Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Loss of Privileges?
CraftyMom 09:54 AM 09-10-2014
What do you consider loss of privileges?

When a child is misbehaving and you want to take away a privilege, what do you take away?

I don't use technology here, so I cant take away computer time or tv time or anything similar (aside from occasional tv time, but not on a daily basis)

Sometimes I'm at a loss with this, especially when the child says "they don't care" if they don't do art, or play a fun game, or use play doh, etc
Leigh 09:58 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
What do you consider loss of privileges?

When a child is misbehaving and you want to take away a privilege, what do you take away?

I don't use technology here, so I cant take away computer time or tv time or anything similar (aside from occasional tv time, but not on a daily basis)

Sometimes I'm at a loss with this, especially when the child says "they don't care" if they don't do art, or play a fun game, or use play doh, etc
You need to find each child's currency. I had one kid where outside time was the only thing he cared about. I HATE the idea of taking away outside time (especially when it helps naughty kids release some energy), but sometimes I had to use it. He would sit on the steps and watch the other kids play when he lost his privilege. Another kid might be a specific toy, another may be art time...you just have to figure out what THAT kid will be motivated by.
Blackcat31 09:59 AM 09-10-2014
Big kid toys, first choice on afternoon center activities, or limiting center activities, markers or glue (my littles don't have free access to those things as those are privileges), paper paged books, small Legos and stuff like that.
Unregistered 10:00 AM 09-10-2014
I find that only works for children over the age of five because like they said, they don't really care so it's ineffective. Now if you are mistreating my books or toys I will give a reminder and then take it away. If you intentionally rip my books you are done for the day, try again tomorrow.You intentionally break my toy, oh well then you've shown me you don't know how to properly play.Let's start over with the baby toys.lol
I don't exclude for anything either, maybe for a minute but always give them a chance to rejoin once they get it together. Remember you are teaching them, there's a difference between discipline, punishment and natural consequences
Blackcat31 10:00 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
You need to find each child's currency. I had one kid where outside time was the only thing he cared about. I HATE the idea of taking away outside time (especially when it helps naughty kids release some energy), but sometimes I had to use it. He would sit on the steps and watch the other kids play when he lost his privilege. Another kid might be a specific toy, another may be art time...you just have to figure out what THAT kid will be motivated by.
Every child has currency.
spinnymarie 11:38 AM 09-10-2014
Everything is a privilege
But, as someone else said, it depends on the child and the problem.
Privileges here include: choosing what/where/when/how/who you play with, choosing to do or not do activities, choosing who you sit by/where you sit at lunch, etc etc etc.
Having a choice is a privilege, and I ill take it away/limit as needed.
If you are choosing not to do our art activity, I will choose what you do instead. If you are choosing not to use the play-do correctly, I will choose what you do instead. If you are choosing to be rough with my toys, I will choose for you to play with this one certain toy that cannot be broken. If you are choosing to fight over a toy, I will choose for you to play somewhere else by yourself for a few minutes.
BrooklynM 11:59 AM 09-10-2014
What child are you talking about yours or a DCK? What is their age? Every child does have a currency but you have to also realize that toddlers for example have a short memory. If someone is acting out and they lose a privilege of say the car they like to ride on, I usually give it back to them after the next sleeping cycle whether it be a nap or the next day, but I remind them of the rules. Example- remember, when you are riding in the car (the Little Tikes ones), you need to exit through the door, not the side of the car, or you can tip the car over and hurt yourself, your friends or the car. Remember what happened last time?

Again, it depends on the age they are...
AmyKidsCo 07:13 PM 09-10-2014
DCK or your own?

I generally don't have much of a problem with DCK, but if it's something repeated or if it's hurting another child I'll separate the child from the group - have him/her play in another room or do puzzles at the table next to me.

My own boys... Murder isn't an option? They lose screen time - that hurts! I generally start with iPod/iPad time, then TV, then take away their DSs. Sometimes they lose Grandma Day (they go to my mom's every Friday afternoon). We usually don't have to go past that.
CraftyMom 06:41 AM 09-11-2014
Thanks for the responses! I'll try your suggestions

Both, my son 3 and the dck's who are 2.5 and under.

They all seem to be like "yeah ok, no big deal I'll play with something else" when I take something away. For example two 2yo dcg are always arguing over "the blue princess" so after trying to tell them the other princesses are just as fun I ended up telling them that neither of them can play with the blue one that day. They didn't seem to mind and suddenly the other princesses were more appealing...until I gave them back the blue one the next day, then it started all over Maybe the blue one needs to be gone longer

My son is a different story, I'm not sure if he is just in a defiant stage or what, but he just wants to do the opposite of what I say.
Reply Up