Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snow Gear...or Lack There of...
finsup 06:06 AM 02-18-2015
Oh silly parents, sending your child without snow gear on purpose so they won't be able to go outside isn't going to do any good. It just so happens that I have extra gear in your child's size. Just in case you "forget". There is 4 feet of snow outside but I understand its hard for you to remember and if you REALLY don't want DCB going outside, I'd be happy to call you to pick up! Seriously, this has happened so many times with different parents...I just don't get it or why they think it will do any good lol. And now back to work
Annalee 06:20 AM 02-18-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
Oh silly parents, sending your child without snow gear on purpose so they won't be able to go outside isn't going to do any good. It just so happens that I have extra gear in your child's size. Just in case you "forget". There is 4 feet of snow outside but I understand its hard for you to remember and if you REALLY don't want DCB going outside, I'd be happy to call you to pick up! Seriously, this has happened so many times with different parents...I just don't get it or why they think it will do any good lol. And now back to work
I love their faces when parents do not comply and they come in to pick up and see we carried on as usual despite their lack of cooperation. They usually end up complying!!!
Kabob 07:19 AM 02-18-2015
I had this problem last year so this year before the snow and cold weather came I sent home a reminder that all children were to leave a set of winter gear here at daycare. I included a very specific list since parents thought boots meant socks that looked like boots...
Then I enforced it by saying if they didn't have the list here by xyz date I'd refuse care.

Magically I ended up with all families complying.
Unregistered 09:15 AM 02-18-2015
Being able to leave a set at daycare really helps! I know it seems like we parents "forget" on purpose so that our kids don't have to go out, but in my case, I really just forget! Trying to get out of the house in the mornings so that noone is late for school/I am not late for work is craziness, and I run out of the house missing things OFTEN. Like at least 3 times a week something is forgotten and usually the schedule is so tight, I just can't go back without everyone being late.
finsup 09:34 AM 02-18-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Being able to leave a set at daycare really helps! I know it seems like we parents "forget" on purpose so that our kids don't have to go out, but in my case, I really just forget! Trying to get out of the house in the mornings so that noone is late for school/I am not late for work is craziness, and I run out of the house missing things OFTEN. Like at least 3 times a week something is forgotten and usually the schedule is so tight, I just can't go back without everyone being late.
Oh yeah, I have one family that really does truly forget lol. Mom warned me she was super forgetful from day one it actually became so much easier to gave extra gear here anyways. Its always here, clean and I don't have to try and keep track of what mittens/boots/hats etc goes home with anyone. If parents legitimately forget, no problem however, the families that have done it...yeah, it was on purpose lol. When they find out we went out anyway I always hear "but I didn't send any snow gear? I didn't think you would take him out if he didn't have it..." I've had a few "special" families to say the least lol. But legitamitly forgetting, no issue there
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 02-18-2015
Totally understand forgetting things but when you live in an area that winter is well winter....there are certain things you just can't forget. Forgetting FULL snow gear in my neck of the woods is like forgetting your pants on your way to work.

I don't keep extra's but I WILL turn a family away at the door if they don't come prepared.

I DO have the space to keep a spare set here but it's not something I like to get into the habit of doing because then I become the ONLY place a child is able to go outside at....
daycarediva 09:43 AM 02-18-2015
OK, please don't take this wrong, and I mean it in the spirit of one busy Mom to another. If you know you're going to forget, you need to plan ahead. Make a list, prep bags the night before, leave a set at daycare, whatever you need to do to make sure it's done.

I make a list for the morning, get up earlier than everyone else to have that extra time, prep everything possible the night before, and with 4 kids of my own and 6-8 extra kids with the daycare, I don't truly 'forget' much anymore.

Back to topic-
If a parent consistently forgot snow gear here, they would be required to leave a set. I also call for pickup if they don't have winter gear. I legally have to take the kids out, and I can't let one kid/family repeatedly cause us to stay indoors.

I go over it BIG TIME on interview and reiterate what I mean by ALL WEATHER. Unless there is a wind-chill advisory, or it's thundering/lightning, we go outside.
Shell 10:06 AM 02-18-2015
We have what, eight feet of snow total this winter- and I still have parents forget Today, I had one dcm tell me it was too cold to go anywhere, I took this as her way of telling me she didn't want dcg to go outside. Since it reached over 20 degrees, I went out with the kids. I called dcm and have her the heads up we were going out and I had extra stuff for dcg. I don't have extra snow pants though, and told dcg no going in the deep snow. Well, of course she did when I was feeding the baby. She got stuck, and I had to trudge through several feet of snow (without snow pants myself) to "rescue" her and carry her out- wow, that was a work out! Ahh, winter
Meyou 10:40 AM 02-18-2015
I send them home for whatever they forgot. No gear, no stay.
Unregistered 11:02 AM 02-18-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
OK, please don't take this wrong, and I mean it in the spirit of one busy Mom to another. If you know you're going to forget, you need to plan ahead. Make a list, prep bags the night before, leave a set at daycare, whatever you need to do to make sure it's done.

I make a list for the morning, get up earlier than everyone else to have that extra time, prep everything possible the night before, and with 4 kids of my own and 6-8 extra kids with the daycare, I don't truly 'forget' much anymore.

Back to topic-
If a parent consistently forgot snow gear here, they would be required to leave a set. I also call for pickup if they don't have winter gear. I legally have to take the kids out, and I can't let one kid/family repeatedly cause us to stay indoors.

I go over it BIG TIME on interview and reiterate what I mean by ALL WEATHER. Unless there is a wind-chill advisory, or it's thundering/lightning, we go outside.
You are totally right! It IS my fault and there ARE things I could do to make the mornings go more smoothly. I feel like I do the best I can without making myself and my family miserable. Getting 8 children with all of their paraphernalia to 4 different schools and one home daycare and to work within a 30 minute window is character-building for sure. I am truly glad we live in an area where a coat is all that's needed, even in the snow!!!
laundrymom 11:28 AM 02-18-2015
You are totally right! It IS my fault and there ARE things I could do to make the mornings go more smoothly. I feel like I do the best I can without making myself and my family miserable. Getting 8 children with all of their paraphernalia to 4 different schools and one home daycare and to work within a 30 minute window is character-building for sure. I am truly glad we live in an area where a coat is all that's needed, even in the snow!!!
Doing my best bow. Wow. You rock.
284878 05:24 AM 02-19-2015
My probelm is, dcm wants her kids to go outside. Baby comes with nothing but blanket. Toddler wears a coat and rubber boots. She does not care if I take them out this way as long as they go out.
Kabob 05:36 AM 02-19-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
My probelm is, dcm wants her kids to go outside. Baby comes with nothing but blanket. Toddler wears a coat and rubber boots. She does not care if I take them out this way as long as they go out.
Give her list of required garments for going outside and tell her without those items for each child, you will not accept that child into care for the day as they aren't ready for daycare activities. It's no different if she sent them without diapers or any clothes on, or covered in poop. They need to be daycare ready.
Tags:snow gear, winter clothes
Reply Up