Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Those That Do Preschool
DCMomOf3 10:35 AM 01-26-2011
What ages are you doing it for? I have 3 almost 2-yos and I am having trouble getting them to sit still for any amount of time (unless it's glue or paint) or take in any of what I'm saying. I really want to to preschool time with them but just son't seem ready.
lvt77 10:40 AM 01-26-2011
at this age most kids cannot sit for any lenght of time... I would think about doing lessons that involve movement. Hokey pokey, jumpping 10 times, dramatic play, lots of reading with movement...books like from head to toe by eric carle...Love this book...
also art and playdough....kids can do it for hours on end..

I can think of others and send to you if you wish...
Unregistered 10:43 AM 01-26-2011
I taught preschool for a few years and have from 21 months- 2.5 yrs at my home daycare. None of them sit for any length of time so we do one "project" or learning game everyday for approx 10-20 min. Then they play for a while and later we read a few books as a group and do a song or two.

I always do the project right after breakfast when the older ones leave for school. That way they are already in their chairs. We do not do a structured craft where it needs to look like something. We color, use colored pencils, markers etc, we practice cutting with squizzers (scissors for very young ones), we paint (finger, brush, watercolor, plain water) and we play games together. We also do playdough, stringing straws, music instuments, guitars etc. All these things teach preschool skills and work on paitence and listening so I consider that our preschool time. Today we played match the mitten. I got out a box of misc mittens (and brought theirs upstairs) we mixed them all up then each child had a turn finding a match. When we were done we threw them on the parachute and bounced the mittens up in the air. Total time 15 min max. Then I left the mittens out for the kids to match at free choice.

I find it hard at this age because you want to be offering preschool and doing skills work but they are just too little and they get frustrated if you push too hard.
WImom 10:46 AM 01-26-2011
Ages 2-5y is the ages I do preschool with. I actually chose to only care for those ages to make it easier on me. I'd say keep trying every few weeks? Even my 2 year olds have trouble sitting sometimes.
DCMomOf3 10:47 AM 01-26-2011
I do do a lot of what you two do. I guess I'm just anxious for them to be ready for more structured things.
lvt77 10:48 AM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I taught preschool for a few years and have from 21 months- 2.5 yrs at my home daycare. None of them sit for any length of time so we do one "project" or learning game everyday for approx 10-20 min. Then they play for a while and later we read a few books as a group and do a song or two.

I always do the project right after breakfast when the older ones leave for school. That way they are already in their chairs. We do not do a structured craft where it needs to look like something. We color, use colored pencils, markers etc, we practice cutting with squizzers (scissors for very young ones), we paint (finger, brush, watercolor, plain water) and we play games together. We also do playdough, stringing straws, music instuments, guitars etc. All these things teach preschool skills and work on paitence and listening so I consider that our preschool time. Today we played match the mitten. I got out a box of misc mittens (and brought theirs upstairs) we mixed them all up then each child had a turn finding a match. When we were done we threw them on the parachute and bounced the mittens up in the air. Total time 15 min max. Then I left the mittens out for the kids to match at free choice.

I find it hard at this age because you want to be offering preschool and doing skills work but they are just too little and they get frustrated if you push too hard.
fantastic lessons.... I love them and think I am going to steal the mitten idea with the parachute!!
I also try to tell the parents that at this age it is the process, not the product.....
momofthree 11:22 AM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

I do alot of this too.
Tags:preschool
Reply Up