Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ever Seen This?
Josiegirl 05:16 AM 03-22-2016
Four yo dcg has some issues, possibly neurological, speech problems. But recently I had seen dcg crossing her eyes, not a lot but maybe 3 times in the past 2 weeks. I didn't give it any thought because I thought she was being silly and doing it on purpose. It seemed to happen when I was talking to her. Dcm brought it up this a.m.; they had just noticed it and asked if I'd seen it. She said dcg cannot do it when asked to do it. What do you make of it?? She has an appt. Thursday so will ask about it then but wondered if anyone had seen it happen before?
e.j. 05:40 AM 03-22-2016
Several members of my family have a "wantering" eye. They've all worn eye patches for a bit and then glasses to help. I think, depending on the severity, surgery is sometimes needed. It hasn't been a big problem for any of my family members. None needed surgery. http://www.strabismus.org/all_about_strabismus.html
Thriftylady 06:09 AM 03-22-2016
I would suggest they take her to an eye doctor. This is probably not something she does on purpose and likely has something to do with the eye muscles. I had a "lazy" eye. I had eye therapy for many years, and when that didn't help it I had two surgeries (the first one wasn't successful, wasn't done quite right or something). The second surgery corrected that issue. I still only see with one eye at a time, usually my right because it is my stronger eye. The surgery I had was on the eye muscle. I am not sure if surgery would be a correction of course for this kiddo, but wonder if it is a muscle thing.
crunchymama 06:56 AM 03-22-2016
Sounds like lazy eye.
MunchkinWrangler 06:58 AM 03-22-2016
I would say vision problem. Either she's trying to focus or like Thrifty said a wandering eye.
Snowmom 07:36 AM 03-22-2016
You mentioned the possibility of neurological and speech problems. For that reason alone, I'd be a little more concerned about the onset of eye issues.
It could be that the brain is telling dck to not "use" the eye.
If that's the case, they will patch the eye for extended periods of time during the day to re-train the brain to use it.

Oddly enough, I've seen it personally in two kids under 5 yrs old. One had delays from birth and the other had a cataract. Both ended up having surgery because the brain couldn't fix the issue (after a year of eye patches). Both see fine now with glasses.

I'm glad the parents are pro-active and are going to get it checked out!
Josiegirl 09:19 AM 03-22-2016
Thanks everybody. Lazy eye or something similar didn't occur to me; worse things did though. This dcg has been through so many things that the parents do know about and are finding out possibilities of other things that might have happened to her too because they had happened to her siblings at the time. Very sad and some things they will never ever know the answers to.
I'll talk with her again at p/u time. But thank you for your replies. I appreciate it very much!
Michael 11:26 AM 03-22-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
You mentioned the possibility of neurological and speech problems. For that reason alone, I'd be a little more concerned about the onset of eye issues.
It could be that the brain is telling dck to not "use" the eye.
If that's the case, they will patch the eye for extended periods of time during the day to re-train the brain to use it.
I agree with this. She should be taken to the doctor.
e.j. 11:56 AM 03-22-2016
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Several members of my family have a "wantering" eye.
Oops! Meant to type "wandering" I miss not being able to correct my typos!
NightOwl 12:25 PM 03-22-2016
This could be a very subtle, almost unnoticeable type of seizure. She needs a neuro work up in addition to the eye exam. I've had a good bit of experience with seizures (former dck, former employee, my brother, all epileptic), so I wouldn't leave this possibility untouched, especially if neuro issues are already present.
NightOwl 12:27 PM 03-22-2016
They're called absence seizures and can last a millisecond.
Josiegirl 02:03 PM 03-22-2016
Originally Posted by NightOwl:
They're called absence seizures and can last a millisecond.
Hmmm, interesting. When she first started coming here a couple years ago, she'd have this 'space out' moment, didn't seem to last long but if you called her name or anything she wouldn't respond. They weren't really sure what caused them and it doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Thank you for those thoughts, I'll pass that onto the mom too.
MotherNature 10:06 PM 03-23-2016
definitely- to the eye dr. my mom has a lazy eye. If they would've treated it correctly in the late 50s, she would be fine. Now, she's discovered she' nearly blind in that ye an the other eyes been comping it for 60 yrs. yes- suggest an exam.
Josiegirl 02:49 AM 03-24-2016
I caught it happening again yesterday; the only times I've ever noticed it is when I'm sitting a little distance away and she's talking to me. At lunch yesterday it happened so I asked her if her eyes hurt, first time she said yes, 2nd time it happened she said no. But she also was laughing and saying 'I see 2 Josies, I see 2 _____'. From everything I've read online it could definitely be some sort of lazy eye issue going on. She is going to a dr. today anyways and is definitely going to bring it up with them.
childcaremom 03:59 AM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I caught it happening again yesterday; the only times I've ever noticed it is when I'm sitting a little distance away and she's talking to me. At lunch yesterday it happened so I asked her if her eyes hurt, first time she said yes, 2nd time it happened she said no. But she also was laughing and saying 'I see 2 Josies, I see 2 _____'. From everything I've read online it could definitely be some sort of lazy eye issue going on. She is going to a dr. today anyways and is definitely going to bring it up with them.
Hope everything is alright with your little one.
Tags:lazy eye, neurological issues
Reply Up