Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT. Smartphone
jessrlee 07:04 AM 05-15-2013
I just shattered my iPhone 3s. After an hr of arguing with customer service they say I have to pay $200 with insurance to replace it I'm just going to pay the $250 for early upgrade. What phone would you get? IPhone 4?
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 05-15-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
I just shattered my iPhone 3s. After an hr of arguing with customer service they say I have to pay $200 with insurance to replace it I'm just going to pay the $250 for early upgrade. What phone would you get? IPhone 4?
My son just upgraded to the iphone5. He LOVES it but says it isn't all that much different than the iphone4.

If it is possible for the same price, I would go for the iphone5 but if cost is an issue and you have to get a 4 I'd get the iphone 4s over just the plain iphone4.

My DD swears that Apple is going to release the iphone6 around Christmas time 2013 so I would go for the newest version possible if you don't upgrade often.

I keep my cell phones long after I am due for an upgrade so I always try to get the newest one so it isn't out dated as soon.
MarinaVanessa 07:38 AM 05-15-2013
If you just want something that's easy to use I would deffinetely stick with the iPhone. They're a little behind in "smartphone" technology but they are user friendly and work great if all you need it for is calls, texting and email. Apple also has a lot apps, many of which are free to use. If you are up for an upgrade get whichever iPhone you can afford, if you aren't up for an upgrade I'd look for a used or refurbished phone instead.

If you want something more compIicated with more technology I'd go with an android. They're ahead so far in the times and tend to be less than apple phones. Apple has been playing catch up with Android for years. I have an Android HTC one X and I love the interface. I can do everything business on it, more than I could with iPhone. I also like that Android is meant for Google, which is what I use (email, drive, calendar, etc). So far I've been able to find either the same app as i had when I had an iPhone or at least a similar replacement also for free (background checks, first aid app, bank apps, facebook pages manager, financial apps, etc). My photos and videos also come out clearer than those that use iPhones and I can take photos from my android and use them for my website etc. without them having a bluish tint (which iPhones tend to do).

In either case I'd go play with some of the phones at a retailer and then read some reviews. Get something that you are comfortable using so as not to overspend for something that you won't use fully. My mom got a phone just like mine (switched from iPhone) and she doesn't use even half of the features which is a waste lol. I often tell her its too much phone for her but she is technologically impaired. After using both iPhones and Androids I'd have to say that to me using an iPhone is like a Leapster where an Android is like a laptop. IPhone's are consumer friendly where Androids take a little longer to get used to. My 2 yo DS knows his way around iPhone's but won't touch my phone because he gets frustrated lol.

And remember that when it comes to smartphones, pretty much whatever you buy isn't covered by the insurance if its self inflicted. Dropping it, getting it wet, dropping it in sand, having it stolen or losing it etc means you will have to replace it out of pocket. And any smartphone you get is only meant to be kept for 2 years max but after that any issues you have with it aren't covered anymore through warranty or phone insurance. Sadly I too have been there done that :-/
MyAngels 09:21 AM 05-15-2013
I love my Galaxy SIII. I'm trying to figure out how to get ATT to let me have the SIV early .

I don't like being locked into Apple products and it seems like Android is much more open source.
Mom2Five+ 09:46 AM 05-15-2013
I also have the Galaxy SIII and love it. I just learned last year that if you have a Best Buy near you to get your upgrades through them. Their insurance is really reasonable I think like $15 a month depending on if its a andriod or Iphone and they will give you a loaner if you have to take your phone in and if it can't be fixed give you a new one with no co-pay. Also they will take it if you drop it or even bring it in in pieces. The only thing the will not cover is if it is lost or stolen. I had a wonderful daycare child get a hold of mine while I was putting the seat belts on the kids in the back and tossed it out the window just as a car was pulling in to park in the next spot. Took it in to them in a few pieces needless to say and got a replacement with no problems.
stephisme 10:05 AM 05-15-2013
Hey,

Do you have any apple stores by you? I only ask because I have had pretty good luck with them replacing my apple products even when it was my own fault.

For example, I have a macbook pro that I knocked a bottle of water onto and after I freaked out for about an hour I took it to the apple store. The "apple genius" who helped me out was extremely nice and sent it to to be repaired as a one time curtesy. It was not repairable and they actually gave me a brand new one that was the upgraded version. I have also heard of people going in with broken screens on their iphones and them replacing them. Just always be very nice and such. Anyways, if you have a store close by it's worth a shot lol.
Good Luck!
jessrlee 10:13 AM 05-15-2013
Thanks I mostly use it for phone, text, and net. I take a ton of pictures so a decent camera would be really nice. I also use it for radio, music and tv. I'm young (under 30) so I should be able to figure out most things.
Little Star75 11:00 AM 05-15-2013
I had an iPhone 4 and loved it upgraded to a 5 and hated it lol now I have a Galaxy Note 2 and love it.
Happy Hearts 01:34 PM 05-15-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
Thanks I mostly use it for phone, text, and net. I take a ton of pictures so a decent camera would be really nice. I also use it for radio, music and tv. I'm young (under 30) so I should be able to figure out most things.
ahem.... I'm in my 50's and I can figure out most things.
jessrlee 06:25 PM 05-15-2013
Originally Posted by Happy Hearts:
ahem.... I'm in my 50's and I can figure out most things.
I'm sorry I didn't mean anything by it.
Reply Up