Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Open Carry
Sunchimes 07:39 AM 01-24-2016
I'm not debating the pros/cons of this, because the fact is that it is now legal in my state.

Our WM is the "place to go" in our little bitty rural town. I haven't seen anyone carrying yet, but my husband has seen a couple.

I only keep 2 kids, and they are more like grandkids than formal daycare kids. When I need to run errands, they go with me. So, I know it is just a matter of time before we are face to face with someone carrying. I'm waffling between ignoring it and going on with my errand and wanting to get the kids as far away as possible as quickly as possible. Overreacting? It feels like it. But at the same time, gun restrictions for home daycare are very explicit and strongly worded. If they were my grandkids, I'd probably ignore it and go on.

For those that have this new law, how do you handle it when the daycare kids are with you? Or how would you suggest I handle it? I'm legally unlicensed, so I don't really have anyone to ask.
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 01-24-2016
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I'm not debating the pros/cons of this, because the fact is that it is now legal in my state.

Our WM is the "place to go" in our little bitty rural town. I haven't seen anyone carrying yet, but my husband has seen a couple.

I only keep 2 kids, and they are more like grandkids than formal daycare kids. When I need to run errands, they go with me. So, I know it is just a matter of time before we are face to face with someone carrying. I'm waffling between ignoring it and going on with my errand and wanting to get the kids as far away as possible as quickly as possible. Overreacting? It feels like it. But at the same time, gun restrictions for home daycare are very explicit and strongly worded. If they were my grandkids, I'd probably ignore it and go on.

For those that have this new law, how do you handle it when the daycare kids are with you? Or how would you suggest I handle it? I'm legally unlicensed, so I don't really have anyone to ask.
The kids are only going to notice and make a big deal out of if you do.

How do you handle it when you see a police officer or a detective (generally in street clothing) carrying?

Its not like those that open carry sling rifles over their shoulders and parade around with them.

If it really bothers you, let the parents know you may potentially see people open carry and ask them to talk with their kids prior to this or ask them what they'd like you to say or how they'd like you to handle it.
Sunchimes 07:54 AM 01-24-2016
The kids are wobblers, so I'm not as concerned about their perspective as I am the ones carrying. We have some real "characters" around here. (I worked in law enforcement for many years, and trust me, if someone crossed their eyes in their direction, they would threaten them.)

But, from a daycare responsibility view, I have to keep guns out of sight/reach in my home, but not in public? I can just see me passing someone in the aisle and one of my kids reaching for it. I may have too vivid an imagination when it comes to thinking ahead.

Thanks.
Laurel 08:37 AM 01-24-2016

I wouldn't shop there with them along.
Josiegirl 08:55 AM 01-24-2016
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I wouldn't shop there with them along.
But you'll end up meeting people anywhere who are carrying. I'd rather know they've got them and I can see them than wondering, KWIM? You cannot avoid them everywhere. Personally, I feel it's not the ones who are carrying openly that are the problem. And I probably wouldn't even bring it up. Or you could say something to dcp....'In light of the recent law changes concerning carrying guns openly, would you prefer I keep your child home instead of going to places such as WM'. Or something like that. And you might even want to get their permission in writing as one can never be too careful in this biz.

You know, after thinking about it a bit more, I think I'm with Laurel on this one. I wouldn't risk the liability of anything happening. Too many what-if situations race through my head. If you're the unlucky one to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, the person carrying the weapon might be extremely trustworthy but what about that other guy edging up to him inconspicuously to grab that gun and start firing. See? That's how my mind thinks. If it were me, I'd run ordinary errands for when dcks aren't there.
Blackcat31 09:36 AM 01-24-2016

But, from a daycare responsibility view, I have to keep guns out of sight/reach in my home, but not in public? .
Because public and home (private) have two VERY different a rules of authority and liability.
I have a completely different set of obligations in public than I do in private. It's apples and oranges.

I can just see me passing someone in the aisle and one of my kids reaching for it. I may have too vivid an imagination when it comes to thinking ahead.
Seriously? I don't mean this rudely but if one of your DCK's would reach out to grab someone's gun, I think they should stay home and not be allowed to attend ANY outings with you for more reasons/risks than potentially grabbing someone's gun.
Sunchimes 09:39 AM 01-24-2016
That's how my mind works too, Josie. WM is pretty much the only game in town. If I don't go there, the only other options are the farm stores or antique stores. ;-)

The kids love getting out and have their own fan club up there.

Maybe I should talk to the parents. One set of them are hunters, but the other set is more the other way.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Blackcat31 09:39 AM 01-24-2016
Do you know the rules for open carry?

No bullet in chamber
Strap over hammer
Safety ON

It's not like someone can just grab and go ....
Josiegirl 11:17 AM 01-24-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you know the rules for open carry?

No bullet in chamber
Strap over hammer
Safety ON

It's not like someone can just grab and go ....
Really? I had no clue. Is there a point to be able to carry a gun then? 'Excuse me sir, while you're mugging me, I need to load my gun so I can protect myself.'
I've never had a gun or even held a gun so really don't know anything at all about them but simply carrying one and having to fish for a bullet just doesn't make sense. Reminds me of Barney Fyfe(spelling is off I know)
Sunchimes 01:22 PM 01-24-2016
Thanks Blackcat. I did not know the regulations. That makes me feel better. I guess I need to be more trusting that the open carriers are law abiding.

I didn't know if the regulations at home and away were different. That's what I was sort of wanting to know.

I didn't take it as rude at all. My kids are 18 months old, one special needs. I spend a lot of time at the store working on not touching things. But, in the 20 minutes or so a week we are in WM, it's hard for the lessons to stick. It's not like I go every day or even buy a bill of groceries. It's just run in, pick up a few things and back out.

I think I'm going to classify this as a "be aware but don't overthink it" issue and not worry too much about it. Thanks guys. I think I lost perspective there for a minute.
laundrymom 01:32 PM 01-24-2016
Blackcat, what regulation is that? Is it for your state?
Here we don't have an open or concealed carry definition on our permit. Just a right to carry. And there are no, to my knowledge, rules for locked and loaded or not.
Blackcat31 04:12 PM 01-24-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Blackcat, what regulation is that? Is it for your state?
Here we don't have an open or concealed carry definition on our permit. Just a right to carry. And there are no, to my knowledge, rules for locked and loaded or not.
Your state, like mine is a limited discretion “shall issue” state which requires a gun safety course before being permitted. State approved gun safety courses all teach correct or best practice rules for carrying. I guess I've never heard of one that doesn't teach/instruct the same or similar rules I mentioned above.
I suppose it isn't necessarily the law (I haven't really read or reaseached any deeper) but it seems to be basic practice so far in my experiences. All the laws are available here: http://smartgunlaws.org/concealed-we...summary/#state
MunchkinWrangler 08:04 PM 01-24-2016
And to be honest, a responsible gun owner will do these things. To not have it loaded and the safety on is to make sure the gun doesn't just go off. But if you're going to carry and were in a situation, you are taught how to load and unlock the safety and it's something that should be practiced, honestly.

There are special holsters that make it easy to 'grab and go' so to speak. I don't speak from experience but I also have many ex military friends and police officer family members that basically have said that if you take up the responsibility to own a firearm, you need to know how to use it and properly carry if that's what you're going to do. You can take special courses as well to help you act, you could possibly save a life.
Laurel 05:00 AM 01-25-2016
Thanks Blackcat. I did not know the regulations. That makes me feel better. I guess I need to be more trusting that the open carriers are law abiding.

I didn't know if the regulations at home and away were different. That's what I was sort of wanting to know.

I didn't take it as rude at all. My kids are 18 months old, one special needs. I spend a lot of time at the store working on not touching things. But, in the 20 minutes or so a week we are in WM, it's hard for the lessons to stick. It's not like I go every day or even buy a bill of groceries. It's just run in, pick up a few things and back out.

I think I'm going to classify this as a "be aware but don't overthink it" issue and not worry too much about it. Thanks guys. I think I lost perspective there for a minute.
Not me. I can't imagine why anyone would need a gun out in a Walmart. If you're that afraid to shop there maybe you should order your stuff online.

I am not against guns. We used to have two until they got stolen and we didn't see the need to buy any more.
midaycare 05:23 AM 01-25-2016
In my opinion, it's not the people who get the open carry licenses you need to be concerned about. It's the ones who don't.

If you are going to have to deal with open carry, better to just face it straight on, or move to a state that will never allow it.
Blackcat31 05:44 AM 01-25-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
In my opinion, it's not the people who get the open carry licenses you need to be concerned about. It's the ones who don't.

If you are going to have to deal with open carry, better to just face it straight on, or move to a state that will never allow it.

Most people who take the time to get the proper permits and trainings are respectful and obedient of the law.

They are "trained" and comfortable with carrying and using a fire arm.
laundrymom 06:57 AM 01-25-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Your state, like mine is a limited discretion “shall issue” state which requires a gun safety course before being permitted. State approved gun safety courses all teach correct or best practice rules for carrying. I guess I've never heard of one that doesn't teach/instruct the same or similar rules I mentioned above.
I suppose it isn't necessarily the law (I haven't really read or reaseached any deeper) but it seems to be basic practice so far in my experiences. All the laws are available here: http://smartgunlaws.org/concealed-we...summary/#state
Actually, Indiana does not require any training. Just a background check. And for the record I carry every single time I leave the house. Unless I'm going somewhere strictly prohibited. Like a government building or my child's school. It doesn't matter where I'm going. It's not a "if you don't feel safe" issue. It's just the way I am. I feel perfectly safe in most environments. But that can change in a split second. I was raped at our local county fair at 13. I will never be that helpless again. I sometimes open carry. Sometimes conceal carry but it has more to do with the holster I choose that day than anything else. I really don't think the legal gun owners, like me, are a worry for the typical shopper. I think you'd be better off worrying about the crazed meth head or drug dealer. If anything, you should feel safer around me.
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 01-25-2016
Actually, Indiana does not require any training. Just a background check. And for the record I carry every single time I leave the house. Unless I'm going somewhere strictly prohibited. Like a government building or my child's school. It doesn't matter where I'm going. It's not a "if you don't feel safe" issue. It's just the way I am. I feel perfectly safe in most environments. But that can change in a split second. I was raped at our local county fair at 13. I will never be that helpless again. I sometimes open carry. Sometimes conceal carry but it has more to do with the holster I choose that day than anything else. I really don't think the legal gun owners, like me, are a worry for the typical shopper. I think you'd be better off worrying about the crazed meth head or drug dealer. If anything, you should feel safer around me.

I agree, YOU are not who people should be concerned about.
Laurel 09:38 AM 01-25-2016

Maybe if they open carry in a store they should be required to have a laminated 'photo' license of some sort and be required to wear it somewhere (like a lanyard around their neck maybe) where it is visible. Otherwise, how do we even know they have a license?
Laurel 09:45 AM 01-25-2016
My daughter was raped years ago and said the same thing as you. She never wanted to feel that helpless again. She got a concealed weapon license and a gun but she doesn't have it anymore.

I don't feel safer when I see someone with a weapon unless it is a police officer in uniform. I have no idea if that person is carrying it legally or not.
midaycare 11:18 AM 01-25-2016
My daughter was raped years ago and said the same thing as you. She never wanted to feel that helpless again. She got a concealed weapon license and a gun but she doesn't have it anymore.

I don't feel safer when I see someone with a weapon unless it is a police officer in uniform. I have no idea if that person is carrying it legally or not.
People who had an illegal weapon would hide it.
Laurel 04:52 PM 01-25-2016
People who had an illegal weapon would hide it.
They wouldn't need to. They could just blend in and then use it when they saw an opportunity. Now if it were not legal and I saw a guy with a gun I'd get out of there or take cover or whatever. But if I had learned to ignore guys with guns because I had the false sense of security that anyone carrying one openly must be a good guy then I'd be taking my chances. That's how I see it anyway.
jenboo 06:02 PM 01-25-2016
Not me. I can't imagine why anyone would need a gun out in a Walmart. If you're that afraid to shop there maybe you should order your stuff online.

I am not against guns. We used to have two until they got stolen and we didn't see the need to buy any more.
Apparently you haven't lived in Vegas
A very unfortunate incident happened at Walmart. A citizen who was carrying tried to stop the person who just shot two cops who were eating lunch but unfortunately didn't know there were two people and the other one shot him.
Ariana 11:42 AM 01-26-2016
If someone wants to shoot you they will so you either choose to live in fear or you carry on about your business. 90% of people out there are good people...even the meth addicts. Don't let the media make you believe you should be in constant fear for your life. I personally think that most people who carry guns do so for a valid reason like was mentioned above and they carry it correctly as a means for self defense should the opportunity arise. I am Canadian so I may have a different view on it since it is illegal here.
Tags:guns, open carry
Reply Up