Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Weighted Blankets
HappyEverAfter 09:37 PM 12-15-2017
Has anyone ever used weighted blankets or weighted sleep sacks? One of my parents and I were discussing it and thinking it might be a good fit for her son. I’ve never used one so I was curious what to expect.
lovemykidstoo 06:29 AM 12-16-2017
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
Has anyone ever used weighted blankets or weighted sleep sacks? One of my parents and I were discussing it and thinking it might be a good fit for her son. I’ve never used one so I was curious what to expect.
I have not used them with the kids, but my girlfriend made my husband and I a patchwork blanket for our wedding. Had patchwork on one side plain fabric on the other, but a very heavy blanket in between. We call it the Xray blanket. Ever been to the dentist when they take pictures of your teeth and they put that heavy thing on you for the radiation protection? That's what it feels like. I sleep so much better with that heavy blanket on, so I imagine a child would love it and it would make them sleep better too!
Cat Herder 06:59 AM 12-17-2017
I use one occasionally to ease pain, fasciculations and spasticity associated with neuro issues. It does help, maybe just placebo effect, but I will take that gladly. . It can also cause overheating and worsening of symptoms, so it should be used for a short period of time.

The biggest risk I see in using it with children would be limiting chest wall movement risking respiratory compromise. I would have the parents talk to his pediatrician first.
HappyEverAfter 08:22 AM 12-17-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I use one occasionally to ease pain, fasciculations and spasticity associated with neuro issues. It does help, maybe just placebo effect, but I will take that gladly. . It can also cause overheating and worsening of symptoms, so it should be used for a short period of time.

The biggest risk I see in using it with children would be limiting chest wall movement risking respiratory compromise. I would have the parents talk to his pediatrician first.

Oh I would most definitely need the parent to get approval from the pediatrician!
sharlan 06:38 PM 12-17-2017
I made each of my grandsons one a couple of years ago. Not sure how the 9 yo uses it, but the 10 yo uses when he feels the need.

He takes it when he flies, goes on a vacation, or when things in life get too stressful. He only uses it for short periods of time, though. I think like 30 mins at a time or so. It's on his bed but he doesn't sleep with it.

My dd says it really made a difference.
Luvnmykidz 10:57 AM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
My daughter used one and a weighted vest or lap pad during therapy (occupational therapy) sessions when she was younger. There was a significant change in her ability to focus and fidget less with it. Occasionally in preschool she used one during rest time. I have known other kids to use them as well and for children with sensory issues they have proven to be helpful. Be sure to make sure the weight is appropriate for the child and that’s it’s not too heavy. Her therapist weighed her and ordered the blanket on the basis of that.
Tags:sensory issues, weighted blankets
Reply Up