Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cleaning My Changing Pad
MarinaVanessa 04:53 PM 11-02-2015
As dumb as this may sound I need suggestions on how to get my changing pad looking clean. I don't use (nor do I want to use) changing pad covers because I sanitize my pad before and after each use. My pad isn't "dirty" in the sense that it has germs since I do clean it before and after with a bleach/water solution but it looks dingy and grimy.

I tried sponge washing it with baby wash and water and then instead of a sponge using a brush. It still looks awful and it's driving the OCD in me crazy. I went out to buy a new one reluctant to pay $30 but it bothers me more to have it look dingy than spending $30 ... they only have changing pads that have grooves and designs imprinted in them and my experience with these were that sometimes the poop got into the crevices and was hard to wipe out (the one I have now is completely smooth).

Sorry, this turned into a vent/advice thread . Any ideas? I thought about filling a tub with bleach/water and letting it soak but I'm afraid it won't dry in time to use the next day and not sure that would work.
spud912 06:08 PM 11-02-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
As dumb as this may sound I need suggestions on how to get my changing pad looking clean. I don't use (nor do I want to use) changing pad covers because I sanitize my pad before and after each use. My pad isn't "dirty" in the sense that it has germs since I do clean it before and after with a bleach/water solution but it looks dingy and grimy.

I tried sponge washing it with baby wash and water and then instead of a sponge using a brush. It still looks awful and it's driving the OCD in me crazy. I went out to buy a new one reluctant to pay $30 but it bothers me more to have it look dingy than spending $30 ... they only have changing pads that have grooves and designs imprinted in them and my experience with these were that sometimes the poop got into the crevices and was hard to wipe out (the one I have now is completely smooth).

Sorry, this turned into a vent/advice thread . Any ideas? I thought about filling a tub with bleach/water and letting it soak but I'm afraid it won't dry in time to use the next day and not sure that would work.
Have you tried a magic eraser? Also I found Windex works well on dingy items.
Unregistered 06:26 PM 11-02-2015
Scrubbing bubbles works good on vinyl.
MarinaVanessa 08:27 PM 11-02-2015
I will try all of these suggestions tomorrow, Thank you. I wouldn't have thought to try any of these. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to buy an embossed pad this weekend.
mommiebookworm 08:33 PM 11-02-2015
Try making a solution of 1/4 Dawn dishsoap to 3/4 hydrogen peroxide. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and then thoroughly rinse it off. I use that concoction on all kinds of stains.
daycarediva 05:53 AM 11-03-2015
I haven't had anything a magic eraser couldn't clean up- even that little tykes plastic that looks dingy after a season.
Second Home 06:09 AM 11-03-2015
I got rid of my changing pad and now use a sleeping mat ( a smaller one ) . much easier to clean , more durable and it is colored so it does not show the wear as much .
MarinaVanessa 06:39 AM 11-03-2015
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I got rid of my changing pad and now use a sleeping mat ( a smaller one ) . much easier to clean , more durable and it is colored so it does not show the wear as much .
Is your mat one flat piece with no folds/indentations? As in it's not a fold-able mat is it where there are creases in the material where you fold it up? What brand is it? My mat bothers me so much that if I can't take the grunge out I'm going to buy a new one and will probably end up buying a heavy duty daycare center changing mat from a catalog. I'm trying to avoid anything that might trap feces.

My mat looks dirty like as if dirt is trapped in the material. I've had it for 5 years or so however so maybe it's just time to replace it ... I think it just irks me because I'm usually able to remove stains and grunge off of pretty much anything and the pad has me stumped, I'm stubborn .

I buy used cloth diapers with set-in stains for super cheap and can typically get all or most of the stains out and they end up looking fantastic and I use white terry cloths to clean even my floors and my cloths are still always bright white. My kids grass/food/dirt stained clothes? No problem. But for whatever reason I just can't get the grunge out of my pad ... pad you will not defeat me!!
crunchymama 10:10 AM 11-03-2015
Spray it down with vinegar and let it sit in the sun. The sun usually draws out discoloration.

I use a cradle or bassinet mattress for a changing pad. They're cheaper than a regular changing pad and basically the same thing.
Ariana 03:46 PM 11-03-2015
I always take a few wipes and lay down under the kids bum before I wipe them. That way their but is not actually ever touching the change pad. Only takes an extra wipe or two. I also use the disinfectant wipes that come in the containers. Lysol is the brand.
Thriftylady 04:00 PM 11-03-2015
Bleach can make things look dingy, it could be that.
kitykids3 05:17 PM 11-03-2015
I would have guessed a magic eraser, but not sure. I always end up replacing mine about every couple years.
Tsadri 06:52 PM 11-03-2015
I use plastic sheeting to wrap up my changing pad like a present and tape underneath. It's easy to wipe down and when it gets too gnarly or gets a hole, I can just re-cover. Has made my changing pad last so much longer than normal.
MarinaVanessa 11:57 AM 11-04-2015
I never would have thought to buy a bassinet pad, that's a good idea (in case I have to buy a new one). I did try sunning the pad after scrubbing it but maybe because of the season it didn't really work, it works on my cloth diapers but I sun those after every wash which I don't do to my pad very often so maybe that's it.

The Windex window cleaner didn't work but I do have a Windex all purpose cleaner I'm going to try also. The magic eraser worked on the surface but didn't get into the material, it really does look like dirt. I may try fresh lemon juice and try sunning it for a full day this weekend, maybe that'll work. I'll try vinegar tonight also.

I thought about making a cover for my pad out of PUL but at $15 a yard I might just go to the $1 store and buy a cheap shower curtain instead and make one out of that.
Thriftylady 12:13 PM 11-04-2015
I use the small cheap changing pads. I usually find brand new ones at the thrift store for a buck or two. So each kiddo has one. I also have some clear vinyl tablecloth that I cut to size for when I needed extra. For whatever reason, I like each kiddo to have their own.
kitykids3 12:46 PM 11-04-2015
Originally Posted by Tsadri:
I use plastic sheeting to wrap up my changing pad like a present and tape underneath. It's easy to wipe down and when it gets too gnarly or gets a hole, I can just re-cover. Has made my changing pad last so much longer than normal.
I like this idea. Never thought of this. Thanks!
Unregistered 11:44 PM 11-04-2015
My first thought was magic eraser too.

Automatic dish washer liquid soap will also get out dingy grime. I've used it on toys that have been washed but look dingy....like your sanitizing dirt! Especially white or light colored toys.

One example is a kids table like the Little Tyke square table with the white top. There's little pits in the top that trap dirt. No amount of srubbing would get it clean. I spread a layer of liquid automatic dish washer soap on it and let it sit. Then wash it off. Voila! Clean as can be!

This soap does have bleach in it I believe. At least it smells like it does.
KGYUsadHw 12:30 AM 11-05-2015
Regardless of my changing casesam.co.uk pad, I would use a sleeping mat.
Second Home 04:33 AM 11-05-2015
I just use a $5 walmart mat , it does have folds but not a big deal for me . We are not allowed to use anything cloth so no covers .
Febby 05:22 AM 11-05-2015
My center uses nap mats that don't fold. They're all brown, so they're more like to rip before they look dingy enough to be a problem.

The last center I was at used white pads and we never actually figured out how to keep them white.
sharlan 03:09 PM 11-05-2015
Chances are after 5 years that the plastic/vinyl has just broken down and there is nothing you can do about it. I have a stack of hand towels that I use on the floor. I don't have room for a changing table.
Unregistered 03:51 PM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I haven't had anything a magic eraser couldn't clean up- even that little tykes plastic that looks dingy after a season.
They sell generic ones on amazon 100 for $10
Reply Up