Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bending Policies..
Jack Sprat 01:05 PM 08-20-2013
My policy as far as naps is that ALL children 5 and under rest for 30 minutes. This means laying on nap mat quietly they may look at books but no talking. Well, the last three days dcb has asked mom to tell me he didn't need to nap. The first day was because his friend was here and he wanted to play with him. I said fine he can join in on our craft. Which he didn't do instead kept asking for a movie. The next day she said he slept in so wouldn't need the rest. Again I agreed. I feel I shouldn't have though. Then, today it was he doesn't want to nap today. In my head I was thinking yes, I know shocking though he sleeps so to me he must need the rest, and he doesn't want to ever eat here as well, nor does he want to play unless the bigs are playing the game he wants to play. I didn't say this though. I just smiled and said he never is made to nap but, he will rest for 30 minutes like everyone else that is 5 and under. He wasn't happy about it and not sure if mom was or not. Frankly, I don't care either. Wrong attitude I know this. I am so over the constant asking for rules to be bent for some kids and not others. She also said that he and his sister are starved when they get home and he says he has no milk all day. I explained to when and how much milk he gets and he chooses not eat and I choose to not be a short order cook. I also told her that I don't believe everything they tell me, so she might not want to believe everything they tell her.

Felt good to put my foot down.
grandmom 02:39 PM 08-20-2013
Good for you for putting your foot down. The more you give, the more you are asked to give. The same parents who complain will ask for more special.

You can't make him eat. And for heaven's sake, don't do the short order cook thing. What a sad thing for a child to expect you will cook what he wants.

It gets easier to say no. Just keep practicing.
Jack Sprat 05:57 PM 08-20-2013
Thank you! I feel bad in a way putting my foot down. But, at same time I wouldn't ask that things be changed for my child.
Familycare71 07:18 PM 08-20-2013
I think you did great!! . You have nothing to be sorry about!
Tags:policies
Reply Up