Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Small Family Childcare (8)
littlemisssunshine 07:53 PM 06-15-2012
ok so i have a question if i have 8 kids in care two under age 2, two age 4 and four ages 2-3 years.. can i hire an assistant to help me since the ratio is over? and their would be 2 providers present? i live in CA
daycare 08:17 PM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by littlemisssunshine:
ok so i have a question if i have 8 kids in care two under age 2, two age 4 and four ages 2-3 years.. can i hire an assistant to help me since the ratio is over? and their would be 2 providers present? i live in CA
You are over your capacity if you have that many in that age group regardless if you have 20 helpers. You need to apply for a large license before you can take on more children.
Are they all there at the same time? If so you better find a way super quick to get back within the state ratios and then apply for a bigger license, which will take about 3-5 months.

With a small LiC 8- you can have 4 infants only
Or 6 children total with 3 infants and 3 over age 2

Or 8 children no more than two infants 4 over age two and two older children of 1 must be in kindergarten and one child at least age 6

Hope this helps.
littlemisssunshine 10:18 AM 06-16-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
You are over your capacity if you have that many in that age group regardless if you have 20 helpers. You need to apply for a large license before you can take on more children.
Are they all there at the same time? If so you better find a way super quick to get back within the state ratios and then apply for a bigger license, which will take about 3-5 months.

With a small LiC 8- you can have 4 infants only
Or 6 children total with 3 infants and 3 over age 2

Or 8 children no more than two infants 4 over age two and two older children of 1 must be in kindergarten and one child at least age 6

Hope this helps.
yikes... i have them already and my MIL who has a license for 14 told me this was ok to do... im so stressed about what to do right now =(
Abigail 03:05 PM 06-16-2012
When did your last kids get enrolled? That is a lot of kids to have on your own too! What type of a license do you have. Maybe you can have a friend call or you just call and not say that you do daycare and just ask what the rules about doing a licensed daycare were because you were thinking about starting. They stress to us on our rules here and it says how many kids and what ages right on the license hung on the wall.
Blackcat31 03:13 PM 06-16-2012
Originally Posted by littlemisssunshine:
Here is the link that clearly explains how many kids and what ages you are allowed to have. https://www.daycare.com/california/

I am assuming your MIL told you the wrong info becuase she is a large family care provider and you are licensed as a small family care. ??

Ratios For Daycare Centers in the State of California
Age of Children ---Child: Staff Ratio
6 weeks - 4:1
9 months - 4:1
18 months - 6:1
27 months - 6:1
3 years - 12:1
4 years - 12:1
5 years - 14:1
6 years - 14:1
7 years -14:1
8-9 years - 14:1
10 years and older - 14:1

Age Range Ratio For California Small Family Child Care
Total Number of Children Allowed: 2-6; Plus 2 School-Age Children (SAC)
Maximum Number of Children to One Provider: 8
Provider's Own Children Counted: Yes; If under age 10
Maximum Number of Infants/Toddlers to One Provider: *See note below

Age Range Ratio For California Large Family Child Care
Total Number of Children Allowed: 7-12; Plus 2 SAC
Ratio of Children to One Provider: 6:1; With no more than 4 infants
Provider's Own Children Counted: Yes; If under age 10

* California excludes child care that is provided for the children of only one family. For a small family child care home, the maximum number of children for whom care shall be provided, including children under age 10 who live in the licensee's home, is: four infants; or six children, no more than three of whom may be infants; or eight children if at least two of the children are at least 6 years of age; no more than two infants are cared for during any time when more than six children are cared for; and the licensee notifies each parent that there may be up to seven or eight children in the home at one time. During the time when there are more than 12 children in a large family child care home, no more than three infants may be present.
Reply Up