Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Using Beans?
Play Care 05:50 AM 01-03-2017
I would like to add more black beans to our meals but I have picky eaters

Any good recipes that have them in there, but maybe "hidden?"
LysesKids 07:20 AM 01-03-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:

I do all sorts of beans at least 2 times a week; that said I have infants/younger toddlers only so they learn to eat them from the get go lol. I wouldn't try to hide the veggies, just make it fun, like have an ethnic day and make all the food based on the particular country you pick (make fake passports etc so kids can 'travel'). I start doing that once i have at least 2 littles at 12 months or older... maybe Mexican black beans with rice and Tacos one day
Leigh 07:33 AM 01-03-2017
I serve black beans on nachos, tacos, in burritos, and on taco salads. Some kids like them as a side, some like them on the entree. Just keep serving them and eventually, they'll eat them.
Baby Beluga 11:27 AM 01-03-2017
Not so much hidden, but here is what I do with black beans:

Tacos - half turkey meat and half beans.

Rice bowls - I use rice (either brown, cilantro, basmati or mexican, whatever I have on hand) and mix in shredded chicken or ground turkey, black beans, corn and bell peppers.

Chicken and black bean quesadillas - shredded cheese, shredded chicken and black beans in a tortilla.

Black bean burgers - I use the Pioneer Woman's recipe.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...an-burger.html

Breakfast burritos or bowls - scrambled eggs, black beans, bell peppers, onion and sometimes sausage or ham if I have it on hand.

For snack we will have black beans and bell pepper slices, black beans and tortilla chips and sometimes black beans with cut up tortilla shells.
laundrymom 04:36 PM 01-03-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:

I do them in quesadillas.
We have a bean and sour cream dip we use for thin veggies.
My kids will eat diced tomatoes w black beans. Just plain and on a plate. Lol
LysesKids 07:25 AM 01-04-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I totally get this... my littles love picking beans up off their plates. Now little man ( just turned 12 months) has trouble picking up diced mangoes; they slip out of his tiny hands and he looks at me like what just happened ? lol
Play Care 09:54 AM 01-04-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I like the quesadillas! I do need to hide them for my one kiddo.
My baby led weaning kiddo is becoming a champion eater, so I'm hopeful.
daycarediva 07:48 AM 01-05-2017
I serve beans ALL the time. All different kinds, they especially love garbanzo beans as finger food.

I put them in taco meat, cooked/ crushed for my picky eater, and obviously in the meat or just plain for my non picky eaters.
Tigerlilly 05:04 PM 12-28-2017
Budget bytes is filled with lots of bean recipes. It even breaksaid down the cost per serving. Love that site.
hwichlaz 05:15 PM 12-28-2017
Ground up and mixed with seasonings like falafel.
Mom2Two 12:24 PM 01-04-2018
Originally Posted by Tigerlilly:
Budget bytes is filled with lots of bean recipes. It even breaksaid down the cost per serving. Love that site.
Oooh, I'm going to look that one up.

I make cheese/bean torilla wraps that I just microwave enough to get warn. I cut them and serve as much as the kids want.

Other than that, I just serve them on their own or heated with cheese in a little bowl with corn chips.
alyssahenderson 02:08 AM 04-27-2018
Thanks for posting this. I also have the same question.
flossie 12:35 PM 05-26-2018
I've been able to add them to my menu by adding a spread of refried beans to cheese quesadillas and by making a cold corn/bean/bell pepper salad. I'm intending to take a risk on the next menu cycle and add whole black beans to their quesadillas instead of the refried. I did try to make a bean dip for veggies with cannellini beans - they did not like it. Heck, I didn't like it. (Had lemon and was too tart.) I'll try another recipe again some time. I also made a white bean soup that went over ok and may or may not make that again. While the kids didn't eat much of it, the teachers liked it.
Tags:black beans
Reply Up