Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice needed- possible mini vacation in 4 weeks
TheGoodLife 01:23 PM 08-04-2014
I started one new family today, and have another next Monday. My mom has been pushing us to take a vacation to Disney and called to let me know she found airfare for $200- a HUGE savings! I think I told my second family of the possibility of taking a few days off in Sept/Oct, but I didn't know about it for the first. Nervous about taking time off within a month of a new family starting- I do get up to 10 days and have only taken 3 this year, but this would be the first time I'm taking more than a day off at a one since I started 2 years ago! Anyone had this happened or any advice as to the best way to approach the new family (both teachers, so just starting a new year)
Blackcat31 05:10 PM 08-04-2014
I would just tell them that you didn't say anything during the interview but since they signed on now, you need to let them know of a few dates you won't be available since you booked this BEFORE they signed on but didn't know the actual dates.

I'm sure if you let them know now, they will have no issues since it's plenty of time to find a back up.
childcarebytori 08:26 PM 08-04-2014
Just had this same situation.

I enrolled three new kids this week. I'm closed for vacation the last week of August. My vacations are paid but I offered the new families 1/2 rate for the week. My current families got a year notice for my vacations - new families got three weeks

I felt that the 1/2 rate was fair for both of us.
SignMeUp 09:11 PM 08-04-2014
You can give them a month's notice, so if that fits your stated policy, you should be fine. If you allow for ten days per year, they should expect something close to a day per month off anyway.

I just had to do this in May and June, with a new infant and her family. They started in early May. I had a vacation over an extended Memorial Day weekend and then had to add in an extra day later for a doctor appointment, fairly last minute, and I felt terrible. They were great though, and said, Of course you should go to the doctor! When I let them know about my trip over Memorial Day, they said, Good! You will be all refreshed and ready for kids again!

If they know that they are on their own for your "off" days, they are already prepared to deal with it, and just need proper notice to handle it.
TheGoodLife 05:49 AM 08-07-2014
Giving official notice today for a 3 day vacation! My mom is helping us take the 3 girls to Disneyland!!!!!!!!! I notified everyone that it was a possibility, and we got the plans tickets yesterday! My DDs are 2, 3, and 4- I can't wait it's a fault a month's notice so hopefully that is fair for everyone. It's our first family vacation ever and I'm so grateful that my mom is doing this for us, hoping it will be as stress free as taking 3 little ones can be. (She took me and my now 4 year old 2 years again while I was 7 months pregnant, but my oldest DD is my "easy" one)
Can't wait until next month
SignMeUp 06:11 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
Giving official notice today for a 3 day vacation! My mom is helping us take the 3 girls to Disneyland!!!!!!!!! I notified everyone that it was a possibility, and we got the plans tickets yesterday! My DDs are 2, 3, and 4- I can't wait it's a fault a month's notice so hopefully that is fair for everyone. It's our first family vacation ever and I'm so grateful that my mom is doing this for us, hoping it will be as stress free as taking 3 little ones can be. (She took me and my now 4 year old 2 years again while I was 7 months pregnant, but my oldest DD is my "easy" one)
Can't wait until next month
HAPPY FOR YOU
TheGoodLife 09:56 PM 08-08-2014
New DCM (the one whom I hadn't mentioned the possibility of a vacation during the interview) was genuinely happy for us, so that was great! Now to wait until September 6th
Reply Up