Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Disposable or Dishwasher Dishes
originalkat 04:57 PM 01-14-2010
I was just curious how many providers use disposable dishes versus regular plates/cups/utensils?
I use paper plates for meals but use regular cups and utensils.
gbcc 05:03 PM 01-14-2010
It depends. If I have a full house I use disposable all the way! If I only have a few kids I use school trays, plastic cups, and children silverware. Sometimes if my dishwasher is full and I'm too lazy to run right then I will use disposable.
mac60 05:04 PM 01-14-2010
I use regular dishes 9 out of 10 times. Paper plates only occassionally.
I also went to plastic silverware for the dckids, as they kept banging the real stuff into my tabletop. I just wash the plastic over and over and don't dispose of it. We typically run the dishwasher 1 time per day.
Former Teacher 05:15 PM 01-14-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I also went to plastic silverware for the dckids, as they kept banging the real stuff into my tabletop. I just wash the plastic over and over and don't dispose of it. We typically run the dishwasher 1 time per day.
Hey Mac, where you are at, isn't against state law to reuse disposeable silverware? In TX if you must throw out single use items. Of course we didn't. Only when state was there
momofsix 05:33 PM 01-14-2010
I always use real plates & cups. got cute little fork/spoons that have animal shapes on the handles at the dollar store, and sectioned plates on clearance at the end of summer. Much cheaper imo than using paper!
momma2girls 05:35 PM 01-14-2010
I use all real plates, silverware, and cups as well. I have all character plates, cups, and silverware. The children just love to see which one they have that day. I have cars, barbie, lion king, my little pony, hello kitty, spiderman, and more!!
tymaboy 05:46 PM 01-14-2010
I do not use any disposable stuff. The closest thing to disposable are those plastic cups with the snap on lids that are really cheap (found in the baby isle) I have the plastic kids utensils for the kids (baby isle) At the end of the day we run the dish washer.
Chickenhauler 10:44 PM 01-14-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I threatened to feed them only bologna sammiches and other finger food if they continued to gouge the kitchen table up with silverware.

The littler ones get plastic, and the older ones lose theirs if the can't behave.
Unregistered 05:25 AM 01-15-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
bologna sammiches

Lol!! The last time I heard it call a sammich was when my grandfather was alive and he had his dentures out. Too funny!!
DBug 07:14 AM 01-15-2010
I have several sets of the Ikea plates, bowls, cutlery and cups, along with the Nuby sippy cups (because they're available in the same solid colours). Each kid has their own colour, and they can tell where to sit at the table by looking for their colour. The kids each use one cup the whole day, kept on a tray in the kitchen. The only disposables I use for daycare are napkins instead of plates at snacktime (about half the time). The Ikea stuff is so much cheaper and alot more durable than the dollar store even. I've got 6 kids through the day, and a family of 5 at night and it usually only takes one dishwasher load each day.
mac60 07:22 AM 01-15-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Hey Mac, where you are at, isn't against state law to reuse disposeable silverware? In TX if you must throw out single use items. Of course we didn't. Only when state was there

I have never heard of this before. After children poking those beside them, hitting with the silverware, etc, I went to plastic. I don't understand, how does that spoon or fork know it has been used before????lol

Wouldn't surprise me though that some dumb butt came up with yet another stupid law. Along the same lines,,,,,,we refill bottled water containers, or a gatorade container, to take to class, in the car, etc. My son filled 2 apple juice containers (1/2 gal size) and took it to his mowing job this summer. I have a hard time believing that can be bad for you, if it is, it probably was the first time you used the container.
wejo928 11:53 AM 01-15-2010
In PA we can use disposable as long as it is not foam plates, cups or bowls.

I personally prefer the take & toss plates, plastic wear, cups & bowls. I keep a dishpan in my sink and wash after every use. Each child has their own color. And cups have training lids, straws or no lids as they grow. They are inexspensive and last long.
GretasLittleFriends 05:53 PM 01-15-2010
Sometimes I think paper plates are the way to go considering our dishwasher is usually my 14 yr old daughter. However, I just can't see spending the $$ each month to buy the stuff. Sure we go through more dish soap, but the added cost of dish soap compared to the cost of disposable dishware, I guess I'd just rather do the dishes. I know it'd be tax deductible, but still, I guess I'm cheap.
AmandasFCC 06:43 PM 01-15-2010
I have a set of Correll dishes that I use with the daycare kids .. the ones that are supposedly super resistant to drops? I picked them up second hand for dirt cheap. I run my dishwasher once a day as well.
Persephone 05:10 AM 01-16-2010
I picked up plastic divided plates super cheap at the end of the summer this past year. I think I paid about $.25 each for them. So I use them. If things are crazy or my dishwasher is already full I might use paper that day. If I even find re-usable plastic ware cheap, I'll buy those too, and use them in place of the silverware.
originalkat 07:33 PM 01-16-2010
Like I said before, I use paper plates. The cost is about 10 dollars per month.
melissa ann 09:34 AM 01-17-2010
I use plastic plates, cups, bowls, utensils. The utensils have animals shapes at the end. I get a bunch of stuff at the dollar tree and a bargain store owned by Mennoites. I can get Juicy Juice for $1.35 (the big alum. can size), and chef boyaree for under a dollar/can. I love it there. I never had a dishwasher. So doing dishes is no big deal to me. I'm getting the 4 yr dcb and my 5 yr dd to help dry dishes after lunch. I just can't imagine throwing away all the paper plates in the trash. I've been a big recycler since I was 15 or so. (So for about 22 yrs) It just comes natural for me. For things that can't be recylced, like yougurt, margarine tubs etc. I keep those for craft projects.
Former Teacher 10:24 AM 01-17-2010
At my former center we used all the disposable stuff...paper plates, spoons etc. As I commented earlier, we were SUPPOSE to throw the single service items away after use but we never did. The only time we ever did was when either state was there, spoons were yucky, or when we had a virus going around.

We used the regular white spoons however once we had the silverware with the animals. That didnt last long. The children eventually started to throw those away with their plates.

We used paper plates. However to save money the director bought a whole bunch of plastic plates that had the 3 compartments and very durable. However those didnt last either since whoever was in the kitchen that day didnt feel like washing ALL those plates (we had no dishwasher). So it was back to paper.
sweetcinna 10:53 AM 01-17-2010
I know you guys will think I'm crazy but........I buy the children their own stuff. Everyday they use their own lil cup and their own lil plate and their own sliver! When they come to my care i buy them their own "special stuff" to use at Ms. Cinnas and when they leave my care they take it with them. I know crazy huh!
Unregistered 12:18 PM 01-17-2010
Originally Posted by sweetcinna:
I know you guys will think I'm crazy but........I buy the children their own stuff. Everyday they use their own lil cup and their own lil plate and their own silver! When they come to my care i buy them their own "special stuff" to use at Ms. Cinnas and when they leave my care they take it with them. I know crazy huh!
That is a super sweet idea. If I didn't think it would cause a good deal of infighting I might try it.
I use cute little divided trays and silver. I have different colored small cups, but I have to be careful about who gets what colors or there may be a throw down, but I like how the different colors gets them talking about colors.
sweetcinna 07:11 AM 01-18-2010
I also buy them a special nap time blankie too!!
gbcc 09:17 AM 01-18-2010
Originally Posted by sweetcinna:
I know you guys will think I'm crazy but........I buy the children their own stuff. Everyday they use their own lil cup and their own lil plate and their own sliver! When they come to my care i buy them their own "special stuff" to use at Ms. Cinnas and when they leave my care they take it with them. I know crazy huh!
I do this as well. I have trays that have dividers, like cafeteria style. They have matching cups and silverware. Like I said, I will use paper once in awhile but when I don't they get these. The only difference is when they leave my care they don't take them. They get recycled to another new child. With this economy the way my parents keep loosing their jobs, all my money would go out the door!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:10 AM 01-18-2010
I have cafeteria trays, blue tupperware luncheon plates, some red plastic plates and some plastic 3 space divider ones. I use what ever Im in the mood for that day. lol. But I never use disposable. Either silverware or dishes. I think the first time a child banged the spoons on the table or tray I would tell them it was bad manners, the second I would feed them myself, the third I would remove them from the table.
momma2girls 11:56 AM 01-18-2010
The only time I use disposable items, is when we do a picnic. Then I always use disposable everything!!
Unregistered 02:42 PM 08-10-2011
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
I use all real plates, silverware, and cups as well. I have all character plates, cups, and silverware. The children just love to see which one they have that day. I have cars, barbie, lion king, my little pony, hello kitty, spiderman, and more!!
where do you get the dishes for a reasonable price
MNMum 03:06 PM 08-11-2011
Ikea dishes and toddler silverware from garage sales. Cloth napkins, wipes and towels, too. I repurpose old t-shirts and flannel baby blankets for the napkins and wipes.
MG&Lsmom 04:08 PM 08-11-2011
Ikea plates and bowls, cups for the big ones. I use cheap, cheap cups from Walmart with the straw built into the side for water. Everyone has their own color.

I will use paper if I'm feeling particularly lazy and can use the super cheap paper plates without them becoming a mess and soggy.
SandeeAR 05:16 PM 08-11-2011
I use paper a lot when doing prep, grilled cheese, cutting up fish sticks, cooling veggies. I have all littles, so a lot of theirs is just put on the booster chair tray. When I use dishes, I have all plastic, tri divided plates, suction bowls and kids styled "real" plastic spoons and sporks. We are all still at the sippy cup stage.
nannyde 04:12 AM 08-12-2011
I don't use paper products for meals. Just dishes and kiddy cups.. silverware.
mac60 04:18 AM 08-12-2011
I bought service for 12 from IKEA in the children's dept. $1.99 for 6 of everything. Covers me for the whole day. I also will buy paper plates when on sale at $.99 for 150, then I use them.
daysofelijah 04:48 AM 08-12-2011
I've always used washable, except if we go on a picnic. I can't imagine throwing away that much garbage everyday, I cringe when I hear that!

I use the melamine trays from target (not the $1 kind, they don't last) and IKEA cups and bowls, regular or take n toss silverware. (I re-use the take and toss stuff.)
wdmmom 05:20 AM 08-12-2011
I bought some 5 section trays (like school lunch trays) for lunches. They work great and fit in the dishwasher.

We use those for lunches. Breakfast is usually served on a paper plate or paper towel and snack is served usually on a paper towel.
Crazy8 05:22 AM 08-12-2011
I use paper plates when needed but I don't provide meals so its only occassionally when a parent sends something in a container that would be better served on a plate. Kids all use plastic spill proof cups, and I use that take n' toss toddler silverware.
kimsdaycare 05:27 AM 08-12-2011
I use Corelle and child-size stainless silverware for daycare. When I got them my poor DH was soooo sick of me showing him my cute little divided plates and mini bowls. I love that they don't blow around in the dishwasher like my plastic ones did.

I use Tupperware straw seal cups for drinks and every child has their own color. I have accumulated quite the collection of them because I became obsessed with buying every color I could find lol!

I will use paper if I have a particularly full day and even use coffee filters to hold snack crackers or grapes if I'm reallly feeling lazy
Meeko 07:36 AM 08-12-2011
I use disposable everything! Cups, silverware, plates and bowls.

We have 16 kids and the dishwasher would go all day if we used regular dishware. I would spend more on water and detergent than I do on paper products!
Tags:correll, cups, dishes, dishwasher, disposable, plastic, plates, silverware, utensils
Reply Up