Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Time for walk preparation
Chicago Mom 01:46 PM 08-26-2014
I dropped in at my child's daycare today to peek as she has just moved to a new classroom. There were 12 children all sitting in buggies in the middle of the center waiting for a teacher to get back from her break to go for a walk. All kids already had hats on. Not sure how long they had all been loaded up. It seemed like between when I arrived and they left an awfully long time passed. But I have never loaded up 3 quad-strollers with 12-18 month olds and maybe I am off!!!

Realistically, how long does it take between when the last child is loaded in the buggy and you are out the door?
BrooklynM 01:51 PM 08-26-2014
Originally Posted by Chicago Mom:
I dropped in at my child's daycare today to peek as she has just moved to a new classroom. There were 12 children all sitting in buggies in the middle of the center waiting for a teacher to get back from her break to go for a walk. All kids already had hats on. Not sure how long they had all been loaded up. It seemed like between when I arrived and they left an awfully long time passed. But I have never loaded up 3 quad-strollers with 12-18 month olds and maybe I am off!!!

Realistically, how long does it take between when the last child is loaded in the buggy and you are out the door?
By the time I load up just 4 into a stroller, I'm literally sweating, then I have to make sure I grabbed everything, that I went to the bathroom because you know there's no where to go when you are out there, and then it seems as if always as soon as I've got them all loaded and ready...whats that smell?? Dang, now I have to change a poopy diaper! . I wouldn't think too much of it, they were probably just fine.
daycare 02:16 PM 08-26-2014
I have a quad buggy, seats 4

wagon seats 2

walk-a-dile walking rope with harness- 6.

it takes two of us about 15 minutes to get everyone in and up and read to go.

This is of course after shoes, hats and water cups have been put on and in the wagon.

from start to finish about 35 minutes
Heidi 03:17 PM 08-26-2014
Her "break" might just have been going to the bathroom and filling up her water jug. It takes me about 10-15 minutes to get 4 loaded, hats on, and myself ready, and make sure I have everything. In colder weather, it takes longer because I'm having to re-dress those who've stripped while I'm dressing the others.
Chicago mom 03:28 PM 08-26-2014
Heidi - it was her lunch break. They were all already seated in the buggy when I got there with hats. It seems to me to make more sense to wait for the teacher to be back to load the kids up rather than waiting 15 mins after they are loaded to leave. (If they were putting hats on kids I wouldnt have thought twice about it. And I am sure those hats go on each child several times.) If they were going to be just sitting there waiting it would have been nice if they had at least been singing some songs or something. But it sounds like as a parent I am just out of touch with reality.
SilverSabre25 04:22 PM 08-26-2014
It might be a problem.

It might not be.

It might be a frequent occurrence.

You might have caught them on a once-in-a-blue-moon bad day/unusual situation.

If you're really concerned...check up again in a few days. Come a little earlier, or maybe a little later. Talk with her teachers for more information. COmpare what they say to what you saw. THEN, decide if it's something to pursue further.
nannyde 06:07 PM 08-26-2014
It's easier to supervise them buckled in. They may have been stalling to pass time. Check back again.

I have had this with staff assistants. I had one who would walk around the corner and sit down on a brick ledge around a big tree. She would have the kids who were walking just sit. Then a half hour later she would walk back around the corner.

I caught on the second day because the kids weren't out of breath or sweaty when they came back. I asked the oldest why she wasnt huffing and puffing and not sweaty. She told me they sat down on their walk.

Nice try.
Heidi 06:52 AM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's easier to supervise them buckled in. They may have been stalling to pass time. Check back again.

I have had this with staff assistants. I had one who would walk around the corner and sit down on a brick ledge around a big tree. She would have the kids who were walking just sit. Then a half hour later she would walk back around the corner.

I caught on the second day because the kids weren't out of breath or sweaty when they came back. I asked the oldest why she wasnt huffing and puffing and not sweaty. She told me they sat down on their walk.

Nice try.

I bet she lasted long!
Heidi 06:56 AM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by Chicago mom:
Heidi - it was her lunch break. They were all already seated in the buggy when I got there with hats. It seems to me to make more sense to wait for the teacher to be back to load the kids up rather than waiting 15 mins after they are loaded to leave. (If they were putting hats on kids I wouldnt have thought twice about it. And I am sure those hats go on each child several times.) If they were going to be just sitting there waiting it would have been nice if they had at least been singing some songs or something. But it sounds like as a parent I am just out of touch with reality.

In that case, I'd keep an eye on it. I don't think you're out of touch at all. I think you're observant and probably more tuned in that a lot of parents. I've had parents walk in my door (when I lived in a flat) and leave it wide open, letting babies crawl out around them; totally oblivious. You notice things. That's great, IMO.

I also like that you didn't jump in and complain immediately. While it's not ideal to leave them waiting, if it's a one time thing, it's not a big deal. If it's a regular occurrence, I'd say something. They are most likely doing it out of practicality (maybe that's when someone else is available to help out). But, they may need to tweak their staff schedule a bit to limit that wait time at least somewhat.
sahm1225 12:51 PM 08-27-2014
I have a home daycare so for us it's shoes, hats, & then out them in the buggies. To get out of the door it's about 15 minutes. The children are expected to sit with their shoes on & hats on and then one assistant goes outside and loads them in one by one. Once they are in the stroller it's about 10 minutes from the first one that was strapped in.

BUT there's days when the first one poops & we have to unload and go change a diaper. Then another one spits up & has to be cleaned up. Then a School kid needs to go potty. Then one of the workers has to go potty! And it could be 30 minutes just waiting.

I think you should go again & check it out. It could be that that particular day they were able to get in the buggies quicker than expected? Personally 15 minutes doesn't seem bad to me, but I would expect some kind of interaction with the children (not just letting them Sit there).
Reply Up