Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Rules For The Kids have Been a Success
originalkat 04:48 PM 08-11-2010
I have been searching for some little rules to teach the kids that we could rehearse throughout the day or as situations arose. I wanted to replace their STOP! QUIT! SCREAM! YELL! with something more productive. So I found these:
Looking Eyes
Listening Ears
Helping Hands
Walking Feet
Quiet Voices or (Inside Voices if you prefer)

I started using these terms A LOT since monday. I have already heard the kids (AND ME) using these instead of more negative terms(even without me reminding them). I absolutely love the results I am having. We use gestures for each one as we say them as well.

Just wanted to share
Michael 04:54 PM 08-11-2010
Be a nice friend to me
Be a nice friend to all the children
Hands are for hleping and not for hurting
Teamwork
Respect yourself
Respect all others
Respect the enviornment (of the classroom) and all things in it.
Momof2Boys 05:34 PM 08-11-2010
This is a great idea! I really like these "rules" Do you have them displayed somewhere? Do you have pictures associated with them?
originalkat 05:57 PM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by Momof2Boys:
This is a great idea! I really like these "rules" Do you have them displayed somewhere? Do you have pictures associated with them?
I used clipart for each one and made a little poster. I tried to attach it but for some reason it says invalid file.
SunflowerMama 06:02 PM 08-11-2010
Totally stealing these rules too. Can't wait to see pictures. Do you have them posted all together or seperate throughout the daycare area?
originalkat 06:27 PM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
Totally stealing these rules too. Can't wait to see pictures. Do you have them posted all together or seperate throughout the daycare area?
I have them all on one small home-made poster in the circle time area.
Momof2Boys 06:32 PM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I used clipart for each one and made a little poster. I tried to attach it but for some reason it says invalid file.
That's a bummer
Rachel 09:45 PM 08-11-2010
I love your rules! I think I might be stealing it too.
Abigail 12:29 AM 08-12-2010
One thing I always try to stay away from is saying "NO" to everything. I notice a lot of parents instantly yell NO at anything they don't want their child to be doing. Instead, I try to reinforce positive solutions to flip the situation around.....this changes the children's attitudes and then all the new-talking babies don't start shouting NO at everything either. LOL

Examples:
No standing on the furniture..........Furniture is for sitting
No running.....Please walk

I had tons of other good ones, I just can't think of it. Really, it's just trying to avoid the NO or DON'T phrases.
Momof2Boys 05:20 AM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
One thing I always try to stay away from is saying "NO" to everything. I notice a lot of parents instantly yell NO at anything they don't want their child to be doing. Instead, I try to reinforce positive solutions to flip the situation around.....this changes the children's attitudes and then all the new-talking babies don't start shouting NO at everything either. LOL

Examples:

I had tons of other good ones, I just can't think of it. Really, it's just trying to avoid the NO or DON'T phrases.
I need to remember this for my own 3 year old. He seems to have tuned out these words and they don't seem to have much meaning to him anymore...
originalkat 06:20 AM 08-12-2010

Examples:

Yes, it is easy to fall into the NO, Dont, Quit!! trap isn't it? I am just so pleased with how the kids have responded to this positive reminders/rules.
WImom 07:29 AM 08-12-2010
I was just working on a rules chart and found a link to somone else that has a rule board like the OP (Figured it would help since she can't post a picture)

http://www.pre-kpages.com/discipline/

On a side note I love this website (Linked above). I've gotten tons of ideas from it.
misol 07:39 AM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by WImom:
I was just working on a rules chart and found a link to somone else that has a rule board like the OP (Figured it would help since she can't post a picture)

On a side note I love this website (Linked above). I've gotten tons of ideas from it.
Thanks. I just skimmed through and this looks like a great site. When I get more time I will go through it more thoroughly. In the meantime, I am making a sign and gathering items for my Safe Spot!
MarinaVanessa 10:02 AM 08-12-2010
I have been searching for some little rules to teach the kids that we could rehearse throughout the day or as situations arose. I wanted to replace their STOP! QUIT! SCREAM! YELL! with something more productive. So I found these:
Looking Eyes
Listening Ears
Helping Hands
Walking Feet
Quiet Voices or (Inside Voices if you prefer)

I started using these terms A LOT since monday. I have already heard the kids (AND ME) using these instead of more negative terms(even without me reminding them). I absolutely love the results I am having. We use gestures for each one as we say them as well.

Just wanted to share
This is exactly what I use at my own daycare now. It works awsome. To the parents and the kids I explain that the rules are based on the principal that "You may not hurt yourself, You may not hurt others, You may not hurt things" and this includes words.
originalkat 10:58 AM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by WImom:

YES! Maybe that is the site I found them from. I have Pre-K pages on my favorites. I LOVE that site.
mncare 12:10 PM 08-12-2010
Thanks for the link! There are a lot of great ideas that I hope to implement.

When we move down into the basement (hopefully soon) I plan on using my cricut machine to make vinyl letters for the wall reading "Make Good Choices" I was then going to put a list of rules underneath and I think I will be using these.
kidkair 12:10 PM 08-12-2010
Really, it's just trying to avoid the NO or DON'T phrases.
Another word to avoid using is "but" as it invalidates anything said before it. Most of the time when we use the word 'but' we could use 'and' and it makes both parts of the sentence valid. I find that this change is not easy and takes lots of practice. It makes a big difference though.
DanceMom 12:24 PM 08-12-2010
I Have loved putting up a Rules poster - anytime one is broken like another member said once we go over and read that rule and have to stand by the Rule poster for a minute and talk about them..it has realllly helped having them posted - even though they cant read they know what the poster is and so its a reminder to them !!
AmandasFCC 12:29 PM 08-12-2010
I did the same, with looking eyes, helping hands, listening ears, walking feet and respectful voices, + You may not hurt others, you may not hurt yourself, you may not hurt things
Tags:rules
Reply Up