Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Safe Sleep Changes
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 12-18-2013
I went to a training last night and we were provided with new materials about safe sleep for PNP's. This is following on the heels of the changes that were made for crib use.

We were given a handout stating EXACTLY what specifications a PNP must meet in order for us to use them. We were told this would be a regulation in MN early next year. (some counties are enforcing it now)

Here is the specs were got:

Play yards that meet the new safety standard must have:

The next item up for review of safety standards are the infant attachments that go on PNP's. They will be reviewed and regulated soon

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2011-0064-0030
BumbleBee 08:41 AM 12-18-2013
I'm hoping with the new regs the mattresses in the pnp will be made so that they don't create a gap between the side & the mattress when you put a sheet on it.

I have 3 pnp's and ALL of them do this. They are attached to the bottom correctly, use specific sheets for the brand, have tried using off brand, other brands, etc.

Regs state I have to have a sheet on it and it's really frustrating!
Leigh 09:05 AM 12-18-2013
My state adopted these regs this year, the nice part was that they also PROVIDED us with 1 new crib and 2 new pack-n-plays!

I buy sheets at ShopKo, they are jersey knit...they are not perfect, but have worked better than any of the others I have tried.
Maria2013 09:33 AM 12-18-2013
I have 3 fairly new ones and was thinking of replacing them because the mat doesn't have sawing to keep the cardboard sections in place, so now there is a fold in the fabric in all 3 of them....I guess I'll wait till someone recommends some
Blackcat31 09:44 AM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
My state adopted these regs this year, the nice part was that they also PROVIDED us with 1 new crib and 2 new pack-n-plays!

I buy sheets at ShopKo, they are jersey knit...they are not perfect, but have worked better than any of the others I have tried.
Wow! That is awesome that they provided them to you!

I am just sad because I found a couple of the JMason pack and plays that NannyDe swears by and they ARE fantastic but will no longer be acceptable for use them anymore
Angelsj 09:44 AM 12-18-2013
I bought some from here that go on the mattresses like pillow cases. No more bunching up and the sheet stays on.
Angelsj 09:46 AM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I went to a training last night and we were provided with new materials about safe sleep for PNP's. This is following on the heels of the changes that were made for crib use.

We were given a handout stating EXACTLY what specifications a PNP must meet in order for us to use them. We were told this would be a regulation in MN early next year. (some counties are enforcing it now)

Here is the specs were got:

Play yards that meet the new safety standard must have:
  • Side rails that do not form a sharp V when the product is folded. This prevents a child from strangling in the side rail.
  • Stronger corner brackets to prevent sharp-edged cracks and to prevent a side-rail collapse.
  • Sturdier mattress attachments to the play yard floor to prevent children from getting trapped or hurt.

The next item up for review of safety standards are the infant attachments that go on PNP's. They will be reviewed and regulated soon

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2011-0064-0030
I don't find that to be very clear. What does "stronger corner brackets" and "Sturdier mattress attachments" actually mean?
And I can't make mine collapse on the side to check it. I will have to get one of my kids to do it.
daycarediva 10:52 AM 12-18-2013
I just donated my last pack and play. All kids now go straight to mats for naps. (18m+ so this is feasible).
Reply Up