Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Enrolling Sight Unseen?
Baby Beluga 01:53 PM 08-09-2018
Family is moving across country from the east coast to the southwest. Mom is an RN and already has a job/schedule. I don't know what dad does. Mom wants to hold a spot for her 4 year old starting in September. We obviously have not met. We've emailed quite a bit, she has browsed my care.com profile and business FB page. With all the content on both, she is able to "know me" without "meeting me"

Basically all of my kids but 1 aged out, and now I am enrolling new ones so it's a big transition stage over here. Because of this I don't mind holding a spot, if the child is a good fit since I stager start dates anyway.

But...having not met the family or child yet, this makes me nervous.
KiwiKids 01:56 PM 08-09-2018
Could you skype or FaceTime with them? Will they be traveling out to check out housing at any point where she could pop in and meet you?
Snowmom 01:57 PM 08-09-2018
It would make me nervous too.
But, I think a trial period clause can cover you in case it's not the right fit.

Is the child starting in September or are you holding it starting in September?
DaveA 02:04 PM 08-09-2018
Originally Posted by KiwiKids:
Could you skype or FaceTime with them? Will they be traveling out to check out housing at any point where she could pop in and meet you?
That was going to be my suggestion also. I would do a bunch of email/ phone conversations and make sure they have all the paperwork including your policies and contract so there are fewer surprises.
Baby Beluga 02:23 PM 08-09-2018
They leave their town 9/6 and mom wants him to start 9/12 as she starts work 9/17 and wants to get the house together before work.

On one hand I see her point. Just jump in to a routine and everyone will adjust. On another hand, I am scared (right word?) for the little boy. That's a LOT of new changes in a short amount of time. He may adjust super well or he may have issues. No one will know until we are in the thick of it.

Face time is a good idea!

I figured I would send her and dad all of my paperwork, have them sign and return it along with a deposit equal to 1 week's tuition. When they arrive I would require a meet and greet prior to DCB starting. If I decided not to proceed with enrollment I would just refund the deposit. I told her it was non-refundable...but given the transition stage I am in, I am okay refunding it. It is also VERY rare for anyone (center or in-home) to require a deposit here. At some point I also think we should have a phone conversation, but we've gone over almost everything via email, so I am not sure this is necessary. Maybe a face time interview/review of handbook/contract?

ETA: they already have a house here.
CalCare 03:35 PM 08-09-2018
I did it. Family was in the middle of moving from East coast to West coast, had a death in the family, had to do everything quickly. It was/is a cousin to one of my ideal families. So I just said ok we'll do a two week trial when you come and then enroll if it works. Well the kid is pretty perfect, but guess who are my ONLY parents who don't pay on time or ask extra here and there? My only parents. Because they never went through the ringer I usually do to tour people lol
AmyKidsCo 01:31 PM 08-10-2018
Last week I would've said maybe, but after reading Tom Copelands blog post about discriminating and disabilities I changed my mind. When you meet a child before enrollment you can see if he/she will be a good fit for your program, but if you enroll sight unseen and the child has a disability it's really hard to terminate. Even if the reason isn't the disability I'd worry that the parents would claim that's the real reason.
Tags:enrolling, enrolling - sight unseen, interview - facetime
Reply Up