Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare is So Cut Throat!
MamaG2903 02:19 PM 05-23-2019
I just gave notice to a mom with 2 high maintenance kids last week. Today, I'm given notice by a teacher mom because of my chronic illness. I have Fibromyalgia and I'm pretty candid about my struggles, because I'm just not one of those "everything is perfect" kind of people. I think I've closed like twice in the last year, and it was due to emergency gallbladder surgery, which I was supposed to take a week off for but had surgery and was back to work 2 days later. WELL, now I can add "fired because I have a chronic illness" to my resume 🙄 man, daycare is such a cut throat business and the parents can be so fickle. Kudos to all of you who have hung in there for so long... I feel like my time is dwindling. I just don't have the energy and patience for the parents, anymore.
CountryRoads 02:28 PM 05-23-2019
That's not fair! As if you can help it??

I always wonder if I'm cut out to do this job. Hopefully I don't have to do it forever.

I've noticed that parents (not all) can be selfish and have unrealistic expectations.

Maybe it's a good thing she left if that's her attitude about it.
MamaG2903 02:43 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
That's not fair! As if you can help it??

I always wonder if I'm cut out to do this job. Hopefully I don't have to do it forever.

I've noticed that parents (not all) can be selfish and have unrealistic expectations.

Maybe it's a good thing she left if that's her attitude about it.
It's weird, when I would lose a kid I would SOB. Now I'm just like meh, okay. It seems like parents want the daycare center experience of being open 24/7 and having substitutes but want to pay the in-home price... And then complain about THAT and then complain over the lack of daycare available. It's just crazy and like you said, the unrealistic expectations are crazy. This leaves me with one toddler and 2 before and after school kids. Kudos to those carrying the big licenses and dealing with this from multiple parents!! I've had this little one since she was 9 months old and she's 26 months now. It sucks!
Blackcat31 02:46 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by MamaG2903:
I just gave notice to a mom with 2 high maintenance kids last week. Today, I'm given notice by a teacher mom because of my chronic illness. I have Fibromyalgia and I'm pretty candid about my struggles, because I'm just not one of those "everything is perfect" kind of people. I think I've closed like twice in the last year, and it was due to emergency gallbladder surgery, which I was supposed to take a week off for but had surgery and was back to work 2 days later. WELL, now I can add "fired because I have a chronic illness" to my resume 🙄 man, daycare is such a cut throat business and the parents can be so fickle. Kudos to all of you who have hung in there for so long... I feel like my time is dwindling. I just don't have the energy and patience for the parents, anymore.
Hmm, teacher parent... so close to school being out for the summer....

Are you sure it's because of you/your chronic illness or was that just a convenient excuse for her so she can have the summer off without having to pay?

*lol! You can tell I've been in this field for a while now...I am so jaded about these types of things.
MamaG2903 02:48 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Hmm, teacher parent... so close to school being out for the summer....

Are you sure it's because of you/your chronic illness or was that just a convenient excuse for her so she can have the summer off without having to pay?

*lol! You can tell I've been in this field for a while now...I am so jaded about these types of things.
Haha no, I don't make her pay for the summer. Good luck finding someone else who will give you that sweet deal, lady!
Cat Herder 03:01 PM 05-23-2019
I hide my illness for the very same reasons. Very few people are aware of anything. Even in my former career, I had to hide it or risk being passed over for promotion.

It is the nature of the workforce.
MamaG2903 03:32 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I hide my illness for the very same reasons. Very few people are aware of anything. Even in my former career, I had to hide it or risk being passed over for promotion.

It is the nature of the workforce.
Yep, I'm learning that! I made the decision to be open and candid about my illness/injuries because so many people feel that can't, and Fibromyalgia is so misunderstood. Joke's on me!
springv 04:10 PM 05-23-2019
I work in a center and we have been looking at classes for the upcoming summer because we take 6 weeks up to 12 years old and our one class which is 1.5-2 year old is only going to have 4 children in it because we have one mom having a baby and the sibling to the new baby is staying home with her until the she goes back to work, sibling set that isn't coming back until fall, one worker that is on maternity leave until june possibly. In our older class, we have 1 child going to the pre k program at our local school, two children going to kindergarten and several of school agers not coming back until fall. Had 1 parent pull her children because she doesn't work and the older child was going to big school
amberrose3dg 04:05 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by MamaG2903:
Haha no, I don't make her pay for the summer. Good luck finding someone else who will give you that sweet deal, lady!
I had one like that. They serial daycare hop and its not good for their kids. You will find a better family to deal with.
Tags:chronic - illness, daycare experiences, daycare stories, fibromyalgia, illness, pain
Reply Up