Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Else On The East Coast And Feel The Earthquake?
JenNJ 11:29 AM 08-23-2011
We just had out monthly emergency drill, lol.
Cat Herder 11:35 AM 08-23-2011
Yep....

My kiddos slept right through it.

Wish my dog did....
kimsdaycare 11:39 AM 08-23-2011
Same here. All sleeping still, except my dog slept through it too.

My 15 Yr old DD ran in here with a crushed up banana facial mask on.

I took one look at her and almost forgot about the Earthquake
JenNJ 11:42 AM 08-23-2011
I am kicking myself for waking the kids. I should have let them sleep through it.
SilverSabre25 11:44 AM 08-23-2011
yep , felt it in OH. I remember thinking, "hey, that felt like an earthquake!" And then I dismissed it. Lo and behold, it really was. I think it's cool, but then, I'm a nerd like that, lol.
JenNJ 11:56 AM 08-23-2011
I'm sort of obsessed with weather phenomenons. I thought it was pretty cool, too.
Cat Herder 12:09 PM 08-23-2011
5.9 and centered North of Richmond Virginia.
AfterSchoolMom 12:10 PM 08-23-2011
Yep. Scary!
pinkbunny85 12:10 PM 08-23-2011
I felt it here in the valley of PA
SilverSabre25 12:20 PM 08-23-2011
Could be more of them...apparently the USGS thinks it may have just been a foreshock.
familyschoolcare 12:23 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Could be more of them...apparently the USGS thinks it may have just been a foreshock.
Yes the first one is not always the biggest of a cluster
Crazy8 12:28 PM 08-23-2011
yup, I'm in NJ and felt it!! Only have 2 daycare kids here today and they both slept thru it!
Michelle 12:45 PM 08-23-2011
That earthquake would barely make me look up from my computer.
I was here for the Northridge earthquake and Whittier Narrows!!!
Talk about scary! I was 9 months preggers too!! (Northridge)
MG&Lsmom 12:54 PM 08-23-2011
I didn't feel it here in Central MA. But my mom on the CT shoreline said there were dishes clanking and her client freaked. Scary!
familyschoolcare 01:27 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
That earthquake would barely make me look up from my computer.
I was here for the Northridge earthquake and Whittier Narrows!!!
Talk about scary! I was 9 months preggers too!! (Northridge)
I was going to say something like that but deiced not too any way.

Anything under a 6 I would not notice. Anything below a 6 is small, here in CA and it would be assumed that it was a beforeshock .

However, the way the building codes are different in different states and that would make the quake feel different.
Cat Herder 02:09 PM 08-23-2011
It is running as the top story here because it does not happen often at all.

Our buildings are not built to code for it.
Kaddidle Care 02:14 PM 08-23-2011
Yep felt it here too. I was standing on a chair and thought the chair was starting to crumble under me! (note to self, diet tomorrow)

My son said "Mom! Why is the computer shaking?" he was all aggitated like I was doing something to make it do that. Goofball!

I did call the neighbor to make sure it wasn't just my house that was doing something weird.
e.j. 02:17 PM 08-23-2011
I'm in MA and didn't feel anything. My husband came home from work saying people in a nearby hospital were told to evacuate the building. A bit of an overreaction I would say.
Kaddidle Care 02:20 PM 08-23-2011
This was felt all the way up to Canada!
Michael 02:57 PM 08-23-2011
Wierd that larger earthquakes are happeneing everywhere else but here in California. Not that I feel left out, but it makes me wonder when the plates are going to de-stress here. I'd rather have a lot of little ones then one big one.
JenNJ 03:03 PM 08-23-2011
I know its no big deal for you CA people, but this is the first I have felt one in my whole life! I was so disoriented at first. They said something about the ground on the east coast being perfect for transmitting the vibrations long distance.
melskids 03:15 PM 08-23-2011
upstate new york here...and we felt it. well, i did anyway. my teenage son didnt notice, and when i said something, he said...

"yeah right mom....its probably your blood pressure again."

kids...you gotta love them...lol
Michael 03:20 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I know its no big deal for you CA people, but this is the first I have felt one in my whole life! I was so disoriented at first. They said something about the ground on the east coast being perfect for transmitting the vibrations long distance.
My first one was a 6.9 while I was sleeping and living in Venice Beach. It so unnerved me that my hearthbeat would wake me up in the middle of the night for a few weeks thereafter.
meganlavonnesmommy 04:08 PM 08-23-2011
We're just north of DC, and felt it pretty strong. I had all non nappers today, so we were just coming inside from playing outside. I grabbed them all and we hid in the doorway for awhile. Once the shaking stopped we went outside to wait for aftershocks.

No damage, and we were all ok, but my house was a mess. Nothing broken, but stuff was thrown all over the place, things off shelves, pictures fell off the walls. Took awhile to clean everything up.

Sure hope that's the end of it so we can prepare for the hurricane now that its tracking more north.
newtodaycare22 05:40 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
We're just north of DC, and felt it pretty strong. I had all non nappers today, so we were just coming inside from playing outside. I grabbed them all and we hid in the doorway for awhile. Once the shaking stopped we went outside to wait for aftershocks.

No damage, and we were all ok, but my house was a mess. Nothing broken, but stuff was thrown all over the place, things off shelves, pictures fell off the walls. Took awhile to clean everything up.

Sure hope that's the end of it so we can prepare for the hurricane now that its tracking more north.
We are about 15 minutes from DC and we felt it! The light fixtures were swinging and stuff fell off shelves. Kids were napping and woke up like mummies out of tombstones! They were freaked at first and then I think they thought it was funny. Parents? They swooped their kids up within an hour. Except 2 that were in DC and it took 2 hours to travel that normally 15 minute trip!
familyschoolcare 06:15 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Wierd that larger earthquakes are happeneing everywhere else but here in California. Not that I feel left out, but it makes me wonder when the plates are going to de-stress here. I'd rather have a lot of little ones then one big one.
DO NOT JENKINS IT!

But agree would rath have 100 "little" one than one big one.
familyschoolcare 06:18 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
You never forget your first

while it is no big deal here in CA I would not know what to do during a hurricane besides freak out. Not that any one is freaking out. Just saying I understand it is not the norm in that part of the country and therefore you all are not sure what to do.
Michael 06:31 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
You never forget your first

while it is no big deal here in CA I would not know what to do during a hurricane besides freak out. Not that any one is freaking out. Just saying I understand it is not the norm in that part of the country and therefore you all are not sure what to do.
I've been through hurricanes. You know they're coming. Its the earthquakes that sneek up on you. They destroy above and below.
laundrymom 07:04 PM 08-23-2011
Ok for future reference, tornadoes get to lower level, no windows, preferably west side of home. Hurricanes, head inland, earthquakes???????
familyschoolcare 07:14 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Ok for future reference, tornadoes get to lower level, no windows, preferably west side of home. Hurricanes, head inland, earthquakes???????
Earth quakes the advice is to go outside to an open area if you can safely get there problem by the time you realize it is an earthquake times up.
Oneluckymom 07:16 PM 08-23-2011
I'm glad you are all safe. As a native to southern California I've been through some wild earthquakes. And we are long overdue which is scary because I just plain don't like them big or some because you don't have much time to do anything....it's just wham!! here we go!
GretasLittleFriends 07:30 PM 08-23-2011
I read that there was also an earthquake south of Denver this morning, 5am (7aET). It registered a 5.3. Then to read about the 5.9 out there made me start wondering...

http://www.fema.gov/hazard/earthquake/eq_during.shtm

Hope this helps.
Crystal 09:04 PM 08-23-2011
I am glad everyone is safe!

JenNJ....GOOD JOB following through with what you have practiced. It could have been worse and had you not followed planned emergency procedures, who knows what may have happened. I am IMPRESSED that you did it!!!!
Blackcat31 09:14 PM 08-23-2011
Earthquakes??? Hurricanes??? Flash floods??? Mud slides??? Wild Fires???

Where I live, we get misquitoes and sub zero temps but none of that ^^^^^ EVER!!!

We practice fire drills. Just curious about what type of drills do you all seriously have to practice for these types of natural disasters? What sort of stuff are you mandated to have in regards to safety gear or survival items?
Michelle 10:39 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
My first one was a 6.9 while I was sleeping and living in Venice Beach. It so unnerved me that my hearthbeat would wake me up in the middle of the night for a few weeks thereafter.
I used to freak out when I was younger but now I am so used to them.
I have lived in Ca. all my life and they just annoy me now.
The Mexico border quake on Easter Sunday was a slow rolling one that lasted so long I just got fed up and started walking around during it because I had things to do..
My daughter was like and my dh was like
So I went back to my hide under a stupid table til it was over!
Sometime I like to sneak up behind my 18 year old dd and shake her chair!!
She is so scared of earthquakes!!
niesen 11:37 PM 08-23-2011
I do not know if I would say I was fortunate enough not to have felt it, but I unfortunately missed it. I mean, I would not have been scared even if I was just standing still while everything unfolded. My friends and I were in the car on the way home that time and we were just struck when the story was relayed when we got home.
Koukla 08:04 AM 08-24-2011
im in the boston MA area and we didnt feel anything here other then I felt dizzy for a few seconds and then it just went away.. thought it was just my iron being off lol
Hunni Bee 04:52 PM 08-24-2011
We were at the pool when it happened

The water looked like it was boiling....

...Then they kicked us out and the phones weren't working. All I had brought with me was water....

It was unreal.
Hunni Bee 04:55 PM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
5.9 and centered North of Richmond Virginia.
I am in Richmond!!

No wonder...it knocked our phones out and everything....everyone ran into the street...
Danielle 05:36 PM 08-24-2011
I'm in southern VA. The kids slept through it. The dog was calm as could be (she freaks out when it rains ). I thought my blood sugar was lower until I saw the lights in the kitchen swinging. lol

I think mother nature has something against my area though. We have a swamp fire going, the earthquake and now Irene is on her way..
GretasLittleFriends 08:09 PM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Earthquakes??? Hurricanes??? Flash floods??? Mud slides??? Wild Fires???

Where I live, we get misquitoes and sub zero temps but none of that ^^^^^ EVER!!!

We practice fire drills. Just curious about what type of drills do you all seriously have to practice for these types of natural disasters? What sort of stuff are you mandated to have in regards to safety gear or survival items?
You forgot tornadoes. I'm not 100% sure where you live, but I suspect you at least do tornado drills?

We are required to and do practice fire drills and bad weather/tornado drills. Fire drills do get a little cold in the winter (and any advice to help speed them up would be GREATLY appreciated). We do storm/tornado drills in the summer. It usually happens that we get to go to the basement (for real) at least once in the summer, and I use that as one of our drills. Not necessarily a tornado, but strong wind thunderstorm enough to scare the kiddos.
Tags:earthquake
Reply Up