Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do I do... if Anything
Ac114 11:27 AM 07-24-2019
This is kind of a vent, kind of needing advice and a lot of just face palming myself.

7:05 into the day and I had a DCM drop off. backstory, she’s a hot mess in every way. Single parent, no filter around her child, bad mouths dad and then repeated by child, puts every Tom dick and Harry before her child and the list goes on. Her daughter is sweet and needs a ton of positive influence and guidance which is why I continue to care DCG.
DCD pulls into my driveway this morning and mom was texting as she was backing out, not paying attention at all, floors the car and slams right into dad in my driveway! So hard that his door was so dented in that he couldn’t even open his door. And she literally said “I’m sorry, I was texting and not paying attention.” I’m just so dumb founded.
I feel guilty and awful because this happened on my property. They exchanged information. She left and my husband talked to DCD and helped him calm down before he left to go to work. I’ve talked to DCD and his wife and apologized profusely. I know it’s not my fault but I feel really bad about the situation. So now I don’t know what to do about DCM, if anything. So do I term her? (She hasn’t technically broken any policies) do I give her a warning? Do I just let them figure it out between them 2 and stay neutral? There are so many scenarios that I have come across in the last 2 years of doing childcare that I would have never thought I would come across. This job and the parents seriously stress me out.
Cat Herder 11:33 AM 07-24-2019
I had this happen many years ago. It was deemed the fault of the car pulling in.

I put in my policy that if another parent is in the driveway, arriving parents are required to continue down the cul-de-sac to turn around and wait. It also helps with confidentiality and reducing backover risk to children. We know how well some supervise on the way to the car.

I'd recommend letting them work it out. You are not at fault.
Mom2Two 11:54 AM 07-24-2019
I agree, let them work it out.

Sorry about the stress though!
AmyKidsCo 01:33 PM 07-24-2019
Once a parent forgot to put her car in Park and it idled forward into our van, causing damage. Luckily it was our vehicle and no one was hurt. I added a policy asking parents to turn off their cars during drop off and pick up, but it's not anything I'm going to police.

I'd let them work it out. It wasn't your fault in any way, so don't feel guilty about it either.
MomBoss 01:35 PM 07-24-2019
This is why im thinking about adding in a rule that says no parking in the driveway..
boy_mom 07:22 PM 07-24-2019
While I agree, let the two parents figure it out, could you imagine if she hit them walking through the driveway???

Texting and driving is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. If I am being honest, I'd term her for being so irresponsible and careless behind the wheel. I would tell her flat out how lucky she is that she didn't hurt someone, but unfortunately it is too close of a call for me, so out you go!
Josiegirl 03:15 AM 07-25-2019
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
While I agree, let the two parents figure it out, could you imagine if she hit them walking through the driveway???

Texting and driving is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. If I am being honest, I'd term her for being so irresponsible and careless behind the wheel. I would tell her flat out how lucky she is that she didn't hurt someone, but unfortunately it is too close of a call for me, so out you go!
I'm not sure that I'd let her go but I'd definitely get on her case about texting and driving, even in a driveway!! When you're behind the wheel of a car and it's moving anywhere, you need to pay attention. Maybe set up a rule about no cellphone use anywhere on your property? It's such a stupid thing for people to do and has caused more than a death or two. That said, I'd let them haggle out the problem together and not get in the middle. If you want to protect yourself even further maybe write up a statement of what the cause was through no fault of yours, then have them both sign it? Did the police come? If so, can you get a statement signed from them or anything? (I don't know how these things work but can only picture some people trying to pin the blame on someone else ya know?)
lovemykidstoo 10:57 AM 07-25-2019
Absolutely I would put my foot down about phone usage and texting in the driveway. She could have killed a child instead of hitting a car.
knoxmomof2 11:23 AM 07-25-2019
I think you should let them work it out on their own in regards to the incident. I understand you feeling responsible, but you're not. Don't ask about it, that only makes you appear to be an involved party when you're not.

I once had a DCP leave here and get hit at the intersection 1 house down from me. Someone ran the stop sign. Coincidentally, the same lady got rear ended twice coming off the intestate exit she takes to get to my house from work! Again, not my fault. Felt bad, but I'm here to watch their child, not be concerned with what happens outside my house.

I would term her, personally. It sounds like there are enough annoying issues already, and now she's proven to be a risk to others. Only you know how badly you want to keep DCG vs how unsafe you feel about keeping her as a client....

I don't typically have clients park behind each other. If someone is in the drive, others will park on the street. They've just always done that. You might consider making a policy about only 1 vehicle in the drive at a time and remind parents in your handbook or during the interview that there will be other families coming and going so please be watchful and aware while on your property, but that's the extent of how I would handle it.
Ac114 03:11 PM 07-25-2019
So the mom and dad seemed to have worked it out. It has t been brought up since the accident. Coincidentally, mom has not done any drop offs or picks ups. I think out of fear of what I might say. I will have a face to face conversation about cell phone usage in my drive way. We live on a country rd so you must pull in (no parking on the street) and people fly down this road to begin with. My fear is her hitting a child or even another person, period, due to her negligence.
HHangout 06:32 PM 07-31-2019
I would post a nice, big no texting and driving sign on your door or garage.

"Children may be entering or exiting a car, texting and driving prohobited on property. Car must be fully off when not in vehicle."
Tags:backover death, car accident, confidentiality, driveway issues
Reply Up