Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas For Playroom Bathroom Covering Besides Door
small_steps 04:59 AM 10-28-2013
Adding a half bath to my playroom and looking for ideas to give privacy besides building walls and a door.....thinking maybe a half wall or shower curtain. Any other ideas?
I want to go as inexpensive as possible while still allowing the kids privacy. The sink will not have to be behind a Curtain or door.
Thanks in advance for any ideas
MamaBearCanada 05:08 AM 10-28-2013
I am just wondering if licensing will consider it a "bathroom" if it does not have walls and a door and will classify it as a toilet in the playroom. I am legally unlicensed so I don't know what they ask for but the thought crossed my mind that they might not consider a half wall or shower curtain a bathroom and I didn't know if that setup would be approved.
small_steps 05:14 AM 10-28-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
I am just wondering if licensing will consider it a "bathroom" if it does not have walls and a door and will classify it as a toilet in the playroom. I am legally unlicensed so I don't know what they ask for but the thought crossed my mind that they might not consider a half wall or shower curtain a bathroom and I didn't know if that setup would be approved.
I will contact my licensor and ask but I remember another daycare in town that used curtains as a door and it was actually a center so I think it will be ok for my home but that is a good point and I will double check
Mom2TLE 05:31 AM 10-28-2013
How about making it into a stall 4 ft partitions on each side and a colorful curtain on the front. Tall enough for privacy yet you can still check on them.
small_steps 05:38 AM 10-28-2013
Originally Posted by Mom2TLE:
How about making it into a stall 4 ft partitions on each side and a colorful curtain on the front. Tall enough for privacy yet you can still check on them.
I guess I should be more descriptive...it will have at least two full siZe walls...I will see if I can add a picture...ok I think I added a pic.
I guess I'm just wondering if a round shower curtain rod and a cute curtain to cover the front would be sufficient in your opinion..

Since it has the two walls the four partitions wouldn't work...I could always come out with a third half wall partition or something and use a curtain rod and curtain as a door.

Sorry! I've had no caffeine yet so my thinking isn't straight! Lol
Attached: image.jpg (95.0 KB) 
countrymom 06:52 AM 10-28-2013
I would build the walls. Also, put a door on it. I have kids who play (sneak) into my bathroom if the door is not closed and play in the toilet, take things off the shelf, open the shower door. the licensor may say that it can be a hazard for drownings.
Rachel 07:38 AM 10-28-2013
I would also build a door. I would be very nervous from a safety point of view to have a toilet the kids could get to.
jenboo 08:39 AM 10-28-2013
I would do a half door. That way littles can't sneak in to play and it gives some privacy. I wouldnt be too concerned about privacy. I have never worked in a center that had doors/ stall doors on the bathrooms. The kids have never complained. I think a half door at your home will be fine.
daycarediva 09:11 AM 10-28-2013
Licensing here wouldn't allow a curtain, it would have to be a full door, not even 1/2 as that is a privacy concern (parents have access to my playroom and could see a child using the restroom). The door is a safety feature, as it takes only 1/2" of water to drown a child.

I used the walk in closet in our front room as the daycare 1/2 bath. I have a little potty, short sink (no stool needed) and am adding a urinal ASAP.
daycarediva 09:12 AM 10-28-2013
Also wanted to say it MUST have adequate ventilation here per regs. I had to install a commercial grade fan for a 5x6 area.
Heidi 09:25 AM 10-28-2013
I agree with the half door. It depends on your regs, but honestly, a 4 year old does not need "privacy" more than they need supervision. Well, a 4 year old SHOULD be ok without supervision, but not so much a 2.

A 4 ft high door would allow you to do a visual check, keep toddlers out, and yet should prevent a visitor who's in the room from easily looking in. At 4 feet, you'd have to stand right there to see over it...I don't think from across the room you could.
itlw8 12:19 PM 10-28-2013
remember if you ever sell your house you would need to either rip it all out of build the rest of the walls and door. I would do it right the first time... Besides when the kids are over 4 they need privacy. And what about you Are you going to use it with a curtain?
Reply Up