Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crusty Navel
Pestle 11:27 AM 11-07-2018
Got a 16mo with a big ol' pot belly. Today I found green scabby crumbles falling out of her tiny little belly button. I brushed them away, then checked into the navel. It's raw and pink and moist, with scabby crust around the edges. Is this a thing?

Search for "belly button" tags only pulls up an alarming rash, and there's no "navel" tag, but I know I'm not the only person ever to have this issue.
Indoorvoice 11:50 AM 11-07-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Got a 16mo with a big ol' pot belly. Today I found green scabby crumbles falling out of her tiny little belly button. I brushed them away, then checked into the navel. It's raw and pink and moist, with scabby crust around the edges. Is this a thing?

Search for "belly button" tags only pulls up an alarming rash, and there's no "navel" tag, but I know I'm not the only person ever to have this issue.
Kind of embarrassing but my belly button gets infected all the time. It's really shallow and gets irritated by my clothing. It usually goes away after cleaning with hydrogen peroxide for a few days. I would still request that parents take her to the Dr to diagnose and prescribe what measures they should take.
Blackcat31 12:16 PM 11-07-2018

Unless you have an issue with clothing or some other irritant like Indoorvoice said above, poor hygiene is the most common cause of belly button smell, crusty's etc.

Most belly buttons are indented so they act as a trap for sweat, dead skin, and dirt. Very few parents actually make a point to wash their kids' belly button with soap so germs can develop.

I've seen a ton of kids with this issue. I think it's just an area parents over look...kwim?
Pestle 01:21 PM 11-07-2018
I actually lost my navel to an umbilical hernia during my pregnancy. It is still there, but has no definition. It is neither an innie nor a outie. It is just a lumpy swath of flesh middle of my belly.
Josiegirl 02:31 PM 11-07-2018
I thought this was a new drink when I saw the title.
Pestle 03:01 PM 11-07-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
GROSS, Josie!
boy_mom 04:35 PM 11-07-2018
Originally Posted by josiegirl:
i thought this was a new drink when i saw the title.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
jenboo 05:37 PM 11-07-2018
Mine used to get that way. No idea why... I'm a clean person eventually it stopped happening.
Ariana 06:52 PM 11-07-2018
I actually lost my navel to an umbilical hernia during my pregnancy. It is still there, but has no definition. It is neither an innie nor a outie. It is just a lumpy swath of flesh middle of my belly.
I had two sibling daycare boys with this. What are the chances they both had some sort of hernia? I always wondered about it.

I think I would be inclined to wipe it with a diaper wipe and then add diaper cream to the belly button to keeo moisture out.
Rockgirl 07:38 PM 11-07-2018
So did I!!
flying_babyb 08:11 PM 11-07-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I had two sibling daycare boys with this. What are the chances they both had some sort of hernia? I always wondered about it.

I think I would be inclined to wipe it with a diaper wipe and then add diaper cream to the belly button to keeo moisture out.
This is what my doctor recommenced to me the last time I ended up with a infection. Mines from a piercing that never healed.
Josiegirl 01:59 AM 11-08-2018
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
So did I!!
Phew, glad I'm not the only odd duck here. I feel validated!!
Rockgirl 06:01 AM 11-08-2018
Phew, glad I'm not the only odd duck here. I feel validated!!
Lol! I’ll admit, though, it didn’t sound very good.
Reply Up