it does snow here, but mostly it ices a lot.
SilverSabre25 05:49 AM 10-23-2013
Yeah...it snowed in central OH this morning. More like rain-slush-snow-mess. But there is a light coating of snow on flat things.

I'm not going outside today because of COURSE dcb's did NOT come with proper stuff and I haven't sent home my note about proper stuff yet.

Tomorrow night I will hand dcm a letter that explains that for cold weather I need:
Snowpants
Boots
GOOD mittens (waterproof ones, NOT thin stupid ones)
a Hat
a pair of socks

TO BE LEFT HERE. And That is the part that my dcparents usually don't get. They bring stuff and then want to take it home when there is snow on the ground. Then they never bring it back. So I'm not okay with that anymore.

And if she doesn't want to buy the stuff herself, she can pay me $30 PER KID and I'll get it all myself.
LK5kids 06:01 AM 10-23-2013

I pm'd you. As far as non-walking I will still use the stroller. My neighbors keep their walks really clear. I will only have one non-walker. I also have a wagon with a seat belt. It's easier to pull than push! I do think it could get tough, as sometimes my backyard is all ice and dangerous! It was last year. My licensor told me just take them out and walk around the house. That would be fine.
SSWonders 06:20 AM 10-23-2013
Very helpful information. I am really confused because my licenser says that I need to take the older kids out even if it is too cold for the kids under two. When I asked her how I am supposed to do that, she said I could either let the older kids including my two year old go outside by themselves or leave the little ones indoors by themselves and just take a monitor out with me.

That's crazy!!! Neither one is a safe situation! We have to be with the kids at all times. None can be left alone unless they are school age. Eegads!
Neekie 11:06 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
She told you to leave awake children alone in your house!?!? Or let a 2 year outside alone!?!? That is insane!!!!
Yes, this is what I was told. Wisconsin law says that the kids have to be within sight or sound at all times. Well, if I let all my kids ages two and up go outside alone, I would not be in either sight or sound. The storms are on our windows now and so I can't open windows to hear them and I can't see all areas of my playground from the windows. And usually in the winter the windows frost up and I can't see out of them at all. And my day care is on the second floor. I do not have easy access to them if something should happen out there. And even if they were to play nice and safe, I would worry about them being abducted or something. We live in the middle of a city and not in the best of neighborhoods. It is safe for the most part, but we have had stuff happening on our street. And leaving the toddlers inside alone would not be a good idea either even if they are sleeping and even if I have a monitor with me. Stuff just happens to fast for me not to be able to get to them in a split second. And what if there is a fire and the toddlers are inside on the second floor alone. There is absolutely no way that I will ever leave these kids all by themselves.
Neekie 11:10 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I pm'd you. As far as non-walking I will still use the stroller. My neighbors keep their walks really clear. I will only have one non-walker. I also have a wagon with a seat belt. It's easier to pull than push! I do think it could get tough, as sometimes my backyard is all ice and dangerous! It was last year. My licensor told me just take them out and walk around the house. That would be fine.
LSKids, I can't seem to find your private message. I don't know if it didn't go through or what happened.
Neekie 11:11 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by SSWonders:

That's crazy!!! Neither one is a safe situation! We have to be with the kids at all times. None can be left alone unless they are school age. Eegads!
I agree!
Neekie 11:14 AM 10-23-2013
Thank you everyone for your answers. You each had something to say that was helpful to me in this situation. I appreciate it and I am going to try your ideas. And Micheal, I read the other threads that you sent me and I got many helpful thoughts and ideas from them also. Than you again!
Lavender 11:21 AM 10-23-2013
I live in the Buffalo area and my kids are mobile infants (about 8-18 months). I will NOT be taking them out when the weather is cold enough to require serious bundling. My outside time is the first of the day and I don't have any time after breakfast/clean-up/diapers are all done to be bundling 8 infants and still make it out early enough to do much of anything before the next group goes outside.
Neekie 11:38 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by Lavender:
I live in the Buffalo area and my kids are mobile infants (about 8-18 months). I will NOT be taking them out when the weather is cold enough to require serious bundling. My outside time is the first of the day and I don't have any time after breakfast/clean-up/diapers are all done to be bundling 8 infants and still make it out early enough to do much of anything before the next group goes outside.
This is my problem too...finding enough time with all the other things that I have to do in a day. And then after we get everyone all bundled up, somebody poops!
Neekie 11:41 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by Lavender:
This is my problem too...finding enough time with everything that I have to do in a day. And then when we get everybody all bundled up, somebody poops!!

Oops! Sorry! This one posted double.
Tags:outside play winter
Reply Up