Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Have Commercial Auto Insurance
SilverSabre25 02:25 PM 02-16-2012
for driving daycare kids?

Just got a quote from Geico and am curious if it's a good amount or not.

If you don't mind sharing...how much do you pay? Where do you get the insurance from?
Michael 02:34 PM 02-16-2012
I have commercial for my business car. Its $4000 a year.
daycare 02:50 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
for driving daycare kids?

Just got a quote from Geico and am curious if it's a good amount or not.

If you don't mind sharing...how much do you pay? Where do you get the insurance from?
Well I fought my insurance company on this for 3 months. They tried to tell me that if I drive the daycare kids around that I had to have commercial insurance and in this case if would cost me about $400.00 a month.

I was able to define my transportation needs with them and did not have to purchase commercial ins. I pay about $210.00 a month and this is for 2 vehicles both very new and it is based on a half million dollar policy. We both have outstanding driving records and I also have a limit on how much I can drive the kids around.

BTW commercial ins is defined as needing to transport everyday in order to complete the job in which you are getting paid for. Example. If you advertise that you will drop off and pick up DCKs, then according to my insurance co, Allstate, you would need to have commercial insurance.

In my case, we only travel by car for our wants... Want to go to the library, want to go to the park and etc
Sunchimes 03:06 PM 02-16-2012
I'm not sure if the amounts would vary depending on your business, but I'll throw my info in the ring. My hubby has commercial insurance on his truck. Our regular carrier wanted a lot of money for it. I found a policy at Geico for $250 a year, which was less than our old company wanted for 6 months. But, no day care kids are involved. Prices may be really different when transporting people.

We had to have commercial because he pulls a small trailer 3 days a week.
countrymom 06:37 PM 02-16-2012
what happens if you have your logo on the window, does that mean its commercial. I use it for advertising purposes, but I drive only when I "want" to, like to the school, or do an errand with the kids. I don't pick up or drop off.
SilverSabre25 06:57 AM 02-17-2012
Thank you for the information guys!

Does anyone know where I can find information on state law regarding the commercial auto insurance thing? I really don't think it applies to me, as daycare described for her situation. I could call back...but yesterdays call took 45 minutes and three transfers! I don't know if they will listen to me anyway.

I only will be driving around my 2 children and up to 4 daycare children, largely going to and from DD's preschool and fun "field trip" type places (zoo, science museum, park, library...) so I don't *really* think that the commercial part applies. This will be our family vehicle I;m using, not a huge thing...
MarinaVanessa 07:37 AM 02-17-2012
I have regular home insurance through State Farm and purchsed a liability insurance rider for my daycare. My rider covers my vehicles and the passengers in case of an accident if the daycare children or staff were riding in it. I don't pay hardly anything for it but I've heard that each State is sometimes different and the rates differ.
Sunchimes 08:33 AM 02-17-2012
I'm allowed 3 dck on my personal policy with Farm Bureau. More than that and I would have to have commercial.
Kim 06:00 PM 04-08-2012
I'm trying to figure this all out as well. I have a 12 passenger van and we travel on occasion to visit the library- usually less than 5 trips out per month in the nicer weather months and usually don't go anywhere in the winter. My current insurance company says it's fine as long as I'm not transporting kids to and from anywhere like a taxi service on a daily basis. Now we are calling around for quotes for other companies and some have told me it doesn't matter how often I transport if I ever have the daycare kids in the van I need commercial insurance. I'm also being told that if I put a sign on my van for advertising that I need commercial insurance because I'm technically using it as a business vehicle even if I am just going to the grocery store in the evening by myself without any daycare kids in the van.

I feel like I do nothing but pay insurance- I have a rider on my homeowners for my daycare. I also have a separate one million dollar policy through DCI specifically for my daycare business and that policy also includes auto transportation coverage for enrolled children (not actual car insurance). It will take me broke if I have to have a commercial policy for transporting kids.
Unregistered 06:11 AM 11-15-2013
Having insurance coverage as an additional rider or increasing your liability to transport daycare children sounds logical and makes sense, HOWEVER, it does not cover you in the event of an accident should parents decide to sue you in a civil court in the event of an accident. You can still be sued and still be held responsible in an accident. I have decided not to transport children in my vehicle for that reason. You can have a great relationship with your parents that could turn very ugly if their children are injured while in your vehicle. Just a personal choice.
VTMom 06:28 AM 11-15-2013
I go through Geico (National Indemnity through Geico actually) and it's just $441 a year. It's based on trips to preschool (1 mile away) and trips to playgroup and the library (5 miles away).
AcornMama 10:01 AM 11-15-2013
Originally Posted by Kim:
I'm also being told that if I put a sign on my van for advertising that I need commercial insurance because I'm technically using it as a business vehicle even if I am just going to the grocery store in the evening by myself without any daycare kids in the van.
This is what I was told as well. Our family car is a 15 passenger van, and when we went to get new insurance, it was a big run around. For some reason, this particular company couldn't get their system or software or whatever to recognize that a 15 passenger van could be for non-commercial purposes. This was before I was even thinking about starting a daycare business. We had to send some kind of letter stating that it was not for business purposes, did not have any form of advertising on it, that kind of thing.

When I did start the daycare, I just had to decide that I would not offer transportation. I do have a liability policy for the daycare, though, so there may be an option there. If I really wanted or needed to transport, but I don't right now.

On the plus side, we never keep the back bench in the van, and I have awesome grocery loading space. And I get a little exercise because I'm always parking the behemoth way the heck out there in parking lots.
daycare 10:08 AM 11-15-2013
If you purchase a magnet that you can remove, take off and on and it is not on the vehicle for more than 50% of the time that you use the vehicle, you can use one without having to purchase commercial.

then again, each insurance company writes their policies different. I had to end up changing from All-State to State-Farm because All State refused to let me transport even 1 child without commercial insurance.
caregiver 01:09 PM 11-15-2013
This is exactly why I do not take my daycare kids anywhere that I need to use my car. The insurance, liability and getting into a accident with other people's children is why I have stayed away from transporting daycare kids.
If we can't get somewhere by walking then we don't go.
In fact I have had and have parents now that prefer that I don't take the kids anywhere in my car. For me, there is just too much that can happen and I don't want to take any chances. I would feel so horrible if God forbid, I got into a car accident with the daycare kids. I am a very good driver and have never been in any accident, but that doesn't mean that it would not happen.

I have a DCB, who is 4 yrs old that goes to a preschool 3x's a week in the mornings. I told the parents that they will have to find a way to get him there as I do not take kids in my car. No problem, they have a friend whose daughter is going to the same preschool and the Mom picks up and drops him back off here after preschool.

If I need to run errands, go shopping etc, I go at night or on the weekends.
Unregistered 09:09 AM 11-16-2013
If you are transporting people in your vehicle and you are making a profit for said transportation, it is business use in most states.

Therefore, you need to talk to your insurance company.

They'll ask you how many days per month. If you transport 1 x per month, that won't be considered business but if you do it 3 days per week or something, that most definitely will.

If you do not disclose the information and you make a claim, your claim can be denied for AND you can be nonrenewed.

It's a tricky situation. I would contact a licensed agent for your state.
sleepinghart 10:11 AM 11-16-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Thank you for the information guys!

Does anyone know where I can find information on state law regarding the commercial auto insurance thing? I really don't think it applies to me, as daycare described for her situation. I could call back...but yesterdays call took 45 minutes and three transfers! I don't know if they will listen to me anyway.

I only will be driving around my 2 children and up to 4 daycare children, largely going to and from DD's preschool and fun "field trip" type places (zoo, science museum, park, library...) so I don't *really* think that the commercial part applies. This will be our family vehicle I;m using, not a huge thing...

~I don't know if this link will help you or not, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post it just to make sure and to be safe. It is--

http://www.dmv.org/insurance/commerc...quirements.php
Unregistered 03:50 PM 11-16-2013
Originally Posted by sleepinghart:
~I don't know if this link will help you or not, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post it just to make sure and to be safe. It is--

http://www.dmv.org/insurance/commerc...quirements.php
Also even though state laws may be different from place to place, keep in mind, some insurers do not write certain types of policies. I know where I work, we do not. We refer them out.
danmajor 06:38 PM 11-19-2013
found u guys for a search for day care car insurance.

i'm also looking for information regarding commercial insurance for day care vehicles.

i originally got a quote from http://www.4autoinsurancequote.com/l...uto-insurance/ for my big van, but they quoted me at just $262 for 6 month policy... and based on some of the other quotes i've seen in this thread, that seems too good to be true

are there any companies that specialize in this type of insurance? i also got quotes from GEICO, allstate, and state farm, but they seem to be giving me outrageous rates for my day care van

i'll be doing business in upstate new york... PM me if anybody has ideas
Unregistered 10:02 AM 12-29-2017
If you're driving around with a magnet sign on your auto advertising your business you should only have to have a "business class" rating for your personal auto policy for that vehicle. If you're using your auto in your actual business (ie. daycare van transporting kids or ex. dump truck hauling debris/dirt) then you need a commercial auto policy due to the liability exposures. Your personal auto insurer will not cover the added risks on a personal auto policy which is why they offer a business rate class on personal if you're technically not using your auto as a part of your business but. Simply put, if your vehicle is a working component of your business the you need commercial. If it's merely advertising for your business then a business rate class on personal auto will suffice.
Tigerlilly 10:17 AM 12-29-2017
Nope, I will not drive daycare kids around in my vehicle ever. I live in a college town and have some of the worst drivers I have ever seen. And anything could happen. Not worth it.
Tags:insurance - auto
Reply Up