Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Calm Down Corner
daycare 08:17 AM 05-31-2017
I am required to have a calm down corner as part of my environmental rating requirements. This is supposed to be a spot that is inviting and cozy, and only has items that will help a child calm down. Like calm down jars, books, etc. This spot is where children can come and go as they please when they feel they need to calm down or are overwhelmed.

We have had this spot for years and it has worked very well, however, recently it has become the biggest headache for my staff and I.

The kids all fight over it and it has become a constant battle of telling the kids that it's not a place to store toys, play toys and or other made up games. The last game they made up, they decided to take all the blankets, pillows and stuffy and pile them on another child. Of course the child's leg got stepped on. The corner has become anything but calm.

We have had to just say go play constantly, but we are finding it's just created a very negative hot spot in our classroom instead of a calming place for children to resort to when they need it.

Any suggestions would be great.
bklsmum 08:29 AM 05-31-2017
Can you enclose it with a play yard?
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am required to have a calm down corner as part of my environmental rating requirements. This is supposed to be a spot that is inviting and cozy, and only has items that will help a child calm down. Like calm down jars, books, etc. This spot is where children can come and go as they please when they feel they need to calm down or are overwhelmed.

We have had this spot for years and it has worked very well, however, recently it has become the biggest headache for my staff and I.

The kids all fight over it and it has become a constant battle of telling the kids that it's not a place to store toys, play toys and or other made up games. The last game they made up, they decided to take all the blankets, pillows and stuffy and pile them on another child. Of course the child's leg got stepped on. The corner has become anything but calm.

We have had to just say go play constantly, but we are finding it's just created a very negative hot spot in our classroom instead of a calming place for children to resort to when they need it.

Any suggestions would be great.
Maybe make being in the calm down corner a negative thing? Perhaps any time a child goes into the calm down corner without being told explicitly to go there, they get a mark on their good behavior chart?

Spending time in the calm down spot should be a negative thing (technically) not something fun....kwim?

For example when a child is directed to the calm down area, they go, use it as required (calm down and exit the space) and that's that. But any child in the calm down area that was not directed to go there via the teacher/staff is redirected or given a consequence.

Treat it like any other "off limits" area.

That's the best I got. My calm down space is ANYWHERE the child can sit and I can still observe/supervise so nothing really specific. My belief is that if a child NEEDS a specific spot to calm down, then you better never get too far away from that space....just in case. (silly regs. sometimes they have me rolling my eyes more than Judge Judy )
daycare 08:47 AM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Maybe make being in the calm down corner a negative thing? Perhaps any time a child goes into the calm down corner without being told explicitly to go there, they get a mark on their good behavior chart?

Spending time in the calm down spot should be a negative thing (technically) not something fun....kwim?

For example when a child is directed to the calm down area, they go, use it as required (calm down and exit the space) and that's that. But any child in the calm down area that was not directed to go there via the teacher/staff is redirected or given a consequence.

Treat it like any other "off limits" area.

That's the best I got. My calm down space is ANYWHERE the child can sit and I can still observe/supervise so nothing really specific. My belief is that if a child NEEDS a specific spot to calm down, then you better never get too far away from that space....just in case. (silly regs. sometimes they have me rolling my eyes more than Judge Judy )
Thanks ladies. See it's not supposed to be used in that way. It's supposed to be used at the children's leisure where they can come and go as they please. Lets say someone hurt their feelings and they are feeling down, they can go sit and take a break there or calm down. Or maybe a kid is just overwhelmed, they can go take a break. It is not teacher directed in any way and the child dictates how long they will stay in the calm down spot/corner.

I do have a spot that is basically time out, but we call it taking a break and just like yours, mine is where ever I feel it needs to be. Inside, outside, table area, etc.
CalCare 08:49 AM 05-31-2017
I'm pretty sure the calm down corner that they want for quality environment is more like a place to relax than any sort of negative thing. Just make it for one child at a time. Make it a limit that can't be negotiated.
daycare 08:51 AM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I'm pretty sure the calm down corner that they want for quality environment is more like a place to relax than any sort of negative thing. Just make it for one child at a time. Make it a limit that can't be negotiated.
yes, I am in CA too. it is to relax and not supposed to be negative.
I think maybe I have it too big. I have it set up for about 3 kids at a time because when I had it for one kid only FCCERS said it was too small.
CalCare 09:01 AM 05-31-2017
Oh, can you do more than one small one? To make available for more children, if that is the reasoning on "too small"? Do 2 or 3 small corner spots with just a pillow or 2 each plus a little basket with the items suggested​, maybe.
daycarediva 09:25 AM 05-31-2017
I would completely redo my space, move furniture, and set new limits for the calm down area.

Call it something different. "Chill out couch" "cozy corner" whatever.

No bringing toys in/out of the space.

Only 1 child at a time.

It's ONLY for when you're upset. Upset children go there. When someone goes in the area, reinforce that "SUSIE IS UPSET! "That's a great use of the calm down space" (if really upset) OR "You look calm now, why don't you go play?" (if not upset)
Blackcat31 11:21 AM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would completely redo my space, move furniture, and set new limits for the calm down area.

Call it something different. "Chill out couch" "cozy corner" whatever.

No bringing toys in/out of the space.

Only 1 child at a time.

It's ONLY for when you're upset. Upset children go there. When someone goes in the area, reinforce that "SUSIE IS UPSET! "That's a great use of the calm down space" (if really upset) OR "You look calm now, why don't you go play?" (if not upset)
This is a good idea! ^^

I feel sorry for you providers in CA.
Here I am still allowed to discipline.
daycare 11:31 AM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is a good idea! ^^

I feel sorry for you providers in CA.
Here I am still allowed to discipline.
BC you have no idea. It's rough. BUT I am very blessed right now with great families and kids.
We can still do timeout, however it's frowned upon with our QRIS.

DIVA- yes this is exactly what I need to do. Thanks son much
AmyKidsCo 01:12 PM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Oh, can you do more than one small one? To make available for more children, if that is the reasoning on "too small"? Do 2 or 3 small corner spots with just a pillow or 2 each plus a little basket with the items suggested​, maybe.
That was my thought - create a couple of them so the kiddos won't be fighting over the on.

Also, do the regs specify HOW the space is supposed to be used, or just that you provide it? Has a child ever wanted to use it to calm down but couldn't because it was being used by other children? If that hasn't happened I wouldn't worry about it.
daycare 01:30 PM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
That was my thought - create a couple of them so the kiddos won't be fighting over the on.

Also, do the regs specify HOW the space is supposed to be used, or just that you provide it? Has a child ever wanted to use it to calm down but couldn't because it was being used by other children? If that hasn't happened I wouldn't worry about it.
we do have more than one, but we have a split wall that causes a block in supervision. So we can only use the one that is within out supervision at the time.

Yes, we have had the issue of a child wanting to use it, but there are kids playing in it and etc so the kid would come crying to me that they can't use it..It happens daily.
flying_babyb 09:30 PM 05-31-2017
we had one, it didnt work out so well! We have a cube thats open on 3 sides that the kids use for a car alot, this is also our calm down spot. If a child comes in crying, or is upset they are directed to go there, kinda a not your choice moment kwim? if theres kids in there already, they usually come out quickly, no one wants to hear tears. There is also a spot by the changing table that I use for a calm down corner, theres nothing there so the kids dont want to be there but there is a nice mat, this is ok according to state. I do let the kids bring a blanket or toy over with them to this spot
Reply Up