Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Smelly Diaper Pail Advice?
newtodaycare22 11:11 AM 08-24-2011
I have 6 kids and all but 1 are potty trained. Generally, I require that they be trained. 1 of them was 'on the cusp of being trained' at home but once she transitioned here, of course, it went down hill. She's only 2 so I don't expect too much. ANYWAY, on the real issue....the diaper bin is sooo smelly after 1 poopy diaper. Usually she does her BM in the afternoon but today it was 9am and then it sits there all day. Do you guys go put out the trash that often?? lol I can't imagine dealing with that smell all day.
Cat Herder 11:20 AM 08-24-2011
I keep a mesh bag filled with used plastic grocery bags hanging above the changing table. I cut a small hole in one bottom corner to pull the plastic bags out from the bottom while hanging, dispenser style.

The plastic bag then hangs on another hook for easy tossing in of used diapers.

After I am done with each round changes I grab it off the hook, tie it up and toss it into a closed can on the back porch to be emptied at the end of the day.

Smelly problem gone.
Pammie 11:21 AM 08-24-2011
I keep a separate trash can in my garage - just off the kitchen - for diapers. I literally just open the door to the garage from my kitchen and reach out and drop 'em in.

Any poopie ones, get bagged in a plastic grocery bag before I pop them in the trash. After closing each afternoon, I take the diaper trash out of the garage to our large trashcans outside.

It helps tremendously to do the double-bag, and to keep them out of our daycare area. That and Sam's club size packages of Febreeze Air Effects
newtodaycare22 11:24 AM 08-24-2011
Ok, thank you!! I've never dealt with diapers (no kids of my own, so this is my first experience at all) and I was doubting that people put up with this smell. lol
laundrymom 11:37 AM 08-24-2011
I too bag and toss outside to the big can. Each time. It helps tremendously. I have only 3 potty learned, 7 in dipes.
MommyMuffin 11:42 AM 08-24-2011
I had so much trouble with that. I tried those circular smell good things in the bottom. I took it out every day after daycare too. Finally I could not stand it anymore and now my diaper pail sits on my deck!
Kaddidle Care 11:47 AM 08-24-2011
Make sure you're tying the bag up tight and Ruffies has scented tiny bags that fit nicely into the diaper pails. Helps ever so slightly. But if you can manage to get it outside to the trash bin or even just to a container outside, do it.

The cat litter containers from Sam's Club work really well for this type of thing - they seal up pretty air tight. Much better than the step on diaper pail.
DCMom 11:54 AM 08-24-2011
I also bag up the diapers after each change and deposit them in a trash container right outside the patio door. That trash container gets emptied into our main trash daily.

I love Oust air and surface disinfectant for after diaper change refreshing of the air. It is one of my biggest worries that my house smells like a diaper pail to other people
Crazy8 12:25 PM 08-24-2011
I'm also a bag and toss kinda gal. I wondered if this was going to be acceptable at my next inspection because my guidelines say I have to have a covered pail for diapers.
MG&Lsmom 12:38 PM 08-24-2011
I do cloth with my son and I use baking powder and some nice essential oil on a rag inside. No stink. Diapers get washed ever 2-3 days.

For disposables, they go right outside. I have a trash can on the back deck for diapers and really gross kitchen trash, things the cat brings me, etc. Deck isn't approved daycare space, so no open trash can problems. I just toss it out the door into the can. Gets emptied every couple of days.
CheekyChick 01:10 PM 08-24-2011
I buy the yummy smelling diaper bags and tie them at the top. Then I throw them in a pail (outside) of the side door. I love my little ones but could NOT smell poopy diapers all day.
Michael 04:41 PM 08-24-2011
We use a Diaper Genie. No smell what so ever in the house. Also good for indoor pets.

Playtex Diaper Genie II Elite Advanced Diaper Disposal System

http://www.playtexbaby.com/DiaperGen...lite-Pail.aspx

Abigail 05:37 PM 08-24-2011
http://www.babytrend.com/diaper_champ/4100.html
We use a Diaper Champ. It's great because you can use any plastic bag (13 gallon) and don't have to commit to expensive diaper refill bags. We never have smell issues and ours was probably a hand-me-down diaper champ. I clean it with bleach water once a week, but doesn't take more than a minute. I NEVER use individual plastic bags for any poopy diaper. I do use individual plastic bags for soiled clothing to send home though. Target here recently stopped carrying the Diaper Champ, so I'm not sure if it's because Baby Trend came out with the deluxe model of this or if it wasn't a big seller here. I would recommend it. It can hold up to 30 diapers and we empty ours after having daycare open 11.5 hours a day. We have about 8 in diapers.
mismatchedsocks 05:46 PM 08-24-2011
I use plastic bags for everything! I have not bought a garbage bag in years! I change all the kids at the same time, putting each diaper in the plastic bag with the other garbage, then take out after I am done with them all. If there is a poopy diaper, then I check the rest of them and take it out again. I hate the poopy smell even while changing them.
e.j. 05:47 PM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
We use a Diaper Genie. No smell what so ever in the house. Also good for indoor pets.
Yup! I'd be lost without my Diaper Genie. I like the idea of the Diaper Champ, though. The DG refills are fairly expensive.
Crazy8 07:30 PM 08-24-2011
I love the look of the new diaper genie but when you have a daycare of 4-5 kiddo's in diapers you'd go broke buying those refills!!!
sahm1225 04:38 AM 08-25-2011
I second the diaper champ - I own 3! One on each level of my house. It keeps the smell contained and it's a regular garbage bag so we change it 1-2x a day (we have 10 in diapers). We clean it with bleach water once a week and let it air dry over the weekend.
WImom 06:37 AM 08-25-2011
I only have two left that aren't potty trained right now (and they are part time) but if need be I put the diaper on the garage floor in a sealed baggie. (We have an attached garage). DH loves those surprises when he gets home...lol. I always throw it after the end of the day though.

I had the diaper champ when my two were in diapers and that thing worked great. If I get more kids in diapers I'll be getting one of those again.
christinaskids 08:55 AM 08-25-2011
I just do diaper changes at once and put them into an old grocery bag and throw them right outside into the garbage can. I dont really see how people just throw diapers in the garbage in their house, yuck!
Tags:diaper genie, poopy diaper, potty trained
Reply Up