Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 1/2 Yr Old Throwing Dishes In The Trash
mac60 09:08 AM 02-13-2012
I have a 3 1/2 yr old, very defiant, doesn't listen. Time outs do nothing.

Thursday, he threw his sandwich in the trash at lunch. I found out when his mom picked up and he told her. I heard him say it to her, and I said you "What??". "We don't throw food in the trash, ever." Mom said nothing.

Today, I made homemade beef n noodles over mashed potatoes and corn. He ate the corn. I told him a couple times to quite messing around and eat. I stepped out of the kitchen into the dining room, heard the trash can close, he was now in the daycare room. I looked at the table, no plate, opened the trash lid and he had thrown the food/plate/silverware in the trash can and got up and went to play. OMG, I am peed off. You don't do that Ever. I had this conversation with him about throwing food in the trash on Friday morning after the incident on Thursday, explaining we don't do that ever. He is old enough to know better and to understand that we don't do that ever.

This behavior is not acceptable. I will be telling the mom, I am sure she won't have much to say.
morgan24 09:27 AM 02-13-2012
I would give him finger foods and a paper plate with very small portions and by small portions I mean teaspoon size. If he throws it away that's his problem if he's hungry. Snack would be something very healthy like raw veggies.

I have a 3 year old that will throw out his plate when he is done. At least his plate is empty. He has to dig it out of the trash at least twice a week.
MissAnn 09:32 AM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:

Thursday, he threw his sandwich in the trash at lunch. I found out when his mom picked up and he told her. I heard him say it to her, and I said you "What??". "We don't throw food in the trash, ever." Mom said nothing.

Today, I made homemade beef n noodles over mashed potatoes and corn. He ate the corn. I told him a couple times to quite messing around and eat. I stepped out of the kitchen into the dining room, heard the trash can close, he was now in the daycare room. I looked at the table, no plate, opened the trash lid and he had thrown the food/plate/silverware in the trash can and got up and went to play. OMG, I am peed off. You don't do that Ever. I had this conversation with him about throwing food in the trash on Friday morning after the incident on Thursday, explaining we don't do that ever. He is old enough to know better and to understand that we don't do that ever.

This behavior is not acceptable. I will be telling the mom, I am sure she won't have much to say.
I bought a dishpan and when all the kids are done....I send the dishpan down the table. They put their dishes in. I can then throw away what I want in the garbage and then put what I want in the compost. My kids used to throw dishes and silverware away all the time! Even when I bought nice sectioned trays...they threw them away! This solved it all for me.
mac60 09:42 AM 02-13-2012
This kid is not doing this to be helpful, he is doing it because he doesn't want to eat what is served. This is the second time in 3 days. It is not ok. The kids have never cleaned up their dishes, when they are done they are allowed to get up and I do all the cleaning up.
wdmmom 09:48 AM 02-13-2012
This kid is not doing this to be helpful, he is doing it because he doesn't want to eat what is served. This is the second time in 3 days. It is not ok. The kids have never cleaned up their dishes, when they are done they are allowed to get up and I do all the cleaning up.
How is he getting away from the table without you noticing??

I'd consider moving the trash can, gating off the kitchen if you are in another room, or just sticking the trash can outside or in the garage during mealtimes. I know it's a hassle but it sure beats digging in the trash or replacing dinnerware.
mac60 09:59 AM 02-13-2012
This kid just started doing this last week. He is 3 1/2. He knows it is wrong. He has been talked to and it has been discussed. I will not move my trash can. I heard the lid come down. Once the kids are done eating they go from table back to daycare room which is open to the kitchen. I am not the one that will be doing anything different.

When they are done eating, they are allowed to get up, because some of them take what seems like forever to eat, while others eat and are done.
wdmmom 10:39 AM 02-13-2012
If you aren't willing to do anything different, don't expect much for results.

You can talk to this kid until your blue in the face. He knows he's not going to get in trouble and doesn't care what the consequence is. Talking is just words.

The paper plate idea with little bits of food is a great idea but it is going to take some effort on your part to stop this from happening...whether that be direct supervision of him over mealtime, moving the trashcan, paper plates, etc.

You taking control and changing things up might just be the key to him changing his ways.
Meeko 10:45 AM 02-13-2012
We eat family style with our day care kids. We all sit down and eat together. (Sometimes, my son and I will just sit with them and we order something yummy and bad for us after they are asleep!) But we never leave the table while they eat. I think it's important to have conversation at the meal table. I know too many of them eat in front of the tv or alone when they are at home.

If someone is done, they just sit and have conversation with us until everyone else is done. Then, they are all excused together and throw away their plates, spoons etc. (I use disposable everything and claim it on my taxes.) Clean up takes seconds. The only dishes I wash are the serving dishes if I use them. I often use disposable foil containers.

I do not bother about how much each child eats. That is completely up to them. All I am required to do is OFFER the food. I am paid for it whether they eat it or not.

Gone are the days of plates and spoons in the trash, worries about how much they have eaten etc. Mealtimes are smooth and easy for the most part. New kids have to learn the rules and we have a few tantrums about wanting to leave the table after 30 seconds etc. but they soon learn.
frugalmama4 09:40 AM 02-13-2012

Good Morning Mac60,

I've been having a similar problem too with my 3yr old and 18mo old dck's.
But first my solution for you
1). Maybe get a trash can with a latch(seen at target/wal-mart)

2). Hide the trash can from him... you will catch him in the act.

3). Maybe give him smaller portions (very small, I to hate waste)

4). Lastly tell mom she will have to start bring his meals...she'll have something to say then.

Hope it gets better soon!

Their siblings and when the older one is done eating the youngest wants to throw out her food too even though she not done! The other issue I have is with the 3yr old and my own 5yr old playing and talking way to much at the table "I mean I love that they talk among themselves" but not to the point it holds up our daily routine. I've been thinking about timing snack and lunch time w/a kitchen timer. I'm on the food program which state's I have to allow 2 hours for feedings "that's crazy...way to long". So I plan to use the timer the same way the schools here do (when the kids get to loud, they flicker the lights on/off) when it's time to wrap it up they lower the lights and blow the whistle...I never seen kids eat so fast What do you think?
Tags:3 year old, bad behavior
Reply Up