Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Giving Copy of ID Safe or Not

I have a question i have been getting recently brandnew family's is if they can take a photo of my id or have a copy.is that ok something u would do or not safe.The first person had my full name from a Facebook ad and had my adress from coming by so i sent a picture but blocked out the id numbers.Second person that came today and asked for a copy i dont have copys so he took a picture of it.I understand they want to know for sure who has there kids but wasnt sure about it.would love your opinions
Old 11-27-2019, 11:49 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

I wouldn't give a copy of my ID.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:06 AM
Daycare.com Member

Iíve never had anyone ask for a copy of my ID, and thatís not something I would provide either.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:38 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

The only thing they would need my ID for would be a criminal background check. I would ask them what they needed my ID for and then tell them that I will get the background check for them (if you don’t already have it and if that is what they needed it for) but that I do not give out my ID to strangers.

Just like they don’t know who has their kids, you don’t know them either! Keep your information safe.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:30 PM

Are you licensed? If so they need only have a copy of your license or your license number.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:06 PM

I have never been asked for my ID, how odd. There is not a chance I'd give it, either. My license is posted and available online at the State website along with all of the inspection reports.

Can you give them a link to your state listing, instead?
Old 12-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith

No way am I giving a client a copy or pic of my ID. Any information they need is on my license, which is publicly displayed and a matter of public record.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:34 PM
Daycare.com Member

I am curious, and it's likely due to my lack of knowledge on this subject - please tell me your thoughts.

When you test drive a car, you have to leave your DL/ID.
When you tour an apartment complex, you have to leave your DL/ID.

Why do most people do those willingly, but not give a copy to a parent?
Old 12-02-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
I am curious, and it's likely due to my lack of knowledge on this subject - please tell me your thoughts.

The heightened risk of identity theft. Giving birth/impregnating someone does not make one a trustworthy person.

I also have never been asked to leave my license with a car dealership or apartment complex, only my car keys. Why would anyone drive willingly without their license on them?
Old 12-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post

15 years ago, I worked as a leasing agent for an apartment complex. We did this (left the ID of the person getting a tour in our locked office when we left). It was because if something happened to us and we didn't return, this is the person we were last with. It was a security measure for us. But honestly, it was pointless. ID;s are stolen all the time. Plus, if someone really wants to hurt you, they will with or without their ID.
We just bought a car last year. They copied our DL before the test drive.

So ultimately, I get what you're saying.
But I still wouldn't do it. All daycare information is already public. If they wanted to check my state ID with a brief hand-hand inspection, no problem.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post

I also have never been asked to leave my license with a car dealership or apartment complex, only my car keys. Why would anyone drive willingly without their license on them?
Generally they take a copy before you drive away. In case you steal their car, they can file a police report and know who you are.

We are required to take a copy of DL every time someone finances a vehicle in my line of work. I've never had someone question it.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
The heightened risk of identity theft. Giving birth/impregnating someone does not make one a trustworthy person.

Touche

That is interesting regarding the DL. Whenever I have been car shopping they always take a copy of my DL before test driving. Now that I type that out that may be to verify that the driver is actually licensed duh.

I used to be a leasing agent and we always had to take a prospective resident's DL/ID and hold it in the office while we were touring with them. Anytime I was the prospective resident at different communities I also had to leave mine. Maybe it's a regional thing.

FWIW: I am certainly not judging anyone for not wanting to give a parent a copy of their DL. I wouldn't want to either. Just wondering why it's okay in some situations but not in others.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

Funny - all 3 of us posted within a minute of one another.

It makes sense. I was just curious
Old 12-02-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom View Post
Generally they take a copy before you drive away. In case you steal their car, they can file a police report and know who you are.

We are required to take a copy of DL every time someone finances a vehicle in my line of work. I've never had someone question it.
Where I live they won't allow anyone to test drive without the salesman going with. Credit checks for financing I fully get.

A potential daycare client wanting a copy of my license, nope. Not happening. I'm a cops daughter.

Tags
personal information, personal safety